Alternative (to hormonal) Contraceptives

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
So after some research and talking to some other people, I've decided I'd prefer to come off the pill altogether. The main reasons I'm on it are 1 - it was stopping my periods (which it's not now anyway) and 2 - so we didn't have to use a barrier method.

Sooo, I've narrowed it down to two choices:

-Copper IUD
-Natural Family Planning (Eg Persona)

I'm concerned about the Copper IUD because of the risk of infection, the small chance of damage to my uterus (perforation etc) and because I've read a LOT of people's comments about it making periods longer and heavier (and sometimes more painful). There ARE, however, a couple of people who have had good experiences with it, it's not effected their cycle and they generally feel normal. Other pluses include that I wouldn't have to think about it too much, it hasn't got as many side effects and it shouldn't effect fertility.

Now, natural family planning - I have a Persona in the UK that I never got a chance to use. While I was researching that I found a couple of devices which looked better, but were in the US. Now that I'm in the US I can't find them!!! Any suggestions of a similar thing to Persona but available over here?

Just wanted to hear some opinions from people who use these methods or have experience with them and what they thought.

TIA.

I have a Mirena in, personally I would not get the copper, I've heard it can make periods heavier and more painful.. and that was a main reason for me getting the IUD! :)

Is there a reason you don't want to use condoms or spermicide maybe?

Just don't like it. I always end up going back on the pill after a short period of time anyway, so I thought I'd look into alternatives. I'm also slightly sensitive to latex so I don't think I'd get on with spermicide (though I haven't looked into it all that much, just heard it can irritate and I'm quite sensitive to a lot of things!!).

See I've been reading a LOT about the Copper giving heavier periods etc, but I figured maybe I'd be in the smaller percentage who got on well with it and if not I could always get it taken out!!! :)

ETA: I also think a lot of people have these bad symptoms and get straight online to start complaining about them, whereas if they settled down later on or didn't have any bad symptoms, they're less likely to be eager to put up a big post about how great it is/was as compared to how awful it is/was!

What about non latex condoms? If used correctly they should very rarely fail to work.

I really just don't like condoms. The non-latex ones are more expensive too and I resent paying money out for them anyway :blush:

I'd prefer to go for something more natural; the copper interests me because it's scientific without significantly messing with the way my body works - also as effective as having tubes tied only reversible.

And natural family planning is obviously...natural! Learning to get more in tune with the way your body works. :)

Just wondering people with the Mirena, have you experienced many side-effects? I just don't really get on with any kind of hormonal contraceptive, I find it always changes me in a way I don't like... I WAS looking at the patch or Mirena, but it's obviously hormonal again and I'm just wanting to try and get away from that.

Mirena-- side effects for me..
When it was put in - lots of CM for 2 days
Got my period on time a week later, no cramping before my period (usually I cramp for a week ish before AF comes and I have cramps the whole time).. the flow was lighter, but lasted longer than the "5 day standard" still.. but I'm used to at least 7 day periods, so it wasn't a big issue for me, it was lighter.
No side effects after really to speak of.. I had a bit of spotting after I had sex for about a week after AF, like brown/dark red blood, andddd I find when I use any contraception with any hormones I get a bit bitchier, like I'm still "myself" 99% of the time lol but I am quicker to lose my temper or get angry if that makes sense :) But I've been like that since I had Elyse too, so IDK if it's just my hormones are all mucked up right now or what!

I understand the not wanting to use condoms thing lol, I haaaaate them!!

Haha, yeah, but my husband actually WANTS to have sex with me!! :rofl:

Mirena-- side effects for me..
When it was put in - lots of CM for 2 days
Got my period on time a week later, no cramping before my period (usually I cramp for a week ish before AF comes and I have cramps the whole time).. the flow was lighter, but lasted longer than the "5 day standard" still.. but I'm used to at least 7 day periods, so it wasn't a big issue for me, it was lighter.
No side effects after really to speak of.. I had a bit of spotting after I had sex for about a week after AF, like brown/dark red blood, andddd I find when I use any contraception with any hormones I get a bit bitchier, like I'm still "myself" 99% of the time lol but I am quicker to lose my temper or get angry if that makes sense :) But I've been like that since I had Elyse too, so IDK if it's just my hormones are all mucked up right now or what!

I understand the not wanting to use condoms thing lol, I haaaaate them!!

