American Academy of Peds New Circ Recommendation!

Breezy

Mommy to one gorgeous boy
Reaction score
"The beneifts outweigh the risks." In regards to circumsion.

https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018999872_circumcision27.html

I understand its a controversial topic on this forum especially but had to post the new recommendation.

My DS is circed and it was never even a question as to whether or not we were going to do it but this new recommendation makes me feel even better about my decision :)

or.. teach your sons to wear a condom then you'll cover atleast half of the 'benefits' that circumcision has without lobbing off his foreskin ;)

Im glad you found something to try and justify pointlessly putting your LO through pain :)

omg this thread is already POINTLESSLY rude!!! WTH people?! THANK YOU for sharing this information OP. :flower:

its not really new information if you read the artical. The majority of the artical is about the ethical issues & has quite a negative feel about circumcision on the whole.

Im glad you found something to try and justify pointlessly putting your LO through pain :)

Well, of course. The OP isn't doing what's best for her child based on scientific research and the opinions of one of the most respected pediatric medical bodies in the world. She circumcised him because she likes seeing her child in pain! :dohh:

I swear, common sense is a super power these days.

Thanks for posting this OP. Information is a powerful thing.

Well, of course. The OP isn't doing what's best for her child based on scientific research and the opinions of one of the most respected pediatric medical bodies in the world. She circumcised him because she likes seeing her child in pain! :dohh:

Sexually mutilating a child is not 'best' for him. If males were meant to be like that then they wouldn't be born with foreskins. Im fed up of people dredging up research to try and feel ok about what they are doing when its pointless anyway :shrug:

Just when I was hoping this cruel, largely unneccessary practice would die out, seems some morally bankrupt professionals just gave people the excuse to carry on, blind it seems to the pain inflicted on their children and the real reasons behind it. So it goes.

I'm sorry but there is nothing about circumsion that is mutilation. My DS didn't even cry ONCE. It was through the plastibel method and it was healed quickly. Like I said there was no question in our minds in the first place but just happy we have the recommendation behind us now.

Sexually mutilating a child is not 'best' for him. If males were meant to be like that then they wouldn't be born with foreskins. Im fed up of people dredging up research to try and feel ok about what they are doing when its pointless anyway :shrug:

It's very impressive that you know what's best for her child just by reading a forum post.

And if you bothered to research this instead of just going off, you would know that this isn't 'drudging up research'. This is a huge change in policy from a major medical body. It's based on decades of research and multiple studies including one by Johns Hopkins University. This will directly affect how American doctors approach infant circumcision with their patients.

Even if you are anti-circumcision, why are you threatened by this? Are you angry that women are being given information that conflicts with your personal worldview? Parents should consider ALL sides of the circ argument before making their choices. And it is their choice to make. You can throw around scary words like 'multilation' and call it 'pointless', but there are pros to it just like there are cons. If you don't see that it's because you haven't looked at this with an open mind.

But many of those dangers are relatively rare, he conceded, and circumcision is hardly a magic shield, in any case.
That sums it up for me.

Circumcision is banned here, hospitals will not perform the procedure and it's not covered by insurance unless medically necessary. If the benefits of having all newborn males circumcised were so great then it most likely would be covered but the benefits are minuscule and it could also be argued that there are benefits to staying "natural", so to say.

If you're confident in your decision there's no need to try to justify it as when it comes to such topics you're not going to change anyone's mind. I find people are either very for or against, very little in between.

Whoever would have thought a little piece of skin on a penis would get people so riled up! :haha:

Granted, as a female I don't have a penis and can't tell how awful it must be to not have the extra wrinkly skin down there, but as far as the "cruel torture" comments, I can tell you as a nurse who has seen circs over and over in rotations most babies don't even make a peep, and I've never met an adult male who regrets his circumcision or remembers the event that happened when they were a few days old (although it's not really dinner conversation lol)

And to be truthful, now that I am back working in the ER and on a daily basis putting several catheters in men, it is disgusting the amount of grime and discharge that gets caught under the foreskin, and if you look at literature (I think the one I remember last reading was from a John Hopkins study) those who are uncirc have a higher rate of urinary tract infections than those who are.

Either way, it's Mom and Dad's right to make the call. They can only go off their best judgement. This goes not only for circumcision, but decision to breastfeed vs formula, co-sleep vs own room etc.

I did not mutilate my boys and I don't appreciate your rudeness. I have been a member here for a long time and I HAVE COME ACROSS SO many posts that I don't agree with but I would never insult another women with that kind of talk. How dare you say that , how dare you. I love my boys and just cause your norm is not our norm does not give you the right to say a disgusting thing like this. Why can't people just say they don't agree without saying such horrible hurtful things. You should be ashamed of yourself..

Why the hell does it matter to YOU? If someone decides to circumcise THEIR child, how does that affect YOU and YOUR life??? If you're so "fed up" then there's an easy solution-DON'T READ IT and stay out of OTHER people's business. She didn't post this to be bullied by you so maybe you should stay out of it. I cannot even believe how rude you are, pathetic.

Whoever would have thought a little piece of skin on a penis would get people so riled up! :haha:

Granted, as a female I don't have a penis and can't tell how awful it must be to not have the extra wrinkly skin down there, but as far as the "cruel torture" comments, I can tell you as a nurse who has seen circs over and over in rotations most babies don't even make a peep, and I've never met an adult male who regrets his circumcision or remembers the event that happened when they were a few days old (although it's not really dinner conversation lol)

And to be truthful, now that I am back working in the ER and on a daily basis putting several catheters in men, it is disgusting the amount of grime and discharge that gets caught under the foreskin, and if you look at literature (I think the one I remember last reading was from a John Hopkins study) those who are uncirc have a higher rate of urinary tract infections than those who are.

Either way, it's Mom and Dad's right to make the call. They can only go off their best judgement. This goes not only for circumcision, but decision to breastfeed vs formula, co-sleep vs own room etc.

According to the Dr on the Today Show this morning talking about this topic uncirced males are 211% more likely to suffer from chronic UTIs than circed males

very well said! im not quite so elequent with my words! ive not come across so good in the other thread on circumcision:) (though i have girls, if i had a boy you bet he woyld be getting done!)

"sexual mutilation"? im speechless!

I second this and will add that I have met multiple people who HAVE regretted not being circumcised when a baby, including my poor father who had to get it done later in life when it is much more painful.

And as for males having 211% more chance of having chronic UTI's....so that jumps from like no chance to a little more than no chance?? I live in the US where most are circumcised in my age group-never EVER met a guy who had even one UTI. It's a personal choice and everyone can make it for their own child. If your worried about UTI's then don't get them circumsized- I'd be more worried about other things that could be helped with circumcision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->