Almost exclusive pumping, and hyperlactation. Help.

Beadle

Reaction score
So I am about 99% sure I have figured out my breast feeding problems, I think I have hyperlactation, everything adds up to that but I'm going to try and get a hold of a LC sometime this week, if I can, to see if it that for sure. But my problem is that between the hyperlactation and my large breast size LO can't breastfeed that well so I'm only nursing a couple times a day and even then she throws fits and will only nurse for a couple of minutes before giving up (and ends up drenched...), otherwise I'm exclusively pumping and feeding her from a bottle.

Now the pumping is causing my milk to increase, which makes the pain even worse and the extra pressure is seeming to make the stream even stronger/harder when I nurse. What can I do? Is there a schedule I can try and get on for pumping to get my supply to decrease/weaken but not so much that I can't BF anymore? Has anyone has this issue? I don't want to go back to exclusive nursing, I was intending to mostly pump to begin with but the pain from all of this is making me consider just switching to formula, but that's a last resort. Even icing/heat packs aren't helping much with the pain, so I really need to figure something out.

I believe this is why pumping under 6 weeks is not recommended, it can increase oversupply. But for some, pumping has to be done. I for one, had to bring in my supply by pump. Others have oversupply and pump to feed the baby, and then the pumping increases the oversupply. It's a vicious cycle.

Is the "drenching" only occurring at let down? for the whole feed? I would assume it is at first and it tapers, which is how overactive let down usually works. I would suggest you either letting her feed a bit and then removing her while letting the "fire hose" like spray go into a towel or cloth, and then when it dies down offer her the breast again. If it is really bad, pump for a moment (not too long or you risk increasing supply) before feeding to get that first rush of milk. The flow slows after a little bit.

Well I wasn't planning on nursing at all originally but the reason why I started pumping after I came home was because as soon as my milk came in this started, I tried it for almost two days with nursing like that and she was struggling so much I started pumping and that's when it increased again.

As for when the jet occurs, I don't know any of these terms, like let down or anything like that. I just know that she will only try nursing for a max of 5 minutes but pulls away every few seconds and each time I squirt a bit, I've had to start laying down a burp rag so I don't get her clothes wet. She refuses to nurse more than that short time so I don't know if it's really a constant thing or if it's an initial thing. But I do know that I expressed in the shower this morning for several minutes because I was in so much pain and the entire time, with barely even touching to express, it was jetting out, I don't know how long each of these phases of feedings are, so again idk whether the speed will last the entire time or not, but it does with pumping, even on the lowest setting.

I've gone most of the day without pumping, just dealing with the pain, and then expressing only a small amount when I did pump. So I'm hoping if I can get onto a schedule by doing that and being strict with the amount maybe my body will learn how much to produce and level out a little. Or does it not work like that?

Well I wasn't planning on nursing at all originally but the reason why I started pumping after I came home was because as soon as my milk came in this started, I tried it for almost two days with nursing like that and she was struggling so much I started pumping and that's when it increased again.

As for when the jet occurs, I don't know any of these terms, like let down or anything like that. I just know that she will only try nursing for a max of 5 minutes but pulls away every few seconds and each time I squirt a bit, I've had to start laying down a burp rag so I don't get her clothes wet. She refuses to nurse more than that short time so I don't know if it's really a constant thing or if it's an initial thing. But I do know that I expressed in the shower this morning for several minutes because I was in so much pain and the entire time, with barely even touching to express, it was jetting out, I don't know how long each of these phases of feedings are, so again idk whether the speed will last the entire time or not, but it does with pumping, even on the lowest setting.

I've gone most of the day without pumping, just dealing with the pain, and then expressing only a small amount when I did pump. So I'm hoping if I can get onto a schedule by doing that and being strict with the amount maybe my body will learn how much to produce and level out a little. Or does it not work like that?

Okay. When your LO starts sucking, usually a little faster a first, it triggers a reflex in your body. This is called "Let down" it has been called a "milk ejection reflex", that is what it does, it ejects milk from farther up in your breasts. For some people, they can feel it (I do) others don't. This is why there will be no milk when you are not nursing, but the sucking triggers your body to put out milk. It will come out much faster at the beginning. For some people, it is fast, for others, it is SUPER fast (like it sounds like you have). This can be because your letdown is just fast always, or because you are engorged. It is typically worse when you are engorged.

Some things you can do - feed lying down with your baby beside you - this will keep gravity from shoving milk out faster. Watch her, when the milk starts flowing really fast, you might hear her choking on it or see it come out the corners of her mouth, unlatch her and hold a towel to catch the milk until it stops shooting out. keep her off until it stops shooting at all. Then let her latch back on. This will keep it from shooting into her mouth.

Try not to pump, if you can. If you do, just a wee bit to take the pressure off. She may not drink much at a time, her belly is itty bitty right now. Just offer her the breast frequently, this will help you and her because it will keep you from getting so engorged.

Some good reading: https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I hope I am somewhat helpful, if you have any more questions or need any clarification on what I said please let me know. I have to leave the office now, but I will check back later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->