Am I overreacting? Would you find this funny?

TwilightAgain

LTW for our LO <3
Reaction score
My OH posted a status on facebook saying something along the lines of "it's a sad world we live in when your local nursery has a tag line 'dedicated to safeguarding children' instead of something fun and exciting"

And one of this mates has commented saying "that's probably because it's local to you ;)"

I've commented saying I don't find this funny at all. I know it's 'just a laugh' but I find even joking about it completely distasteful. I'm probably going to look like the miserable girlfriend but would you find this funny or would you have an issue with it if someone said that about your OH even though it obviously is a 'joke'? I'm training to have a career in child protection so I don't know if i'm overreacting but that's really rubbed me the wrong way :growlmad:

Its a poor joke, obviously his mate couldn't think of a better one.

I'd let it go over your head as a stupid tasteless comment honey

And yeah...it's about as funny as a broken leg

All I see is two men having a bit of distasteful banter.

When I'm out with DH and friends I spend the majority of my time grimacing in embarrassment at some of the vileness they come out with. But, it's why they like sickapedia etc. It doesn't mean they actually find the subject funny IRL.

But I bet they would be the first 2 down there with pitchforks if anything ever had happened.

Just let it go. If you really dislike it then perhaps explain to your OH. Otherwise just do what we do best. Shake your head in disgust, roll your eyes and tut. Works every time for me! I'm sure they meant no harm.

My OH and his freinds and family have banter like that all the time.
I used to cringe and get really embarrassed, but now it just goes over my head.
Its just a distasteful joke.
Lots of people find these kinds of jokes funny these days...

I wouldn't find it funny personally, but it's the kind of jokes my OH and his mates find amusing, taking pot shots at each other. I just roll my eyes and leave them too it.

It's not hilarious like but it's just banter. The kind of horrific tasteless jokes my sister and I come up with could make your hair curl, I wouldn't even think about this one :lol:

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get it. So because I don't get it I wouldn't laugh. What's wrong with that tag line? I'm confused. Obviously my brain isn't working!

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get it. So because I don't get it I wouldn't laugh. What's wrong with that tag line? I'm confused. Obviously my brain isn't working!

I think they're joking that all the nursery has to boast about is that they try to keep kids safe.

My OH was just saying that it's a shame we live in a world whereby everyone has to be paranoid about child abuse. So he thinks the tag line for nursery should have been something fun and exciting about learning, rather than having to reassure parents that their kids will be safe if you know what I mean?

I don't think he'll be too amused by his mates joke either. I'm not going to make a big deal about it by saying anymore more about it, it just annoyed me a bit.

I think they're joking that all the nursery has to boast about is that they try to keep kids safe.

I'd read it that the "joke" was the nursery had to be dedicated to safeguarding as the nursery is local to op's OH.

Not funny and the sort of dumb comments some of my DH's friends would think is "banter". I probably would ignore it as reactions are what idiots want on Facebook but let DH know what a dumbass I think his friend is privately.

I think you are over reacting to be honest..

I think his mate meant it in an innocent way. His joke about children not being safe around your dh doesn't need to be taken in a malicious way as in he is calling him a pedo or anything. I guess he could mean something like he wouldn't be able to look after 20 children and keep them safe all at once. He is only kidding.

X

I honestly don't think anything was intended, or even thought of when making that comment ... it's just one of those things you say in banter. The whole sentence of 'you're a pedo' probably didn't even cross their mind.

It wouldn't bother me, not even slightly. In fact, it's the exact type of banter that you would find among me, my DH and our friends. I did laugh a little when I read it, sorry.

I don't find it particularly inventive or funny, but neither would it annoy me, I certainly wouldn't feel the need to respond, as someone else put it "distasteful banter".

Pretty standard banter, probably seen as harmless fun.
I see much much worse on my brothers and colleagues Facebook.
Xx

It would be different of the joke was at the expense of a child or abuse victim, but I also agree its the same sort of teasy banter many, many men have.

It was a bit tasteless really. I wouldn't find it funny, but a lot of men have this type of banter.

I'd read it that the "joke" was the nursery had to be dedicated to safeguarding as the nursery is local to op's OH.

Not funny and the sort of dumb comments some of my DH's friends would think is "banter". I probably would ignore it as reactions are what idiots want on Facebook but let DH know what a dumbass I think his friend is privately.

That makes a lot more sense :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"