Allergies Affecting Baby?

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything regarding an allergic reaction during pregnancy making baby more susceptible to developing that allergy?
I am having a moment of terribly irrational anxiety because I got stung by a wasp two days ago and the sting is so itchy and swollen and now I am thinking what if this exposure is the start of a deathly allergy to all wasps and bees for baby and I wind up having to follow baby around with epi-pens for the rest of its life? ( I often write in run-on sentences when I am worried!)
I know that there is evidence that a nut allergy can be inherited if a mother who is allergic to nuts eats them during pregnancy (though why you would eat nuts at all if you are allergic to them, I don't know).
I am not allergic to bees and wasps - at least not the life-threatening type of allergy. The reaction to the sting isn't anywhere near anaphylaxis, but is this a risk for baby?
Anyone know anything about this?

I'm not sure but it's a good question to ask. I have a severe egg allergy and I do go into anaphylatic shock if I consume them. Neither of my parents have the allergy nor did they have any indication that i was until they fed me an egg and I almost died.

im allergic to nuts and the midwife told me to not eat them but dont see why i would anyway and i heard dont know whether it true or not but i heard if the mother has asthma and suffers with it really bad during pregnancy its a sign the baby is going to suffer with it but dont hold me to that, thats just something i heard on tv.

im allergic to nuts and the midwife told me to not eat them but dont see why i would anyway and i heard dont know whether it true or not but i heard if the mother has asthma and suffers with it really bad during pregnancy its a sign the baby is going to suffer with it but dont hold me to that, thats just something i heard on tv.

haha @ MWs redundant statement :rofl:

I don't think it would affect the baby. From what I've read babies are more likely to develop allergies if one or both parents suffer from them, but that doesn't dictate what types of allergies the baby will get or what the baby will be allergic to

We can't win!
I just read an online article in the news about some Danish study that found a strong correlation between eating nuts in pregnancy and having a baby with asthma.
?!?!!!!
Give me a break!
Nuts are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. They're loaded with minerals and good fats and protein.
I have eaten them throughout my pregnancy - partly at the recommendation of the majority of the preggo books I've read!
The scientists in the study said that the next step was to have other independent bodies reproduce their results in new tests, so I'm NOT going to get fussed about this.
And they're looking for causes of asthma in diet?
Let's use some common sense and maybe try making a connection between air pollution and breathing problems!
Okay.
Rant over!
Whew.

Don't believe the asthma thing. My sis has bronchial asthma (had it since she was born), allergies and exema (sp?), she had to have a c-section 2 weeks before her due date coz of her asthma (they won't induce as the gel causes asthma attacks). And her daughter doesn't have the same problems as my sis.

I had an allergic reaction to chinese over christmas. Can't tell you if she has it yet though.. :rofl:

I don't think there is any corellation. I am personaly allergic to fresh nuts, fruit and veggies. I am mildly (for the most part) allergic but keep benedryl with me anyway. I do eat all of the above but in moderation. Could you imagine trying to live without eating fresh veggies or fruits?
I have had three children while eating these things and none of my children have allergies of any kind! They are healthy as can be.
BTW when my mom was carrying me she became allergic to the metal nickel. I am allergic to nickel. So I did not pick up my moms allergy but while pregnant she picked up mine!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->