American Academy of Peds New Circ Recommendation!

I'm never sure why people get so offended by the opinions of others if they are so certain what they are doing is right for their child.

As an example, 'extended' or natural term breastfeeding (something I an doing) is called abuse by some. They clearly feel that it is, otherwise they wouldn't say it. However, I'm comfortable in my decision, completely and know that it is best fro my child, so it doesn't matter to me what these people think. So, if people are happy to circ, what does it matter what other people think and why be so offended about it? :wacko:

It is actually very unfortunate that extended BFers and 'natural' parenting types; those who themselves are often falsely accused of abusing or disadvantaging their children by their parenting style, are the very same ones who are the first to jump on parents who circumcise or believe circumcision to have benefits, and tbh these are the two groups whom I have seen the most nastiness from. It is the extended BFers and natural parents who are most vocal about how parents who circumcise are mutilating their boys; should have their children taken off them and how it should be made completely illegal. You would think such parents would exhibit a little more understanding towards those who have different parenting styles to their own, as they themselves have been unfairly judged on their own parenting? xx

I think it's reasonably expected that the more AP parents will be the most vocal against circumcision tbh. If you believe that natural is best, then why would you decide to cut off any part of your baby?

I think the AAP's decision here is ropey - they've looked at evidence very selectively, mainly focusing on African men. They've ignored the fact that circ'd men are less likely to contract HIV but more likely to transmit it. They've ignored the fact that the diseases protected against are rarer than complications stemming from circ'ing itself. They've ignored the fact that it's an operation with risks of blood loss, infection and death.

If there were clear cut (pardon the pun) benefits, then I really believe it would be more widespread. As it is, the evidence is based on a very different society and lifestyle, and it is often misinterpreted by those who wish to support circ'ing.

Maybe its reasonably expected but it isn't right that some AP/natural parenting types address parents who are pro-circ in the way they do. Even if you disagree with something there are ways of putting it across without making wild and hurtful accusations and with all the negative spotlight on AP parents they should at least have some empathy even if they don't agree with circumcision on the whole xx

It is not even worth my time or typing to be on these kinds of threads, once someone attacks you as a mother with demeaning words like Mutilated and so on , it is time to back off and realize not to waste your time. I would never say circumcision is right or i am right or this or that, but when you attack me as a mother for doing something at the time when we feel it was best and our doctors are telling us it's best and when it is our norm that goes way over the line. If anyone ever said that to my face they would have a problem. So I wish you all the best and I hope nobody in life makes you feel like some of you have made me feel like shit when I couldn't love my sons more, I really hope that never happens. :flower::flower:

I think this is great discussion for mature adults, but we all know that maturity does not always come with adulthood! Posting this information was not done to attack anyone else and therefore no one has the right to attack you. Everyone has the right to their own opinions but some of the comments here are just absolutely disgusting! Just be thankful that you don't know or have to deal with these people in real life! You stay confident in the decisions you make for YOUR children and don't let anyone else make you feel like some of these people did! Just laugh, because ignorance is bliss you know! :winkwink:

Is it just me that really doesn't care?! As long as babies are not being abused (by police and social services standards), then what does it have to do with me?

So what if people get picked on for extended breast feeding? Someone else will get picked on for bottle feeding. Nobody is going to win the other group around so there is no point wasting time and energy on it. Its the same for circumcision and ear piercing and many other topics.

Anyway, OP thanks for posting this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"