• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Am I legally allowed to do this?

xprincessx

Mum to 5 beauties <3
Reaction score
Callum has a double barrelled surname (mine and his dad's) His dad's name is first and then followed by mine.

When we get married I am legally going to take my surname off (I really hate my surname and I never really wanted callum to have it at all)

I was wondering until I legally change it can I ask his pre-school (and future school) to call him just his dad's part of the surname and have just that on the register or does it HAVE to be his full surname?

I would check with the school but I believe you would have to use his official name for the school registration etc but once he's in the school, you can request he only uses the one name. So class registers, etc would all be the name you chose to have him known as but all official documents, like exams etc (too young I know) would be his full name until it changes legally.

Pretty sure you can use a "preferred name"

I didn't think you could but there was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago and a lady asked if her child could use her surname rather than the fathers as she didn't have much involvement with him but he wouldn't agree to change it.

A lot of people replied that they had used preferred surnames through school etc

Yes you can. When we got married I changed to wifey's name. Tegan had my name until them, and we planned to change her name by deed poll, so we asked the school to refer to her from that point on as Tegan wifey's name. They did it, and changed everything over officially once the paperwork came through :)

Yeah I was known as something different right through school xx

When me and Sean get married Im going to be dropping my surname from the girls surname so we are all an Ellis x

Yes you can Hun you only have to use his full name on official forms. The school will probably want to know his full name but you can choose a preferred name which they will use on register etc.

most schools will let you have a 'known as name' my sister used my Dads name instead her actual surname for everything but her passport and never had any trouble.

just write a letter to the lead explaining -

Don't forget you will have to re register the birth to show you as a married woman :)

Don't forget you will have to re register the birth to show you as a married woman :)

I haven't?? Help x

They told me this too when I was at the registry office. It's something you must do according to my local registry office.
Ask your local registry office on how to, as I can't remember what they said :dohh:
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"