Am I wrong to find really quite insulting?

haze

Mum + Pink Bump
Reaction score
I got a leaflet for The Alpha Course this morning about changing your life ect... and I noticed this picture on the front.
In case it's hard to see it's a photo of a tattooed person with handcuffs on. As a heavily tattooed person I am really insulted by this. This is a stereotype that the tattooed community could be doing without to be honest. Why not just use a normal person without tattoos for the picture?
I am heavily tattooed and have never been in trouble with the police, ever and neither have most of my tattooed friends.
So am I wrong to find this really insulting?

Attachments

• 382182_10150972500640005_612715004_21605530_2112394095_n.jpg
    382182_10150972500640005_612715004_21605530_2112394095_n.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 65
there is also a woman in a wedding dress and a crying baby ? .... so i'm confused lol, but i would say no.

EDIT: oh i see, "change your life" that explains the other pictures lol i was thinking, there are more people then just the guy with tats, but i would still say no... surely who ever they use for the picture, could find it offensive ? if you follow my meaning :S

I think you're being a bit over sensitive really.

I think its just a general picture. I personally wouldnt read into it x

Yeah I guess but to be honest I do get a bit sick of people making assumptions about me because I have tattoos. I don't see why they had to use a guy with tattoos as their 'criminal' picture.
I had an old lady tell me my children would be ashamed of me when they grew up because of the state of me with all my piercings and tattoos :( It's just an other stereotype tattooed people could do with out.
Yeah I guess Im being a bit sensitive about it.

I partly understand where your coming from, as a tattoo'd person myself I do think there is some sort of stereotype out there, for example prison films - most of the inmates always have some sort of tattoo work etc. I don't find the photo offensive though, I think it would be different if there was a group of heavily tattoo'd people, then I would probably think they were stereotyping etc xx

TBH I agree with the others, I think its just a picture and personally I wouldn't take offence to it. :flower:

I partly understand where your coming from, as a tattoo'd person myself I do think there is some sort of stereotype out there, for example prison films - most of the inmates always have some sort of tattoo work etc. I don't find the photo offensive though, I think it would be different if there was a group of heavily tattoo'd people, then I would probably think they were stereotyping etc xx

thats likely that way because tattoos are part of "prison culture" .. and it makes sense, tbh

thats likely that way because tattoos are part of "prison culture" .. and it makes sense, tbh

I know but it is kind of a stereotype as well, its what tattoo's were first associated with x

The reason the world has gone OTT and everything has to be Politically correct is because people are over sensitive, if it was a male, they could find it offensive, or a youth, saying all youths commit crime? I think the fact they are tattooed is neither here nore there, if it was the arms of a person from a minority ethnical background, people would be offended by this - don't look Into things so deeply, the world is so PC mad - drives me crazy

I personally dont find the picture offensive,
I also wouldnt be offended if it was the arms of a person from a ethinical background
but I can understand why people may find things like that offensive though.

I think you are being over sensitive tbh. Tattoos are associated with criminals that is a fact, there are certain tattoos that relate to certain prisons, gang culture and groups (Russian criminals come to mind here). Tattoos and stereotypes have always been around but I do believe that this is changing a lot due to many celebrities having tattos and changing the stereotype somewhat.

i think with the younger generation tattoos are a lot more accepted as so many of us have them. there's no taboo with them anymore.

i had two swallow tattoos and my dad asked me why i wanted them as they were associated with prison. which is something i hadn't heard before he told me. (call me naive if you like :haha:)

it is silly how people frown upon people with tattoos. I personally think they're an individuals way of expressing themselves.

I hate the way people automatically think my OH is bad news just because he is tattoed and has a shaved head - he is the nicest person ever and people are often shocked when they speak to him!

Stupid judgemental people!! each to their own tho!

The reason the world has gone OTT and everything has to be Politically correct is because people are over sensitive, if it was a male, they could find it offensive, or a youth, saying all youths commit crime? I think the fact they are tattooed is neither here nore there, if it was the arms of a person from a minority ethnical background, people would be offended by this - don't look Into things so deeply, the world is so PC mad - drives me crazy

^^^WSS

I can understand why you are offended but I also think you are being too sensitive :hugs:

this

I personally wouldnt be too bothered what other people thought of me and my tattoos. If someone wants to pass judgement on me due to that sole fact, they arent worth knowing

I actually completely agree with you. If they used a black person in it with handcuffs there would be a massive uproar here. It is no different. It's stereotyping definitely. I would be offended if I was tattood (I actually have none and still think it's inappropriate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->