American words VS UK words (Just for fun)

H

heyyady

I'll start

In America...

This is a vest
lowepro-sampf-vest-harness.jpg

This is a jumper
img.php.jpg

and these are pants
burton-heated-pants.jpg

I noticed the other day whilst watching the film despicable me that US people say juice box while the UK people say carton of juice :)

Soccer & football is another..

Cx

Americans say chips in the UK I've heard they call them crisps

This is what we would call a carton of juice (or milk, what have you)
floridas_natural_juice_carton_Examiner.jpg

This is what we would call a carton of juice (or milk, what have you)
View attachment 418563

We would call that a carton of juice too, but a smaller version that's meant as a single drink we'd just call a small carton of juice whereas I think some areas in US would say juice box for the small version? I've heard it on tv but don't know if its common in all states etc.

Chips in UK are what is called fries in the US. We do use "fries" here too but only for the thin cut ones like in McDonalds. The chunkier ones are chips. We say crisps for what Americans call chips - they're crispy after all hahaha!

My stepmother is American but lives over here, there are loads of differences that pop up but by far the worst is "fanny".... I know it means your backside/bottom etc in US but do all you American ladies know what it means over here in Britain?!

I have a sister living in America at the moment... I always get on the phone 'I was on my cell'... Cell?!?. x

I was in a pub garden a few years ago and I heard an American lady say she was going to complain to the bar staff as they got her order wrong.
I had to explain to her that here in the UK, lemonade is a carbonated soft drink, and by asking for chips with her sandwich, she would indeed get 'fries'!!

:shrug: what's a fanny over there?

A fag is a gay man (Not a nice word though)
A lift is someone giving you a ride in a car
and biscuits are something you put gravy on!
Fixed-Biscuits-gravy-7619.jpg

:rofl:

Friends of mine on here kept referring to their computer as a pooter until I told them that's slang for vagina :blush:

In Germany Fanny is actually also a girl's name :haha: surely won't name my kid that.
and biscuit is a soft spongy type of cake dough here. (often filled with jam or similar)
Biscuits in Germany are Keks(e)- which itself is a Germanised spelling of Cakes- (from the early 20th century when English words were still adjusted into German spelling)but the Kekse are definitely Biscuits or cookies- rather than actualy cakes. :haha:

In some films US people order chicken & waffles? Waffles in the UK are more like a pudding or a breakfast (depending on what you have with them).. so is the US waffle different? More savoury?

Cx

In some films US people order chicken & waffles? Waffles in the UK are more like a pudding or a breakfast (depending on what you have with them).. so is the US waffle different? More savoury?

Cx

I'm in the UK too, but when I think of waffles I think of yummy potato waffles

images

Just found this on the internet, made me lol.

English Swear Words. Our chums across the Atlantic should be warned about the following. If some English bloke comes up to you and uses one or more of them when addressing you, please be careful. He may not be friendly...

i) Wanker. A charming little word that implies that the addresser is accusing the addressee of onanism. Usually accompanied by the coital f-word and the oedipal compound-noun. The addresser may also raise his right hand and portray a chillingly accurate portrayal of the act in question...

ii) Bollocks. The round male dangly bits. Also, saying 'the dog's bollocks' is akin to stating 'this is the shit' in the US. Not to be confused in agricultural circles with 'bullocks' which are bull shaped and go 'moo!'.

iii) Nancy boy. A male who may express either a sexual preference for his own gender or acts in a less than masculine way.

iv) Spanner. Not only a component of every good mechanic's toolbox (see below) but also someone not overly blessed with intelligence or savoir faire. A geek, nerd, dork or a dweeb in other words.

v) Tosser. See 'wanker' and then use your imagination... Also tosspot.

vi) Slag. A woman of uncertain worth and reliability. Also used in English 1970s police shows (e.g. The Sweeney) when describing a notorious criminal. (e.g. Dosser Jenkins? That slaaaaag!). Originally used to describe a by-product of the (now sadly nearly defunct) coal mining industry.

vii) Wanger. Many a Saturday night I have heard this word being shouted by rival groups of young men at each other. The dulcit cries of 'Oi Wanger!!' have disturbed the peace of many a town centre. It is a word used to either describe a penis or an attempt by the alcoholically challenged to say 'wanker'.

viii) Plonker. Another willy euphenism. Immortalised in the TV program 'Only Fools and Horses', starring David Jason & Nicholas Lyndhurst - 'You plonker Rodney!'.

ix) Naff off. Go away. As used by the Princess Royal, Princess Anne. For a while she was known as the 'Naff Off Princess' in the tabloid press.

x) Wazzock - a fool or idiot.

Strange fact: British males often use wanker, bas.tard, tosser, plonker etc as terms of endearment.

Unfortunately no- waffles are a sweet dish :/
Chicken and Waffles is "soul food" (Soul food cuisine consists of a selection of foods traditional in the cuisine of African Americans. It is closely related to the cuisine of the Southern United States) and is traditionally served with white sausage gravy on the fried chickem, syrup on the waffles, and hot sauce over the whole mess :sick: Sounds horrifying to me so I have never ordered it :sick:
Droolius_Bananas_chicken_waffles_1.jpg

In the US fanny is a fooo fooo word for butt, you would only really hear elderly ladies say it

Chicken and Waffles is "soul food" (Soul food cuisine consists of a selection of foods traditional in the cuisine of African Americans. It is closely related to the cuisine of the Southern United States) and is traditionally served with white sausage gravy on the fried chickem, syrup on the waffles, and hot sauce over the whole mess :sick: Sounds horrifying to me so I have never ordered it :sick:
View attachment 419883

:sick: I like my waffles with syrup and whipped cream LOL yummy!!!1

View attachment 419883

I have also always thought this was disgusting :sick: The closest thing to having chicken with my waffles I will ever want are eggs! And it better be separate and and those waffles better be slathered in butter and syrup! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->