An independent Scotland?

There is nothing we can do now but to plough on and hope Westminster keeps to what they have said. However, they have already changed things and promises to suit England as well.

Now whilst I get that fair is fair etc, for some time now scotland hasn't had it great. Yes we are still lucky to live where we do and how we do however the fact that promises have been changed and broken already indicates how little Westminster thinks of Scotland and the people of Scotland :(.

Onwards and upwards I guess!!!

Exactly Tasha! I don't like to be told why I voted no. I don't lay claims that Yes voters were brainwashed or swept along on a wave of false hope and patriotic-ness (can't think of a word!)
Please understand that people have their own reasons for why they voted and don't need to constantly hear that they were 'wrong'

I can't help but think that if the shoe was on the other foot that that's what we would be hearing Michelle. Give us a bit of leeway, at least for a few days. Imagine how you (or someone who identified strongly with being British), would feel if it was a YES vote.

Sorry guys, I know i sound bitter... I just need a few days to get my head around everything and think how I can personally move on with this. I'm not joking when I say i've literally been bursting into tears. I can understand that that might look like I think the U.K is awful etc etc- I don't. But well, i've really been deeply involved in this for the past 2 years. I feel like i'm grieving! This must sound very very over-dramatic, and even I didn't think I would take it so badly.

I agree makemeamammy.

I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful/ patronising to anyone- and I apologise to anyone I've offended.

But remember, and Michelle i'm not saying that you personally were taken in by any scare tactics, but BT branded THEMSELVES "Project Fear"; and I think I can be forgiven for assuming that many people were scared into voting NO. The media allowed for huge coverage on these scare stories as they were released, but little to no coverage on the same issues when they were shown to be overstated/ untrue. It's not just me who feels this way.

I voted no. It was an educated decision and not one based on fear campaigns. It was a fair democratic vote & I do think people are over reacting a little. We don't live in Syria.

I imagine with the elderly (having watched some interviews as well) the fact their nursing care is paid for in Scotland as well shows the elderly have it quite safe right now so I think it is understandable they would be more fearful of change, add to the mix older people are probably generally more risk averse so while I'm not denying other factors it makes sense yes votes were mainly in the young, it was why they pushed for 16-17 year olds to vote as they knew they would be more likely to be yes.

And I'm sorry but to compare Scotland remaining as part of the UK to England suddenly losing it's power to France is ridiculous.

And Tasha put so well into words why Debi your posts have been frustrating at times because you do come across as completely dismissive of why some people, whether Scottish or not, thought no was the best outcome.

This is possibly the most ironic post on this entire thread! On one hand you say Debi's posts have been frustrating as they could be perceived as dismissive and just before that you completely dismiss my opinion! :dohh:

How is it ridiculous? On the 18th of September we had the opportunity to take power back into Scotland's hands. We chose not to. If the exact same thing happened in England I imagine you would be quite upset! I'm actually done with this thread...when people start just telling others they are ridiculous and over dramatic simply for having an opinion there is no place for reasonable, respectful debate any more!

I imagine with the elderly (having watched some interviews as well) the fact their nursing care is paid for in Scotland as well shows the elderly have it quite safe right now so I think it is understandable they would be more fearful of change, add to the mix older people are probably generally more risk averse so while I'm not denying other factors it makes sense yes votes were mainly in the young, it was why they pushed for 16-17 year olds to vote as they knew they would be more likely to be yes.

And I'm sorry but to compare Scotland remaining as part of the UK to England suddenly losing it's power to France is ridiculous.

And Tasha put so well into words why Debi your posts have been frustrating at times because you do come across as completely dismissive of why some people, whether Scottish or not, thought no was the best outcome.

This is possibly the most ironic post on this entire thread! On one hand you say Debi's posts have been frustrating as they could be perceived as dismissive and just before that you completely dismiss my opinion! :dohh:

How is it ridiculous? On the 18th of September we had the opportunity to take power back into Scotland's hands. We chose not to. If the exact same thing happened in England I imagine you would be quite upset! I'm actually done with this thread...when people start just telling others they are ridiculous and over dramatic simply for having an opinion there is no place for reasonable, respectful debate any more!

