An Article That Was On MSN

cleckner04

Reaction score
Found this on msn today. Thought it applied to this forum!

6 Things to Never Say to Your Pregnant Friend
You may think you're just being curious (or cute), but she'll secretly want to poke your eyes out.
By Paula Kashtan
Yes, we admit: It's always easy to unintentionally hit a hormonal land mine with another female, but when she's pregnant, it really doesn't take much for things to get ugly. Help yourself (and her!) with this list of things not to say.

"So...was it planned?"
Besides the obvious privacy invasion (their birth control = none of your business), there's the unspoken — and uncalled for — judgment. As in, "You really think now is a good time for a child? And you seriously think you can handle it?" Keep the unsolicited opinions to yourself.

"Twins! IVF or natural?"

No matter what her status is, in vitro fertilization is a touchy topic, so zip it. If she did have IVF, that means she had trouble getting pregnant on her own. Fertility issues are a pretty personal subject (if she wanted you to be in the know, she would've mentioned it by now). And if it wasn't IVF, she's likely had too many people assuming otherwise.

"30 weeks? You're still so small!"
There's just no way to win here. Tell her she looks small, and she hears that the baby isn't getting enough nutrition and she's already a negligent mother. Don't apply this in reverse, though. Yes, she's aware she's gaining weight; yes, she knows it's a natural and healthy thing; and no, she doesn't want to hear about it from you.

"Speaking of pregnancy, did I ever tell you about my sister's 36-hour labor?
Skip the horror stories, please — she's got enough to be nervous about without listening to your nightmare tales. And, by the way, it's totally okay (preferable, even) to not have anything interesting or illuminating to tell her about pregnancy, childbirth, or parenting.

"Well, maybe next time it'll be a boy."
Sorry, whose baby is this? Your gender preference is pretty much...no, entirely irrelevant. And rude! Anything less than unconditional happiness and support is best kept to yourself. And if she previously expressed hope for a different gender, there's no need to remind her — implying that she's not totally excited about the baby is a sure way to make her feel like a bad mommy.

"Felt any kicks yet [said while placing hand on her belly]?"
We know, the belly rub is tough to resist...but please do. Normal rules of human interaction do apply when dealing with a pregnant person, so hands off. Okay, you're allowed to politely ask for a touch, but even that deserves a little thought. Under normal circumstances, would you feel comfortable physically interacting with her? Sporting a bump doesn't suddenly make her body public property.

"[Insert name]? Really? Hmm, that's an...interesting choice."
Yes, we agree, she should've kept her baby name a secret if she didn't want feedback...but that doesn't let you off the hook. Unless she expressly asks for your opinion, keep it to yourself — choosing a name is hard enough without (unsolicited!) comments about how odd your grade-school classmate [insert name] smelled.

"That's a decaf latte, right?"
Another one of those none of your business situations. Same goes for questioning her decision not to drink caffeine, if that's the case...because no matter what the circumstance, all she's going to hear is your implied judgment. We don't care how many scary headlines you've seen about caffeine during pregnancy; this conversation is appropriate only if you're her doctor. Please apply the same logic to comments about sushi and alcohol intake.

"Let me know when you're at week 15. I'm praying this one works out."

Yes, we've heard this line. And more than once! No matter how good your intentions, there's never never never an appropriate time to mention the risk of miscarriage or any previous losses. Trust us — she's well aware.

"Yeah, babies are cute and all, but just wait until puberty..."
We're operating without a back button here...let's keep it positive, okay? Tell her how sweet babies are, talk about all the fun she'll have with her toddler, but please — nothing about the terrible twos or teenage mood swings. If she'd like your assistance when (and if) those things become a reality, she'll certainly seek it out. Until then, the small person growing in her belly offers more than enough to focus on.

LOL That gave me a good laugh! Some people need to think before they think!

