am i spending to much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mum140381

500 each on 4 children and 300 on the 2 youngest so 2600 in total am i spoiling them.

they are getting things like ps4 , gaming pc , xbox , ds3d ect ect and other bits.

my daughters friend is only getting 100.
Am i going over the top i always spend around this amount and about 200 on myself and 200 on husband and family get about 50 each

how much is everyone else spending :thumbup:

If you're happy and your finances allow then you are not going over the top.

As long as your children appreciate what you've bought and don't just want want want then even of you're spoiling them there not spoilt. There is no harm in spoiling your children. 😊

The only way I'd change is if you was buying for the sake of bulking out piles and reaching there budget amount or if you has to use credit to buy. Xx

if you can afford it and your happy with what you spend then no.

i aimed to spend 200 each (2 kids) plus 100 for a a joint gift, i scrapped the joint gift and have spent rougly 260 each
(not including stockings or xmas eve bag)

I think you are spending a great amount. I spend more than that on my LO but i only have one child. To be honest the amounts you said are the norm in my circle of friends . Some will spend more and some less as long as you can afford it.

If you are happy with that amount then I don't think it matters what you've spent. In total when the day come I'll probably have spent £1000 on the girls combined. But I can honestly say that everything they've got they will love.

As long as you can afford it and your not buying for sake of it then no its not spoiling. If I spent £500 each on my 2 then yes I'd be spoiling them, i couldnt think of £500 of presents but presents for older children tend to cost more anyway so you don't get as much in terms of amount of presents for your money.

First of all do they seem spoilt to you? Are they asking for that amount of stuff? Do they seem grateful for it? Are they aware that most children are a lot less fortunate them them? That's the main thing I suppose
How to you find stuff for that much every year? I know the things you listed are expensive but for example with a games console surely that's something you wouldn't need to replace very often.
Depends how much money you have for other things as well. For example I would never take out a loan or spend that much if I didn't have saving for their college etc.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you can't afford it or that your children are spoiled. Just that those are really the only two reasons I can think of to be worried about spending a lot.

I couldn't find stuff for that amount even if I tried. I have spent about £350 combined for my two and that includes clothes and I honestly think I have got everything they could want. I am a good bargain hunter though.
However, if I want to add to it, I would put money in their bank accounts. I hate spending for the sake of it.

I have no idea what your finances are (and I am not asking), but I would never be paying for christmas throughout the year and I would not use our savings for it either.

As for being spoilt, that has very little to do with the cost. A child with £20 worth of presents can still be spoilt. It all depends on their attitude towards it.

Edit: £200 on yourself? You buy yourself a christmas present?

We don't look at how much we're spending (obviously to a certain extent, we're not loaded!) but how much we're buying.

My 5yr old doesn't grasp the full concept of how much things cost, so we find that by helping him appreciate what he's got we only buying him 3 gifts, plus a small stocking.
If you know you're not turning your children in to spoilt brats then okay.

But it is a lot of money for one day! If you do it every year as they get older they'll start to know how much thigs cost, and may expect it every year. Can you sustain i for the next 18yrs or so?

I try to budget but it doesn't work lol, if you can afford it then it's your choice.

Nope I think that's fine! As long as you can afford it it's totally your choice!
X

Wow! I think that is A LOT of money... My first reaction I'll admit is that yes that is too much. What if you can't afford it one year? Will your kids expect that amount every year?! What happens when they go out into the 'real world' and can't afford all the latest games consoles etc, will that be a difficult transition for them?

Saying that, if you are confident that it works for your family and you work on teaching them the value of money etc the rest of the year, then I guess it's whatever works for your family! (I'm assuming you can afford this without putting yourself in financial difficulties.. If you are struggling at all then I'd certainly rethink your budget!)

thank you everyone i don't have any credit on anything loans catalog ect i just spend what we earn i think they are aware that they have to work hard if they want nice things and not everyone is so fortunate all the children see how hard me and my husband work so i dont think they are 2 spoilt but saying that if they do ask for something they usually get it :blush:

oh and yes i do buy myself a Christmas present lol i deserve a treat :thumbup: :blush:

Initially I thought it was a lot but then I worked out we have almost £500 worth of gifts for DS so I guess £2600 seems a lot but you do have 6 children! As long as you can afford it and the children appreciate it then I don't see any harm in it at all. We each live in different circumstances so what may be a lot to one family may be a drop in the ocean to others.

However, I would agree with a PP who mentioned having savings in place for when your children are older too. We have paid into a savings account for DS since he was 9 months old and will do the same for DD too. This will be for university/car/house or whatever they wish to use it on.

X

Not at all, if you can afford it and they will use the things then why not. We don't have a limit, I don't tend to keep track of what I spend and I started around September time. I don't buy them things for the sake of it I get them things they will use and play with.

I topped £1500 on 1 child one year so I can hardly say it's too much but to be honest most of it ended up broken and didn't last and I have more children now so won't be doing that ever again! I'm sure your children will have an amazing Xmas no matter what you spend x

Its never too much as long as you arent going in debt or its being detrimental to your finances. And too right you can spoil yourself :) Its no-ones business but yours :)

As you say you work hard for your money and your dc see this, they are growing up with a good work ethic around them, knowing that things don't come easy. Its not like sitting on your arse all day sponging off the system, then magically appearing with lots of expensive gifts.

My first thought was yes... But then I realised you have six kids. We've spent more than £500 on each child but only have two to buy for (and £200 on my sister) x

I can't get over how much people spend. I don't spend anything like that, but not because I can't afford to, I just think there are such better things that money could be spent on. However, saying that, we have had 5 holidays this year, so maybe some people would think that is over the top. I guess we all spend our money on different things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself, I guess, I just find it funny you refer to it a christmas present. I mean, do you wrap it and put it under the tree?
Surely you do get presents at christmas too though? Your OH and older kids get you something right? You obviously put alot of work into their christmas, I hope they treat you too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"