Amazing Authentic Butter Chicken Recipe!

rwhite

Mum to Lachie and Clem
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this with all of you lovely ladies, and hopefully the measurements don't throw you off too much if they're not the same ones you use - depends where you live I suppose! :haha: I learnt how to make this at an Indian Cooking nightclass I went to a couple of years ago, and this Butter Chicken is just delicious. Really yummy every time :)

First, you will want to make a Tandoori Chicken. You need to prepare the chicken and marinate it with the tandoori marinade for AT LEAST 5 hours, but I think overnight is best to get the nicest flavour.

Ingredients to marinade chicken:

First you will need 500g - 1kg chicken breasts/legs (though I think chicken breasts are nicest, and amount depends on how many people you will be serving)

2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 Cup plain/natural yoghurt - normally just a normal 'snack-size' carton of yoghurt will equal this
4-6 Tbsp cream
OR
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp coriander (cilantro for Americans ;)) powder
1 tsp cumin powder
A pinch of Tandoori food colour, if you have it handy. Just makes the chicken a red colour, does not impair flavour
2 Tbsp Tandoori curry paste
3 Tbsp melted butter

Method to prepare/marinate chicken:

1. Remove any remaining skin from chicken, wash, and make cuts over the pieces. Pat chicken dry with paper towel so that water is drained off

2. Make mixture of lemon juice and salt (1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp salt), rub on to chicken and into the cuts made, and leave for 15 minutes

3. Mix yoghurt, fresh cream or oil, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, colour and all dry ingredients in a big bowl to make paste. Rub all over pieces thoroughly (or you could do as I do, and put the chicken in the marinade so it is covered completely, cover with plastic wrap/cling film and put in fridge

4. Leave chicken in marinade overnight, or for at least 5 hours

....When chicken is marinated!!....

1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius (that's 425 Fahrenheit)

2. Brush chicken with melted butter or oil

3. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, turning half way. When cooked the water in the chicken should be completely dry

4. Cut the roasted chicken in to cubes (if using breasts)

Ingredients for Gravy/Sauce to make it 'Butter Chicken':

30g butter
250-300g tomato puree
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp red chili powder (optional, or to taste)
3-4 tsp honey
200ml fresh cream
1 tsp ginger paste
1 Tbsp cashew powder (can be hard to get a hold of, so consider it optional :thumbup:)
3 Tbsp roasted cashew pieces (optional)

Method to make Sauce:

1. On a medium heat, in a deep pan (like this one https://www.papyruscookshop.co.uk/pics/12145619394046deep frying pan.jpg) heat the butter until just melted - do not burn!

2. Remove from heat and add ginger, chili powder, salt and honey and stir

3. Add tomato puree and lemon juice, and cook for 3-4 minutes

4. Add cream and cook for another 2 minutes

5. Add roasted chicken pieces and cashew powder to sauce

6. Simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring every 4-5 minutes

7. Add cashew nut pieces, and feel free to garnish with chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves

Serve hot with Naan bread/Roti or with plain rice!

This meal could probably serve 4 people, though I'll admit we often just have it for the two of us - makes for a very very filling dinner! If serving 4, you will want plenty of rice and some bread :flower:

Hope you enjoy making this dish as much as I do!...OH LOVES it when he knows this is on the dinner menu :haha:

Post and let me know how you get on if you do try it, and feel free to add pics of your creations :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->