Thanks for the insight. :) I find that hormonal contraceptives muck me up and make me just feel wrong; irritable, quicker to get angry etc. Though I've found that I've been better with Alex, maybe because he's more tolerant and doesn't TRY to piss me off; so it could be to do with the choice of partner. :lol:

Yeah, I just do not like them at all. Ruins the mood, you can't just 'delve into the action' and once it's on OH can't feel as much, so THAT in itself just spoils it for me.

xx

I dont like the idea of the coper coil. It dosent so much as prevent pregancy but more causes a extreamly early miscarage.

What a wonderful chance to plug my favourite book. :D And no, the woman's really not paying me. But give "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Tony Wechsler a read. It's well worth it, especially if you want to learn more about your body and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It introduces nfp, as in contraception using temperature charting and monitoring cervical position or mucus, which is as safe as the pill when done properly. I use it along with a persona (which I have because it's "objective" and doesn't depend on me doing things right, other than the POAS part).
Might be the right way for you?

I dont like the idea of the coper coil. It dosent so much as prevent pregancy but more causes a extreamly early miscarage.

really? thats something I was considering because Im not keen hormonal stuff either. completely wipes out my sex drive which ends up being the best form of contraception.

What a wonderful chance to plug my favourite book. :D And no, the woman's really not paying me. But give "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Tony Wechsler a read. It's well worth it, especially if you want to learn more about your body and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It introduces nfp, as in contraception using temperature charting and monitoring cervical position or mucus, which is as safe as the pill when done properly. I use it along with a persona (which I have because it's "objective" and doesn't depend on me doing things right, other than the POAS part).

Thank you for the recommendation :D I'm trying to find a US version of the Persona, but haven't had much luck so far... I'd prefer to do it this way really as it's all in my control, natural, doesn't muck with my body!

I'm also interested to hear more about this. I read the main ways it prevents pregnancy are to kill off the sperm before it has the chance to fertilize an egg.

if an egg dose get fertalised it stops it from ataching to the lining of the womb thus getting rid of a potential healthy embrio

Ikwym about trying natural methods cos I hate hormonal contraception and I hate hate HATE condoms, like you say they completely ruin it IMO but they are what i'm using at the min. Im having the implant put in as you know and this is hormonal contraceptions last chance lol x

I'm desperately trying to get hold of another Persona....emailed a UK seller on ebay and asked if he'd post to the US... He just replied "No. Sorry." =/ WTF? I mean, obviously it's up to him if he posts overseas, but seemed a bit blunt... I generally don't mind posting overseas if someone asks; it gets me a sale and it's not like I wasn't going to the post office in the first place!!! :dohh: It's not like I (the buyer) wouldn't pay the extra shipping either.. :shrug: Oh well.

I have got a Persona at home, asked my mum to find and send it...but I don't know how long it's going to take her to do that. Need to get hold of plenty of test strips too.

Do let me know how you get on with the implant Sovereign. I think I'd prefer to go for the Persona route, but it's whether my cycle settles down quick enough.

xx

I'm desperately trying to get hold of another Persona....emailed a UK seller on ebay and asked if he'd post to the US... He just replied "No. Sorry." =/ WTF? I mean, obviously it's up to him if he posts overseas, but seemed a bit blunt... I generally don't mind posting overseas if someone asks; it gets me a sale and it's not like I wasn't going to the post office in the first place!!! :dohh: It's not like I (the buyer) wouldn't pay the extra shipping either.. :shrug: Oh well.

I have got a Persona at home, asked my mum to find and send it...but I don't know how long it's going to take her to do that. Need to get hold of plenty of test strips too.

Do let me know how you get on with the implant Sovereign. I think I'd prefer to go for the Persona route, but it's whether my cycle settles down quick enough.

xx

My cycles didn't settle down, so i never used my persona xx

After I read the first page of this thread, I thought "I should reccomend Taking Charge of Your Fertility" but I see you beat me to it! :haha:

It really is a great book! I am using it to TTC right now, (just started a few days ago actually!) but I think I'll using the Fertility Awareness Method for birth control after I have a baby. The hormonal birth controls I was on before screwed up my cycle so bad, and like lozzy said they can cause a very very early miscarraige by keeping a fertilized egg from implanting. Plus I really like the idea of being in tune with my body, knowing the signs of ovulation, and being able to predict when my period should come and if I am pregnant.

Edit to Add: to the OP--I'm in the U.S. but I don't even know what a persona is, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->