• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

am i horrible?

I hate it too. I find pretend play deadly boring. But I've read in a number of places that if they're bored (ie. we aren't playing with them), it forces them to play on their own and further develop their imagination. So I now play for around 15 min. and then excuse myself. DS will then become engrossed in his Lego and talk to himself. Still makes me feel like a rotten mother, though.

Clio independent play is vital and a gift to your boy! I excuse myself for upwards of 15 minutes sometimes and my son is only 17 months. I know exactly what you mean about feeling guilty, but it's totally irrational. Even a bit of whinging or boredom won't kill them! Normally my son whines for a few minutes then gets on with moving his toys around, pulling Duplo apart, pushing his pram in and out of the back door etc

He's been sick just lately so I haven't had a moment to myself. This morning I just forced it because I needed that break and I felt he did too because he was seemingly unable to play without me. So I set up some nesting boxes and his instrument box and went upstairs to do my makeup for 10 minutes (we have a camera in the living room). He whined for longer than usual but when I came back he was happily emptying the instruments and chattering away. All for the greater good!

The way I look at it, if I'm gagging for some down time alone then surely he is too. He just doesn't quite know how to do that yet. So I provide safe opportunities to learn

I know your boy is much older but look at it this way, he won't have mummy playing with him at school! I've had to train myself not to see myself as my son's playmate. I mean I can be if I choose but it's not a constant obligation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->