An end to co-sleeping

Samantha675

Maybe baby #3?!?
Reaction score
We have moved Brenn to his crib and his room full time now. As much as I love co-sleeping, it was time for us to make this move. I am sleeping much better, and most nights Brenn is as well. It was a slow process over several months, but I am happy with the change.

If you don't mind me asking, how did both of you cope with the change and how did you do it? I don't plan on doing for a while but I have been thinking lately that I would like to at least put him down in his cot maybe come spring and he can come in during the nite just so I can have some time to myself at night. But I don't even know where to start because he has just always come into bed with us and usually nurses to sleep.

Thanks

Well at 15-16 months, I brought his crib into my room, as a toddler bed (it was convertible) That way I could lay with him at night, and he would fall asleep. Once he woke up he came to our bed. Then at 18 months, I put the crib side on, and started putting him down there for him to fall asleep. There was a bit of crying to start with, but only about 5 minutes, and it only lasted a few days. Once he woke up, he came to our bed. Then after a few weeks, we would put him back down in his crib once he woke up. And moved on from there. Once he was sleeping n the crib most of the night. It was time to move to his room. I also found telling him about it helped. I started a couple of days before the move, telling him we were going to move his crib. I would point at the spot in his room where the crib was going to go, and tell him I was moving his bed to his room and he was going to sleep in his room. I think that really helped. He knew what to expect, and there were no tears at all the night I moved his bed. He watched me move it early in the after noon, and I told him all about it. I have been very surprised. He still wakes several times a night, but we go to him, and comfort him and put him back in his bed.

im not gonna be looking forward to the day i have to stop! glad its ok tho.

I thought the same thing Purple, but now that we made the move, I am really glad of it. I do miss him in bed with us, but I don't miss the tossing and turning and feet in my back, my face, my stomach. haha

:rofl: well im still at the peacefull stage, she cant even turn pver yet :D but im sure when the time comes u get glad for your own bed back

Claire Tabs was fine just did the same almost and she seemed happier in her own bed by then :)

Ok I'll admit it, my boys who are 6 and 8 still co-sleep with me every now and then :blush:

But Bekki at 6 & 8, you can tell them to get still or get out and they will. Right? haha

Glad that the switch went well :thumbup:

I am also dreading having to stop. It's funny because i never planned to co-sleep an thought i was only doing it out of convenience (to breastfeed and actually get some sleep!) but now i can't imagine not co-sleeping. We have an arm's reach 'co-sleeper' cot attached to one side of our bed still (Toby was in there for the first 3 weeks) so was considering using that to make the transition easier when the time comes (like start putting him down in there, then eventually detach it from the side of the bed and put the side up then move it away from the bed etc) but it TOTALLY depends on how old he is when we eventually stop as it isn't the size of a normal full-size cot, so that plan may not work when the time comes!!!!

I'm sure i read on here somewhere recently someone said they never bothered with a cot for their LO and they went straight from mum and dad's bed into their own junior bed and i thought that sounded great :thumbup: not sure my OH would agree though, he suffers from the lack of space due to 3 in the bed! :haha:

... not sure my OH would agree though, he suffers from the lack of space due to 3 in the bed! :haha:

lol, we got a bigger bed last month but OH still complains that there isn't enough room since Emma is now sleeping like a starfish :dohh:

I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->