• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Am I eligible for a refund?

porkypig

Reaction score
I bought a dress from river island the other day, full price but it had a few make up stains on it. The cashier marked in the receipt that it had make up stains on it just in case I wanted a refund but explained that I wouldn't be able to get a refund if I washed it then brought it back. I washed it and although the Make up stains came off I noticed another stain that has not, it looks like a rust or cigarette coloured or marker pen stain. I've now washed it 4 times with vanish, bleach, washing up liquid etc but it hasn't come off and is noticeable as the dress is white- I don't want to wear it with the stain- am I eligible to get my money back even though the cashier said no? Xx

I think you'd struggle if they'd discounted it but as it was full price I'm not too sure. You could ask on the money supermarket website as they are great with consumer rights.

I would try. You payed full price and it hasn't washed out x

Hmmm. Im not so sure. I always find shops a bit arsey when it comes to refunds.
xx

I would try but not tell them you washed it. Just say you changed your mind, or it didn't look good once you tried it on again. Cashier might think the stain on it is the make up stain iykwim.

I would just take it back and not say you washed it, doubt the cashier is going to smell it in front of you!

I think you should be able to, because it isn't in the condition that it should be. But I just wouldn't mention the fact you washed it!

The thing is it smells really fresh you can tell its been washed! Maybe I should leave it in our dirty linen bin for a few days..... Lol

I was always told if you buy an item faulty with an agreed discount you can't refund if they're nice they may let you exchange.

Why did you pay full price lol?! In which case I'm not sure.

I was always told if you buy an item faulty with an agreed discount you can't refund if they're nice they may let you exchange.

There was no discount I paid full price but she marked on the receipt that there were a few make up stains should I want a refund and another cashier ask me about the stains. She said if I wash it then ask for a refund I would be declined. There's one stain that just won't budge so in my eyes it's damaged goods so I'm hoping I'm eligible? Oh and it's not where the make up stains were, it's at the back of the dress at the bottom xx

Why did you pay full price lol?! In which case I'm not sure.

Because if I'd paid a discounted price I would be saying bye bye to a refund for sure. I didn't notice this other stain as its at the back bottom of the dress xz

Are you eligible? No. She was clear on that and I think its pretty cut and dry. (No pun intended)

Could you return it and just never mention you washed it? Likely.

The path is yours too choose.

That only applies to the fault that has been highlighted and accepted by the customer - any faults not known about at purchase are still covered by your statutory rights. All regardless of whether discount was applied or not (the fact the op paid full price makes no difference to her legal position, op you might as well have asked for a discount tbh).

Don't lie about washing it, I have worked in retail and now work for a clothing brand. You can tell if something has been washed or not. If they think you're lying it won't help your case. You have a legal right to a refund here but the hard part will be proving the note on the receipt does not mean the stain you can't get out. Good luck.

That only applies to the fault that has been highlighted and accepted by the customer - any faults not known about at purchase are still covered by your statutory rights. All regardless of whether discount was applied or not (the fact the op paid full price makes no difference to her legal position, op you might as well have asked for a discount tbh).

Don't lie about washing it, I have worked in retail and now work for a clothing brand. You can tell if something has been washed or not. If they think you're lying it won't help your case. You have a legal right to a refund here but the hard part will be proving the note on the receipt does not mean the stain you can't get out. Good luck.

I'm lucky as she wrote 'make up stains on front' the stubborn other stain is at the back xx

You should be eligible because her condition was you couldn't get a refund on the basis that it had make up stains on the front if you washed it, this stain is not a make up stain on the front, therefore you are not breaking the 'rule'...definitely tell the truth about washing it, it is really not hard to tell if something has been washed or not and if they think you are lying they will not take you seriously and you will probably be worse off x

I'd at least try and take it back, no harm in that.
Also, don't lie about washing it, as others have said, it won't help, but just don't mention it unless they ask.

With regards to washing, I wouldn't be able to lie if I tried; you can smell the comfort from a mile off!!! Lol xx

Thing is though, hoe do they know that you've not made that stain on the back?
I know you didn't but, especially as it's been washed, they might think that you've worn it, stained it, and washed it.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->