Am I being overprotective?

F

Fortune Cooki

My baby isn't even born yet and I'm beginning to worry about things like people trying to kiss my baby on the lips. I personally won't do this, because I think it's weird, so I wouldn't want others to do it.

There are very valid arguments to make as well though, given that newborns are so sensitive to illnesses. I just posted this on Facebook while also asking my friends and family what they think about kissing babies on the lips:

https://www.babycenter.com/400_how-do-i-keep-people-from-kissing-my-baby-on-the-lips_500648_0.bc?startIndex=0&sortFieldName=&ModPagespeed=noscript

I hope that I can get my point across in this manner to ensure that I won't have to tell them in person. I feel rather shy and awkward in situations like that, and would really hate to face it, but it is highly important to me to keep my baby as safe as possible.

I wouldn't be worrying about the germs .
You most likely won't have an issue because most people wouldn't feel comfortable kissing someone else's baby like that.

It seems to me like a silly thing to worry about. I never had this issue . I had stranger on the bus try to touch my son or ask to hold him it never kiss him.

That's reassuring. It's just sad though how babies have been hospitalized and have even died, because someone invaded their privacy and got so intimate. I'm shocked to read that family members with active cold sores will kiss babies on the lips. Kissing a baby anywhere with a cold sore can be deadly. I'm really just trying to make sure that everyone who will be seeing my baby doesn't get any crazy ideas.

Most people won't actually do this unless you extended family is from a different culture. and the chance of them passing something more then a cold on to you baby is slim.

The stories you hear are rare and there's other factors they are just ment to scare you . Try not to worry.

Also when it comes to germs . If you put your kid in a bubble when they are a baby, don't let them go out , and disinfect and sterilize everything . Your child once they hit grade school is more likely to be sick more and have allergies or asthma .

I agree with the above.

Those stories are rare, and the person with the cold sore likely didn't know that it's a form of herpes (most people don't know that).

It is fine to tell people not to do it, but I doubt anyone will try unless you're from a culture that does that. I am from a culture that does kiss your babies/parents on the lips. It's just a peck, nothing intimate. I kiss all my kids on the lips and so does their grandparents. But none of us have cold sores and if we did we know better to refrain. And so far my kids have not gotten sick from being kissed.

Only time I would step in is if somebody had a cold sore, we kiss DS on the lips often, it's a way of showing our love and he loves kissing us back, couldn't imagine stopping him for anything, nothing beats a good night kiss.

I kiss my babies on the lips all the time but to me it's okay because they're MY babies lol. No one in my family kisses my kids on the lips though. I don't even like if someone shares their drink or fork/spoon with my kids. Like my brother's gf..not to be funny but do I really know what they do when they're alone?? lol. I don't want it passed to my kids mouth!! I probably sound nuts but I don't care LOL. My mom is the same way. But anyways, as for keeping your kid "in a bubble", so to speak, I totally agree..if you completely keep your kid away from all germs and dirt, they can get sicker than the average kid who has been exposed. Not to say let your kid run wild and get into horrible things but just saying a little germ won't hurt your kid. But as for kissing your baby on the lips, I 100% agree, not tolerable.

The only people who kiss my son on the lips are me, my husband, and my mom. Sometimes his "auntie" (my best friend) does, but in those scenarios, he's the one instigating (he's almost 4) - and I don't think she EVER did it when he was an infant.

Try not to worry too much! I think that strangers doing that sort of thing is super rare - I've NEVER had it happen. Touching is another thing... but kissing on the lips? Nooo.

I'm with you OP, I don't like seeing babies or children in general being kissed on the lips. That's my personal choice so don't want to offend anyone. I don't plan to do it with my baby so no chance I'm letting anyone else! I can feel a bit awkward in those situations but I will defo speak up. For someone to do it without asking or following a lead from the parents I think is rude so you have to be blunt back.

I think because I'm a coldsore sufferer and will have caught this vile virus as a child myself that's one of the reasons it's so important to me. I'm truly horrified that anyone with a coldsore would kiss a baby, it's so irresponsible! Plus when I have one I hate the thought of contact with anyone until it has 100% gone, you feel like shit so kissing is not top of my list anyway!

Anyway between that and it being too intimate I won't have it. Stick to your guns if you don't want it, it's your child.

My grandmother kissed me on the lips when I was a baby and she had a cold sore. I've suffered with them ever since.

I won't be kissing my baby on the lips for the same reason and if anyone else attempts it they will be told that it's not acceptable.

No I don't think it's overprotective to ask that someone doesn't kiss your child on the lips..

That being said, I agree with the whole bubble thing.. Our little one will be coming home to a dog, so he or she is going to be exposed to a lot of things haha.. And, studies show that children that grow up around dogs are actually healthier and less likely to have allergies/asthma... So, some germs are good.. Helps build up their immune system.

But, you have the right to put certain restrictions in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->