Am I doing it right?

Rach276

Reaction score
How do you know if your doing it right??
Is there any sure signs to look out for?

What makes you think you're not??

I suppose if I were to put it in really simple terms, the best signs are that your baby is weeing and pooing! At 3 days it's very early and your milk may not even be in. You might be feeding constantly while he's awake. That's definately normal!!

He looks beeeeeeeeeautiful BTW....:cloud9:

x

He will let you know he is hungry. If your latch is correct they say you shouldn't feel pain... although I did cause my boobs are really sensitive.

You will know ;)

I've just noticed that Grady seems to be quite content. Either sleeps, or just stares around after a feed. But isn't grumpy.

As well as Mervs Mum said - lots of full diapers is also a great sign!

With the latch thing and pain - I have "pain" for the first minute or so that Grady suckles. I don't know if it's because my nipple isn't totally soft yet or what. I'm not sure. I was told by my LC that there should be NO pain whatsoever, but i definitely have it for that first minute, once my nipples soften up, I'm fine! So keep that in mind if you have sensitive nipples too!

With the latch thing and pain - I have "pain" for the first minute or so that Grady suckles. I don't know if it's because my nipple isn't totally soft yet or what. I'm not sure. I was told by my LC that there should be NO pain whatsoever, but i definitely have it for that first minute, once my nipples soften up, I'm fine! So keep that in mind if you have sensitive nipples too!

I'm not sure that the whole 'no pain means it's right' it strictly true either - I think your nipples need to get used to it and I would have toe tapping pain for the first ten seconds or so till my nips toughened up a bit :D

I had lots of pain the first few days and she was "latching perfectly" according to the midwives.. :dohh: Everyone is different. Your baby will let you know hun x

I can only echo what the others have said :)

And he's GORGEOUS - congratulations!

xxx

Thanks girls. Thats really put my mind at rest. Hes having lots of dirty nappies and seems content after feeds. When hes awake he pretty much feeds the whole time and seems to be enjoying it.
What I was most worried about is the fact that everywhere says it should be pain free and its not. The pains getting better as we go on so I think like you said its just sensative nipples.
Its harder then I imagined but I actually love it!

Thanks girls. Thats really put my mind at rest. Hes having lots of dirty nappies and seems content after feeds. When hes awake he pretty much feeds the whole time and seems to be enjoying it.
What I was most worried about is the fact that everywhere says it should be pain free and its not. The pains getting better as we go on so I think like you said its just sensative nipples.
Its harder then I imagined but I actually love it!

Have you tried different feeding positions? :hugs:

I'm not sure that the whole 'no pain means it's right' it strictly true either - I think your nipples need to get used to it and I would have toe tapping pain for the first ten seconds or so till my nips toughened up a bit :D

i agree, for the first 6-8 weeks it did hurt, somedays not at all somedays it was awful.

I just check my babies bottom lip is out when on the breast and we get plenty of wet nappies.

Ye, hes quite small (5lb 9oz) so been having to play around with positions. I got a booklet from the hospital with some positions in. Is there one 'typical' position?

I actually found this the easiest when she was small..

https://www.milkmatters.org/images/breastfeed/pic4.jpg

Everyone is different, have a play around with them and see which is most comfortable for you both x

different people and babies prefer different ways. we go for the classic baby in arms but we played round with positionsin the beginning such as the rugby ball and lying down. just do whatever you're both comfy with.

have you got yourself a good cushion for feeding?

Thats the one iv been having the most luck with Toria, it said it my leaflet that its good for small babies.

I got given a V pillow in the labour ward after my section and the maternity unit let me take it home because they had no pillow cases for it lol. I find it really usefull.

My boobs are quite hard aswell is this normal?

yes, they will calm down in weeks to come (well i think it was about 5 months i really noticed mine had calmed down)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->