americas worse mom

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
Have you seen this? What is your opinion?

I guess I would have tended to be very over protective as i was as a child, but I think she is right and has opened my eyes to things and possibilities I haven't seen.

Saying that, I think in the series it works as these kids are very overprotected so given the freedom they "obey the rules" but would a child if they are brought up this way? or would they push the boundaries? If they do is that ok?

here is a link to her website if you haven't heard of it
https://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

this is from her website
Do you ever...let your kid ride a bike to the library? Walk to school? Make dinner? Or are you thinking about it? If so, you are raising a Free-Range Kid! Free-Rangers believe in helmets, car seats, seat belts — safety! We just do NOT believe that every time school age kids go outside, they need a security detail.

Why FreeRange?

When I wrote a column for The New York Sun on “Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Take The Subway Alone,” I figured I’d get a few e-mails pro and con.
Two days later I was on the Today Show, MSNBC, FoxNews and all manner of talk radio with a new title under my smiling face: “America’s Worst Mom?”
Yes, that’s what it took for me to learn just what a hot-button this is — this issue of whether good parents ever let their kids out of their sight. But even as the anchors were having a field day with the story, many of the cameramen and make up people were pulling me aside to say that THEY had been allowed to get around by themselves as kids– and boy were they glad. They relished the memories!
Had the world really become so much more dangerous in just one generation?Yes — in most people’s estimation. But no — not according to the evidence. Over at the think tank STATS.org, where they examine the way the media use statistics, researchers have found that the number of kids getting abducted by strangers actually holds very steady over the years. In 2006, that number was 115, and 40% of them were killed.

Any kid killed is a horrible tragedy. It makes my stomach plunge to even think about it. But when the numbers are about 50 kids in a country of 300 million, it’s also a very random, rare event. It is far more rare, for instance, than dying from a fall off the bed or other furniture. So should we, for safety’s sake, all start sleeping on the floor?

Well, upon reading that, I’m sure that some people will. But — let’s hope it doesn’t catch on. It’s crazy to limit our lives based on fear of a wildy remote danger. And yet, as I started speaking to people about kid safety in the last few days, I heard things that strike me as completely bizarre. One dad in an upscale suburb of New York, for instance, “lets” his 11-year-old walk one block to her best friend’s house –but she has to call the minute she arrives safely.

As if she’s been dodging sniper fire.

Another mom castigated me for my irresponsibility and proudly said that she doesn’t even let her daughter go to the mailbox in her upscale Atlanta neighborhood. There’s just too much “opportunity” for the girl to be snatched and killed. To her, I’m the crazy mom.

People who want me arrested for child abuse were sure that my son had dodged drug dealers, bullies, child molesters and psychopaths on that afternoon subway ride home by himself.

Believe me, if I lived in a city like that, I’d evacuate. But crime wise, New York City is actually on par with Provo, Utah — very safe.

Not that facts make any difference. Somehow, a whole lot of parents are just convinced that nothing outside the home is safe. At the same time, they’re also convinced that their children are helpless to fend for themselves. While most of these parents walked to school as kids, or hiked the woods — or even took public transportation — they can’t imagine their own offspring doing the same thing.

They have lost confidence in everything: Their neighborhood. Their kids. And their own ability to teach their children how to get by in the world. As a result, they batten down the hatches.

And then there are those who don’t.

I’m relieved to report that plenty of letters poured in with exactly the opposite viewpoint. There were more of these, in fact, than the naysayers. Parents from all over the country wrote, “Bravo!” “You’re not a bad mom!” And, “Good for you and good for your son!”
I loved getting these emails and hearing what these parents (and grandparents and friends and relatives) let their little loved ones do, but plenty of them also mentioned the dubious reactions of the other people in their community — sometimes even the other person in their bed.

So I started this site for anyone who thinks that kids need a little more freedom and would like to connect to people who feel the same way.

We are not daredevils. We believe in life jackets and bike helmets and air bags. But we also believe in independence.

