An independent Scotland?

There's been no mention if Scottish mps getting their own way only English? Well that's how it's been portrayed here at the moment. Personally English should have rule in theirs and Scottish their own ones same as Wales and Northern Ireland. Therefore fairs fair. X

See I saw it as a follow on from Scotland getting devo max that it would follow that England got the same not that he was saying no to Scotland so to speak. At least that is how I saw it as I agree I think each should have their own rules for certain things and then come together when needed as part of the union.

Ed Miliband does not like the English MPs only bit as the theory is Labour needs the Scottish MPs to get into power and then get through policy in Westminister without them. The way it stands at the moment if we lose Scottish Mps unless we try a different voting approach we will either be doomed to a Conservative Government or have a ineffective Labour one. Neither sounds particularly appealing to a lot of English voters.

To be honest that is the real issue a lot of English have with rushing through Scottish devo max. Its not that we dont want you to have the powers is that the implications on our side need thinking through and agreeing otherwise we get lumbered with the exact thing Scotland were trying to get rid of, a Conservative Government permanently in power or UKIP trying to get through without proper democratic process.

If only there were some sensible people who could sort them out. If anyone knows of any that would be good!

Ed milliband has already pulled out of devo max surprise surprise

I saw that. To have signed up to that then pull out as soon as the vote was counted is disgusting. There should be a law on MPs deliberately miss leading voters.

The one decent thing is that 45% of the population can't be ignored. So it's given the main parties a wake up call.

Heard some analyst say something about the main parties have become increasingly same ish. But people are becoming increasingly disgruntled with the way the country is being run. Scotland is turning towards SNP England to UKIP.

The main parties must be relieved they've saved the union this time but shitting themselves knowing things must change.

Referendum on Europe well that will be interesting. Lots of people voted No based on the threats of getting kicked out of Europe.
What will happen if England votes to come out of Europe but Scotland wants to say in?

This isn't the end but the beginning of change which hopefully will build a better UK.

I'm actually more frightened staying in the union than I was of independence so much uncertainty for scotland now its so sad.

Westminster were never going to deliver on their promises but thankfully the 45% of us yes voters will not stand for it

Scotland best just bend over and assume the position because westminster are well and truly going to do is over

I couldn't vote in the poll because there wasn't an option that was appropriate for me :haha: I'm Scottish but living in England (literally right on the border though!) so I couldn't vote but would have voted no if I had been able to vote x

I thought you were in scotland?! I can come 'boil my head' at your house lol ;)

Over the last few days I have witnessed a lot of people using 'politics' as an excuse to be offensive, racist, elitist and intolerant - the world is divided enough already. I hope that things will settle for everyone soon. Its not a no to Independence ever, Just not right now.

That's my feelings. Great idea in theory and as much as I would like to see Scotland stand on their own two feet, now is not the right time.

I hate how our country has been divided, the vile crap being posted. Some of Scotland should be ashamed - we should be ashamed of the way we have treated each other this week. :growlmad:

Completely agree. We have definitely not covered ourselves in glory this week.

I was a No and still happy with my decision. Even if we did get independence you cannot say with any certainty that we wouldn't be in an awful mess in 5/10 years time, that our children wouldn't be paying through the nose for education. There was nothing concrete about their proposals and in the end i think that is what people voted for. Change is a scary scary thing when it comes to your survival and the future of your children. You want to convince people to follow you, give them guarantees, not just dreams.

I am somewhat proudly scottish but this has not wiped me of my identity it is simply what i thought best for my family NOW and in the FUTURE.

I'm so upset, keep bursting into tears. What an awful feeling. I really hoped we were going to do it and make this country a better place for everyone. Now I don't see that ever happening... not anytime soon anyway. I hope people don't regret their decision. Labour already reneging on the timetable- surely they knew it wasn't feasible when they made the promise?! People voted NO because of this :cry:

Fair enough to those who voted no, they obviously did so because they thought that was what was best but I fear that there is even more uncertainty for scotland now than there would have been with independence

Devastated! Just absolutely gutted beyond belief! :,(

The yes campaign held peaceful rallies and were called all sorts of names. The no campaign labelled themselves as the 'silent, dignified majority' in opposition to that...and now we see those 'silent, dignified' people standing in George Square, burning our flags, singing Rule Britannia and organising orange order marches!

I don't really know why anyone is surprised that the three amigos are now scuttling back into their rat holes pretending they didn't promise us anything! And as for the pp who said we couldn't guarantee Scotland wouldn't be in an awful situation 5/10 years down the line...let's see how everyone feels when they're left with a Torie/ukip government standing over them! Social justice died a little bit more in our country yesterday! :cry:

I'm sorry but those eejits starting riots aren't representative of no voters, they are just idiots looking for another reason to start their crap. Referendum or not they are always looking for a march and some stupid behaviour

Makemeamammy - we will be worse off in 5-10 years time when we are paying through the nose for health insurance once the nhs is privatised 😫

Peaceful rallies, are you kidding me! Anyway fact is the MAJORITY of scotland wanted to stay united. It is done now lets move forward. Yes they may not fulfil their promises but do you honestly believe Salmond wouldnt break his too?! Come on.