Yes I aggree....:rofl: Ive had strange old men come up to me in Spotlight and say "are you sure you arent having twins?" all the while putting their hand on my tummy! :hissy: :argh:

Yes I aggree....:rofl: Ive had strange old men come up to me in Spotlight and say "are you sure you arent having twins?" all the while putting their hand on my tummy! :hissy: :argh:

Oh my that would be aweful. I'm still so early in my pregnancy and this is my first and I haven't even came out and told everyone yet so I haven't first hand experienced anything but from some of the stories I have heard people can be MEAN! It makes me want to just stay in the house through the later part of the pregnancy when I start to show. Otherwise there will be a lot of these :finger: flying around. haha

:hug: very nice article hun! and very true xXx

PS - it's not just non pregnant people who are rude, a pregnant lady told me when I was 9 weeks I can't be having any cravings as it was too early... hmmmmm....

Haha I think i'm more worried about the belly rubbing than the birth to be honest, people really do have no concept of personal space. Already I've had a few belly rubbers and I'm not even into my second trimester!

Everyone should read that! The personal space thing is so true - I'm glad no one's tried to rub my bump I'd find that totally wierd.

When people try to rub my belly I tell them to get lost :lol: There are certain people I let do it (you know, OH, Mum, OH's mum, close family or friends) but any strange people.. GET LOST! :lol:

Love the article, made me laugh :D

Some pregnancy etiquette for the general public!
Most excellent!
People need more of that - we need a full-on Miss Preggy Manners column to keep the education up!
Great read!

OMG this should be made visible to everyone.. along with of course "whose the daddy?" yes my lil 11 yr old brother asked me that, either he thinks i'm a slut or doesnt quite understand how babies are made. And that mention of miscarriages and all that HAH everyone of my OH mates replied "its early days yet" when told about the pregnancy(This was before I was 14 weeks). That was bad enough as it was but when my OH said it too I was in tears. No girl would ever say that, least not while i'm within earshot.

I'm only 20 and since "going public" (12 week scan on Wednesday made me want to tell everyone!!) I have been asked by so many people, "Was it planned?".
No it wasn't, but thats not their business!! Plus, as if that wasn't enough a few people have then delved further and asked was I on the pill or just using condoms!! Errr, why do you care???
Stupid people...

My friend is almost 17 weeks and quite big already and another friend of ours p****d us both off by commenting on how big my friend was and then asking me why I wasn't as big??? My friend is only 5ft 3" and not too slim, and I'm 5ft 9" and quite slim - of course we're gonna look different - and she's 3 weeks ahead of me anyway!!!!! :dohh:

Another big one... "So are you keeping it?"

WTF!?!? I've actually been asked that so many times. WTF do you think, moron? Do you think I'd be telling people I was pregnant when I'm planning on getting rid of it??!?

WTF!?!? I've actually been asked that so many times. WTF do you think, moron? Do you think I'd be telling people I was pregnant when I'm planning on getting rid of it??!?

Oh. My. God.
Are you f'ing serious?
That is so incredibly rude that my jaw just hit the floor.

how funny! Those comments should be printed out so that they can be handed out to everyone. i had a classic at work - when I was 18 weeks i was told by a 'friend' that she was able to wear a bikini at 18 weeks! cheeky cow! I nearly slapped her. she also said i'd be massive near the end. I'm 32 weeks now and i'm not massive - just pregnant!!! Think some comments stem from jealousy about getting attention!!!

Oh. My. God.
Are you f'ing serious?
That is so incredibly rude that my jaw just hit the floor.

I know. One guy I used to be friends with a long time ago asked me this one day...I was after getting sick of hearing it because for some reason everyone expected that is what I would do...and I went a little nuts at him. Of course, that was blamed on me being pregnant and hormonal, not because it was just wrong to have been said in the first place.

People just have no brains or consideration for what they say.

Rae, that's unreal, did you suggest they won't be keeping their head much longer if they carry on like that?!

Another to add: When I told work people at 9 weeks because we'd had a scan at 8 with all well and I felt so shit I wanted people to know why, one of my work colleagues asked "So are you ok telling people about it so soon?" Well duh!!! Didn't appreciate the implication that I might lose baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->