Children, like chickens, deserve a life outside the cage. The overprotected life is stunting and stifling, not to mention boring for all concerned.

So here’s to Free Range Kids, raised by Free Range Parents willing to take some heat. I hope this web site encourages us all to think outside the house.

–Lenore

I completely agree with her. I am trying to raise free range children - I let them cross really quiet roads without holding my hand for example, and I try not to hover at playparks etc. I think that we are actually damaging a whole generation of children by being over cautious and never allowing them any freedom.

I also completely agree with her x My parents were not over protective in the slightest and i had a fantastic childhood because of it......im not over protective either.... i do think children need to be independent and be able to get by in the world without relying on their parents x

I completely agree with her. I am trying to raise free range children - I let them cross really quiet roads without holding my hand for example, and I try not to hover at playparks etc. I think that we are actually damaging a whole generation of children by being over cautious and never allowing them any freedom.

yeah its totally opened my eyes to how sheltered we have let our kids become and how that in fact is damaging, like dont talk to strangers, when actually you need to and it can be a positive good thing, like in the case of asking for help. i wonder how some kids would come if they got separated from mum and couldn't ask a stranger for help.

How old are yours when you allowed them to cross the street without holding hands? mine are all mega too young for any of it yet, 25 months and 10 weeks lol!

I live in an area with loads of EU migrants, and they are generally viewed as neglectful with regard to their child-rearing. One issue that cropped up was that they persistently allowed their children to cross roads without adults, and even younger children walking to school alone. I don't know to what extent this is true..but one of the support workers in the area commented that the irony of it all is that those children are less likely to get bumped by cars etc than those that have been holding mom's hand etc.

I am not sure I agree with allowing a child to cross without holding my hand, but I do agree that being over-protective has its pitfalls..and its not just in the sense of road safety, but life in general. x

Since about 2 and a half, but only on the really quiet roads and only when I say it's safe to cross. But I do teach them how to stop look and listen as soon as they start walking.

im the same but i think this woman is blurring the lines of not being overcautious and being plain irresponsible.

amelie is really good with roads, she knows the green cross code and always waits for me (she usually runs ahead) so we dont hold hands unless she wants to :)

wow! 2 and a half, my son would have no idea of road safety yet! eck!

I just told my husband about it and Im getting the idea he doesnt like the idea lol! But I do, I said about examples of what I saw on the show and he was like, its fine of the camera crew is around but not otherwise.

I would love an idea of what a child can do at what ages.

My 2.5 has great road safety awareness, on the school runs my girls ride there scooters and my youngest since her 2nd birthday zooms off in front of me but always stops way before she sees a road and will wait for me and listens to my directions, if i say slow down/stop etc... i will happily let her walk without holding my hand across some quieter roads and have not used reins since they were small and had just learnt to walk and were a bit wobbly and being outside walking was all new but i only used them a handful of times with my eldest as i didnt feel the need for them in all honesty and my youngest daughter refused to walk if she had them on so she wore them once, little miss independent!!!! she also loves giving her older sister who is nearly 7 lectures on safety which my 7 year old doesnt appreciate LOL xxx

Lightworker thats really interesting about the road situ, as most parents i know wont let junior school aged children walk to school alone solely because of the roads. x

I just told my husband about it and Im getting the idea he doesnt like the idea lol! But I do, I said about examples of what I saw on the show and he was like, its fine of the camera crew is around but not otherwise.

Does he walk a lot when you're out or is he in the pushchair? Amelie sings a song she learned at nursery and its to twinkle little star but its changed words.

'twinkle twinkle traffic lights
round the corner shining bright
red means stop, green means go
yellow means go very slow'

for crossing the road and the green/red man thing her nursery teaches them 'mummy says go really slow' instead of the reference to an amber light.

My mum has a bad habit of walking on the roads (quiet ones by our house) and amelie doesnt half give her a row LOL

I do agree with a lot of what she's saying and I hope to give my children a lot of freedom as they grow up. I think being overprotective stops them learning how to do things themselves.

