...And then there were 5...

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
Monday February 1, 2016 I woke up at 3:00am, unable to sleep. I wasn't due to check into the hospital for a while, so I put on Harry Potter and decided to stuff some diapers.

5:30am, I headed out the door to the hospital, got up to the Labour and Delivery floor to find out there were no nurses available to check me in, due to an emergency c-section. It was another 45 minutes before they came out. I went to the washroom and headed into my room. The nurse got me hooked up to the IV, did my bloodwork, and had me sign the last of the consents. Nothing eventful happened til about 7:15am when my best friend showed up to be in the operating room with me. We got one last belly shot and met with the anesthesiologist one last time. My OB came in to wish me luck and half an hour later, my friend was handed her scrubs and I walked back to the OR with the nurse.

It took two rounds of freezing before my back properly froze and the anesthesiologist put the spinal in. It didn't take long before my toes and feet began tingling and the spinal took over. The nurses helped me lay down while they put the catheter in and instantly, I felt like the chest was collapsing and I gagged like I was going to vomit twice. I was given a medication through the IV to offset these reactions and everything went smoothly from there. At 8:15am, my OB and best friend walked in and we got started. I watched the clock like a hawk waiting to see what time she would be born at. I felt the pressure and the tugging and at 8:36am, my OB announced "She's just a tiny little peanut!" But I didn't yet comprehend that she was out and watched the clock until 8:39am when I heard her first cry, and they lowered the curtain as they lifted her to me to see.

We delayed clamping the cord for a few minutes and then let me best friend cut the cord. She was taken to be weighed and assessed and immediately brought over to me for some skin to skin while they sewed me back up.

At 9:10am, I was wheeled into recovery and stayed there with her on my chest for an hour until the spinal began to wear off. She tried her hardest to latch and feed but was unable to latch properly due to a severe tongue tie. I made an appointment for next week for her to get it clipped but the pediatrician who came to see her at 24 hours old clipped it for us and we will follow up on it next week. Sadly, I did not escape horrible damage to my nipples. She just about chewed them straight off from the top down. Her latch is improving, but not perfect yet and it still hurts but hopefully that will improve as we relearn the latch.

Noralie Harper Ellis graced the world with strong lungs on February 1, 2016 at 8:36am. She weighed 7lbs 4oz and was 19.8in long. She has a dark head of hair and the face of perfection. She was born via a beautiful repeat caesarean, the first being a very traumatic one under general. Her birth was extremely healing for me. We were discharged today, 48 hours after birth. She weighed 6lbs 12oz at discharge. I'm so in love with this little girl.

Pictures will be posted separately, since BnB and my phone hate each other. 3 out of her 4 siblings are absolutely in love with her. The 4th, my 18 month old, chooses to pretend she doesn't exist. He doesn't like that she stole his baby status lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 69
Those little cheeks!! She is absolutely gorgeous, congrats!

Congratulations she is a beauty!!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->