Yes I have dismissed your comparison of what happened to Scotland to it being the same as if England was to suddenly lose its powers to France, do I really need to write a long post as to how that comparison really doesn't work here?? For a few pages it was left for the yes voters to share their disappointment but tbh the longer it was left the more statements were made that I've disagreed with so it's been pointed out, no one has been disrespectful. I understand it's still all very raw and I hope you can move on from this point, but as everyone has said we've all still got to live together so there's only so long we can dwell on what could have been and instead think how we can make the best for ALL of us, and if that means giving the politicians hell, let's start they have an insentive given it's election year next year .

Gutted by the result. And I truly believe that people that don't live here won't get that for which I'm sorry if that seems dismissive and patronising. I voted yes. Cheesy as it might sound, I hoped for a brighter future. Everything in Scotland being controlled BY Scotland, not by a UK government who I feel completely out of touch with. Protection for our NHS and other services, a return to the left like Laura said. Scottish Labour going back to its roots. No Tories, no UKIP, no bloody Boris. I could waffle on for ages because I haven't slept nearly enough...

I don't agree with the backlash no voters are getting though and I understand why they didn't want to take the risk to an extent. Also the riots I'm George square were no representative of either side - regardless of the result bigots like those would always cause trouble. To assume that they were out as silent no voters is a bit naive tbh because some of my best friends were no voters and certainly don't agree with it!

Apologies for my misunderstanding makememammy.

Guys I live in the constituency Boris Johnson will be running in (a very conservative area) I'm the one who should be worried :haha:

I voted no. It was an educated decision and not one based on fear campaigns. It was a fair democratic vote & I do think people are over reacting a little. We don't live in Syria.

My vote was also educated, and I don't for one second think that everyone who voted NO did so out of fear.

We don't live in Syria, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to do better. Our society is one of the most unequal in terms of rich and poor in the Western world. There are children born in this country- a WEALTHY country- who have literally no chance. That's what this was about for me, social justice. And myself and many others saw independence as a platform for the radical political reform required to really change things. That won't happen now unless the people of rUK also speak up against it. And certainly won't happen under Tory rule.

So forgive me for over reacting, but eradicating poverty is something close to my heart.

I cant believe someome would say no was the wrong choice,esp if someone done the research amd chose what they thought best.

Who said that?! Those who voted no voted it for reasons that were for them. Each side had their own reasons

Just what I have seen. I dont think anyone voted for what they didnt see right.

Oh sorry thought yoy meant here lol! Absolutely there was no definate right or wrong it was peoplea choices

Saw lots of Yes voters on facebook calling the No voters cowards (and worse things). One wrote a very offensive angry rant but apologised when he sobered up. I can understand people saying things they wouldn't otherwise say when they are upset about the results. Just hope everyone will calm down soon and work together to heal the divide between Yes and No.

I was in George sq yesterday & the yes voters were taking over it. a news reporter was trying to speak for the news & a guy kept shouting about the food banks & to save them for the people who need them, they reporter had to tell him to be quiet for 5mins while she spoke :haha:
what happened to the daily mail offices/building was terrible though!!

I was in George sq yesterday & the yes voters were taking over it. a news reporter was trying to speak for the news & a guy kept shouting about the food banks & to save them for the people who need them, they reporter had to tell him to be quiet for 5mins while she spoke :haha:
what happened to the daily mail offices/building was terrible though!!

What happened to the Daily Mail building?
I'd heard reports the Hearld building was on fire but it turned out to be an electrical fire outside so nothing to do with anybody.

It is one of those things the vote was so close that it could really have gone the other way with the other 45% of the population unhappy. And that is far to many for the country to drag out of a union.

Give it a few years for Westminster to show their true colours on the promises, the baby boomers to realise they are loosing the things they hold dear, and we'll have our independence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->