My son was crossing roads without holding hands from about 3 years old, I think my daughter will be closer to 2.5 because she learns everything faster than he did. Now at 4 he rides his bike way ahead of me. He knows that he can cross quiet roads on his own, but he always waits for me at the busy roads. He does sometimes get some strange looks from passers by because when he's so far ahead of me it looks like he's on his own!

Does he walk a lot when you're out or is he in the pushchair? Amelie sings a song she learned at nursery and its to twinkle little star but its changed words.

'twinkle twinkle traffic lights
round the corner shining bright
red means stop, green means go
yellow means go very slow'

for crossing the road and the green/red man thing her nursery teaches them 'mummy says go really slow' instead of the reference to an amber light.

My mum has a bad habit of walking on the roads (quiet ones by our house) and amelie doesnt half give her a row LOL

before the babies came along he hadnt been in a push chair for months, unless my mum was taking him, but i would need to run after him and we dont do school runs yet so dont really walk where there are roads. He is naught and will temper tantrum and not listen and run off, so its terrifying, maybe should master the discipline first. lol ... do you use an discipline techniques?

we just do time out if she really needs it. generally counting to 5 works haha, she usually lets me get to 3 then panics and does what shes told.

I let Zoe have a huge amount of freedom as she does respond to Stop, come back, stay next to me, which is all you need really.
She isnt the most sensible kid and has no sense of fear. However I do think she needs freedom to learn. I dont make her hold my hand crossing a road, but I will in a car park. She understands to look both ways at a road and what red/green lights mean. However in a car park I dont think she gets that things can come at you from 360 degrees not just left or right.

I let her play in the garden, party supervised but wouldnt let her out the front as there is a country road out there, where the average speed is 46mph, ie a killer. However when she gets old I know people from around here, village of 300 or less, will offer her lifts home, as there is only rumours of a bus. I used to get in 'strangers' cars for a lift home if they could tell me my parents name. When shes older, and i mean 12+ I wont mind if she does the same.

I so far havent ever mentioned 'stranger danger' as tbh she if she was to become lost right now. She would need to approach someone to help her. When she is older I will explain that not everyone is nice but you cant teach them to fear everyone, especially not irrationally

I just finished watching that show, and while I agree with what she is saying, she is so annoying to watch! She usually makes me want to change the channel lol. I have a couple of friends I would love to get on that show though. One friend has 4 kids, lives directly across the street from a baseball diamond/playground, and none of her kids (the oldest being 12!!!) are allowed to go and play there. You can see the frigging park from her window!

we hold hands in a carpark too nic. they terrify me!

I have not seen the show, but completely agree with her philosophy. "Helicopter parenting" is damaging to our kids developmentally. We raise firghtened people who are afraid to take any risks and who have no experience in solving problems for themselves. They lack basic life skills!
I think this goes even further than allowing your kids more freedom. There is an amazing book called "Last Child in the Woods" in which the author, Richard Louv, talks about the fact that we not only forbid our children any unsupervised time, but we no longer allow them to access green spaces freely. The days of disappearing into the park or the woodlot at the end of the street with a gang of neighbourhood kids have disappeared. And Louv's theory is that we have created a "nature deficit disorder" by not allowing kids to go out and get dirty and build a fort together and solve problems together without an adult hovering over them. I fully agree with him.
And find it incredible that I would be judged less harshly as a mother if I let my kid sit on his ass in front of a screen all day rather than let him go for a bike ride and explore a local park on his own or with some of his friends. :nope:
I think this is a HUGE problem - this ridiculous misperception of stranger danger.

And I agree about traffic! The biggest threat to my sons is not some incredibly unlikely chance of abduction; it's traffic. I am hell on traffic safety with my little guys and drill it into them. That is my biggest safety fear for them. We live in a major city with very aggressive, bad drivers. So I can't let them really free range for awhile yet. They are just too small and impulsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->