American words VS UK words (Just for fun)

This has reminded me of one of my friends, she got annoyed with some rowdy American students once in a Oxford bar, and went over to them and said, in her perfect cut-glass English, "we gave you a language, now kindly use it"

Best put down I've ever heard... I was crying with laughter!

I have however noticed the increasing Americanisation of some things in the UK - one recent example I can think of is the boot on a Ford C-Max being called a tailgate.

Bonnet and Hood similarly at the front of a car.

This has reminded me of one of my friends, she got annoyed with some rowdy American students once in a Oxford bar, and went over to them and said, in her perfect cut-glass English, "we gave you a language, now kindly use it"

Best put down I've ever heard... I was crying with laughter!

I have however noticed the increasing Americanisation of some things in the UK - one recent example I can think of is the boot on a Ford C-Max being called a tailgate.

Bonnet and Hood similarly at the front of a car.

:haha: bloody brilliant!

Hmmm...

Okay the pictures on the first post, first I'd call a waist coat probably, though I'm crap with fashion so don't assume I'm speaking for the UK here xD second is a playsuit thing, our jumpers are like... your sweaters? I'd call the third pants too :p

The only time tailgate is used is on a truck bed- and generally only referred to as a "tailgate party" meaning BBQ and beer in a parkinglot of a sports game or concert or other event

Some baby related terms,pram is stroller, nappy is diaper, baby grow is a onesie

I love potato waffles :D they are amazing with baked beans and eggs :D sweet waffles and fried chicken tho... thats a bit of a crazy one!

there are a lot of things though in the UK that are becoming more and more americanised, like a lot of schools are now called High schools rather than secondary schools and slang words are becoming similar. I grew up near a HUGe american army base so we are quite used to the differences, always made me laugh how the americans used to call the county Glo-cester-shire :D

In some films US people order chicken & waffles? Waffles in the UK are more like a pudding or a breakfast (depending on what you have with them).. so is the US waffle different? More savoury?

Cx

That's funny as I'd have said the opposite.

I think of waffles as potato waffles which are obviously savoury and while sweet waffles are available in the UK I think of them as an American thing, US tv shows often have waffles for breakfast with maple syrup or as a treat with whipped cream or ice cream. I don't remember sweet waffle even being sold over here a few years ago but now they're in all the supermarkets.

In some films US people order chicken & waffles? Waffles in the UK are more like a pudding or a breakfast (depending on what you have with them).. so is the US waffle different? More savoury?

Cx

That's funny as I'd have said the opposite.

I think of waffles as potato waffles which are obviously savoury and while sweet waffles are available in the UK I think of them as an American thing, US tv shows often have waffles for breakfast with maple syrup or as a treat with whipped cream or ice cream. I don't remember sweet waffle even being sold over here a few years ago but now they're in all the supermarkets.

Yep me too!

In Germany Fanny is actually also a girl's name :haha: surely won't name my kid that.
and biscuit is a soft spongy type of cake dough here. (often filled with jam or similar)
Biscuits in Germany are Keks(e)- which itself is a Germanised spelling of Cakes- (from the early 20th century when English words were still adjusted into German spelling)but the Kekse are definitely Biscuits or cookies- rather than actualy cakes. :haha:

Its a girls name here too but isn't very popular nowadays, it probably was very popular 100 or so years ago. I used to work with a French woman called Fanny and I always felt awkward saying her name! I did used to wonder if she knew what it meant lol

Is anyone singing 'Birds eye potato waffles... A Waffly versatile...grill 'em ,bake 'em, fry 'em , eat 'em....'?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->