Americans - FDA approves melamine in formula

Shri

Reaction score
I can't really believe this is happening, but it seems it is.
:hissy: Makes me really really cross.

I don't want to upset anyone, but I feel people should know.
The organic brands have been found to be safe and free from melamine, but what about those people who can't afford organic?
:cry:

You can read about it here
https://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j7SAbhJj3By_isZUoRAgTOPHzwkQD94OM2CG0

wasn't it melamine which caused the problems with the infant formula in china?

yes exactly - horrific.

It's a construction material NOT a food substance!

I'm not shocked, Shri.
There are lists of known carcinogens and toxins a mile long that the FDA allows into all sorts of products. And we consume, wear, breathe, and absorb them everyday.
This particular one is a little more blatant than most, but it shows you that when the plastics and chemicals get their lobby machines turned on, there is no real safe standard set for any of this stuff. Safety standards are totally political.
It's horrifying and depressing, but it's true.
All you can do is try to vote with your dollar (I agree this is a privilege and not everyone can afford to do so), and keep writing and speaking out against most of the crap put in our food, spewed into our air, sprayed into our fabrics, etc.

There were huge amounts of it in the formula in china way more than in the formulas there.

Its one of those things, a very small amount has not proven to be harmful. As Sarahkka says there are all sorts of similar substances in every day foods we eat or things use.

I hope its not something that will get blown way out of proportion.

Sarahkka - you are totally right - there is no need for so many of the things that they put into our foods - and its purely down to cash. Its the same in the UK - got the £? You can do whatever you want.

That being said, Nutmeg is right also, I doubt there is any reason to get worked up about it being 'harmful' but I still don't think that it's right!

Plus - its only being added to apparently increase the protein level instead of ACTUALLY using a natural protein to do so. I just dont see the point, to be honest. I'm sure there are other things that I just dont know about that are used to do this, so i'd be greatful if someone could enlighten me!

This is an interesting thread because it strikes very deeply at our parental instinct to protect our kids from perceived threats.
I am posting a thread from National Geographic Green Guide on everyday plastics, just to point out how widespread our exposure is.
https://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/108/plastic
Having said that, I don't think it helps to get paranoid. I think our widespread exposure to potential toxins is very serious, particularly because we know so little about long-term health effects. However, I think we can safely question why we should be taking such a risk to begin with, particularly when there are so many other environmentally harmful issues associated with plastics and their overuse.
It takes a lot of work to keep up on this stuff. I have a degree in Enviro Studies and I still can't stay on top of all the conflicting research.
So, Nutmeg, I agree that we shouldn't let something get blown out of proportion, but I would argue that "a very small amount has not proven to be harmful"...YET.
Look at BPA.
That one has been controversial in Europe for awhile and has just recently been acknowledged as a hormone disruptor by Health Canada and banned from baby products, but it is still on the shelves in the US. The FDA agrees with the plastics industry that there is not conclusive evidence that it is harmful. Scientists worldwide would respectfully disagree.
So at what point do we relax and trust the agencies that are supposed to be in place to protect us?
Because up until this summer, when the BPA ban came into effect, I was quite ignorant of how pervasive it was and was happily chugging water from a BPA-laced bottle, thinking I was doing great things for my baby by staying well-hydrated.
When we know that melamine isn't great at certain doses, should we not question its presence AT ALL in infant formula?
I don't think it's being paranoid. I just wish that we would keep the substance in question out of exposure until we are certain it's safe, rather than exposing everyone to it and telling independent science organizations to prove that it isn't. Seems pretty ass-backwards to me.

I agree with a lot of what you say sarahkka!

There are millions of things that could prove to be harmful in the future though that we currently use/consume. We do learn as we go along and although many things are not proven harmful many things are not proven safe either! Yet how many of them do we use every day without a second thought.

I think its all about taking things into consideration, doing your own reasearch as far as you can and taking it from there. What one person judges as too risky, another may not regardless of what the 'officials' say.

I think bpa is a good example of where people jump on a bandwaggon though. We had a big load of publicity about over here a few months back and loads of mothers vowing they would switch to bpa free baby bottles. But when you ask them about avoiding the BPA in cans, bottles, wines and various other sources they suddenly become very quiet as they haven't actually looked into it for themselves just jumped on the lastest bandwaggon that went rolling past!

I'm also not saying we shouldn't question what goes into formula. From what i understand its a very under-regulated industry! I just think its important people don't think another china is about to happen because a small amount has been added. If someone is scared into suddenly switching formulas that could do their baby more harm than good than if they took a few days (if that) to look into in all and make a more informed decision.

Would be interested to know how much the ingredients vary in organic vs non organic formulas though if anyone knows?

It's just evil. I know it has been going on for ages in all areas of consumption, I just can't get my head around it, especially when it comes to baby formula - which for babies that can't breast feed, is the ONLY thing they will be ingesting. How can anyone with any kind of conscience think it is ok to pad out infant formula with non-food substances???

Would be interested to know how much the ingredients vary in organic vs non organic formulas though if anyone knows?

I've been looking around online to try to find out this. It seems that the organic formulas have been found to be free from traces of melamine and cyanuric acid. The trouble is that non-organic cow feed often has melamine added, also for 'protein' counts, so that is how it can get into any product with dairy...

Nutmeg and Sarahkka, I agree with both of your points about this.

The whole thing is just sad and depressing and I wish things will change, and fast.

I think they need a very strictly regulated industry when it comes to formula. Whether anyone ever gets one is another thing.

This makes me want to vomit. I have no idea why we pay taxes. They seem to be doing nothing of use.

And to add to the general sense that we are all being poisoned...
https://healthandfitness.sympatico....me=PHOTO_GALLERY_HF_TOXIC&pos=1&nolookup=true

But, remember!
It all starts by becoming aware.
The next step is to agitate for change and to vote with your dollar. With a lot of this stuff, you can make simple changes that will offer you a lot of benefits.
For example, choose white vinegar and baking soda as your household cleaners and totally avoid an onslaught of nasty-ass chemicals. That's way cheaper than buying regular cleaning products.
Be choosy about the plastic toys your kids play with. Less clutter, less expense, less worry. And if you have the healthytoys.org website, you have the latest consumer research at your fingertips.
On other stuff, I plan to write a few letters. We cook lots of stews and chilis that use canned tomatoes and beans. I think it's time I told our brands that if they want my business, then they better stop using BPA in their packaging.
It does make a difference.
Even if it all seems really overwhelming and depressing at first!

And to add to the general sense that we are all being poisoned...
https://healthandfitness.sympatico....me=PHOTO_GALLERY_HF_TOXIC&pos=1&nolookup=true

But, remember!
It all starts by becoming aware.
The next step is to agitate for change and to vote with your dollar. With a lot of this stuff, you can make simple changes that will offer you a lot of benefits.
For example, choose white vinegar and baking soda as your household cleaners and totally avoid an onslaught of nasty-ass chemicals. That's way cheaper than buying regular cleaning products.
Be choosy about the plastic toys your kids play with. Less clutter, less expense, less worry. And if you have the healthytoys.org website, you have the latest consumer research at your fingertips.
On other stuff, I plan to write a few letters. We cook lots of stews and chilis that use canned tomatoes and beans. I think it's time I told our brands that if they want my business, then they better stop using BPA in their packaging.
It does make a difference.
Even if it all seems really overwhelming and depressing at first!

well said. you are right it is disgusting and terrifying. i wish more people were aware of the shit that goes in food esp in the usa..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->