It is important to remember that the idiots (on both sides) are the minority and what they've said and done in the last few days and weeks is not indicative of the side they claim to represent. The vast majority of Scottish people have behaved in a way that ALL Scottish people can be proud of and that is what counts.

Makememammy all i was saying is you cannot categorically say that we would be better off independent so forgive us for thinking it could end badly as we all know the grass isnt always greener.

Yes, the rallies held before the referendum were peaceful! I know people who were there and can verify that and even the mass media has said they were peaceful, just like the mass media have said that it was unionists who were causing the trouble last night! I fully believe that they were the minority of no voters but no voters they were none the less! Just like the yes voters holding rallies and protesting outside the BBC were called all sorts when they were only a very small proportion of the yes campaign! And as a result of that the top dogs of the no campaign started to brand themselves as the 'silent, DIGNIFIED, majority' - the insinuation being that all yes voters were undignified.

I believe with all my heart that Salmond and the SNP more than any of the other politicians involved in the campaign has Scotland's interests at heart. It's taken 24 hours and the promises made by the No campaign have already been broken (not that I'm surprised about that). Scotland would not have the powers we already have (or the powers we are going to get - hopefully!!) if it was not for the SNP.

Rallies always attract a certain type of person who wants to make trouble they probably did not care about the vote they just want to make trouble

its the same with politicians not one does not work from an agenda that suits them personally - however much it does meet the needs of the people ultimately they will never deviate from a path that does not meet their needs as well.

Scotland should get the devolved powers, not least of all because a lot of the issues facing England are to do with overcrowding, London has a population double that of Scotland so is going to face different issues. The problem is not that they want to backtrack on devo max per se but its the implications it has on England Parliament, how do you create an English Assembly, do you take all the MPs from each country as to who is Prime Minister but then how do sort out the fact that if you take the other countries out (Sadly) England would be far more UKIP and Conservative then the others.

ITs opened up a whole can of worms it is going to be difficult to sort out.

Without meaning to be inflamatory as I am geniunely interested and admit I might live in a bubble. I get to some extent wanting independence and the need to be a separate country and not wanting to be ruled by a tory government you did not vote for and I realise that Margaret Thatcher did a lot of damage but what is unequal now? From a naive perspective you have a better deal on education (free Univeristy) better housing buying system better house prices. Feel free to tell me I am being a naive Londoner but I just dont get some of the anger towards the english

It is important to remember that the idiots (on both sides) are the minority and what they've said and done in the last few days and weeks is not indicative of the side they claim to represent. The vast majority of Scottish people have behaved in a way that ALL Scottish people can be proud of and that is what counts.

Well said, those a-holes are the same a-holes who would cause bother no matter the result, for years football got the blame for them but really they are nothing to do will football either. They were using football as a stage now they are using politics as a stage.

Glasgow has worked hard to clean up its image to the world, including holding the commonwealth games peacefully now this. Let's us hope it settles and doesn't put the city backward.

Rallies always attract a certain type of person who wants to make trouble they probably did not care about the vote they just want to make trouble

its the same with politicians not one does not work from an agenda that suits them personally - however much it does meet the needs of the people ultimately they will never deviate from a path that does not meet their needs as well.

Scotland should get the devolved powers, not least of all because a lot of the issues facing England are to do with overcrowding, London has a population double that of Scotland so is going to face different issues. The problem is not that they want to backtrack on devo max per se but its the implications it has on England Parliament, how do you create an English Assembly, do you take all the MPs from each country as to who is Prime Minister but then how do sort out the fact that if you take the other countries out (Sadly) England would be far more UKIP and Conservative then the others.

ITs opened up a whole can of worms it is going to be difficult to sort out.

Without meaning to be inflamatory as I am geniunely interested and admit I might live in a bubble. I get to some extent wanting independence and the need to be a separate country and not wanting to be ruled by a tory government you did not vote for and I realise that Margaret Thatcher did a lot of damage but what is unequal now? From a naive perspective you have a better deal on education (free Univeristy) better housing buying system better house prices. Feel free to tell me I am being a naive Londoner but I just dont get some of the anger towards the english

Sorry, I was at YES rallies and they were certainly NOT about causing trouble.

There is no anger towards the English!!!!!! It is about Westminster, not "the English" for goodness sake.

Scotland did not vote for the Torys, that is the problem. Why should we be subjected to a government we didn't vote for?

As for free education/ prescriptions etc, they are devolved to the Scottish parliament and come from our overall budget, therefore we don't spend as much on other things. We voted for a government who had these things in their policy (SNP).

Peaceful rallies, are you kidding me! Anyway fact is the MAJORITY of scotland wanted to stay united. It is done now lets move forward. Yes they may not fulfil their promises but do you honestly believe Salmond wouldnt break his too?! Come on.

See this entire statement is what is wrong with politics and why the YES vote was so high. We should not be sitting back and excepting and even expecting our leaders to break promises they make. Especially not on an issue as important as this. They "vowed" in front of everyone that we would get new powers in a certain timescale. If they don't hold these promises there will be trouble. People voted against the independence of their country because of these promises.

And there is nothing wrong with a peaceful rally- we live in a democracy with freedom of speech. People gathering to show their support for something is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->