Andrew - born at 29 weeks!

Marleysgirl

Mum to a SCBU Warrior!
Reaction score
Hi'y'all

Some of you may remember that I posted in here a couple of weeks ago with questions about potentially having a preemie baby ... well he's been born!

A week after having steroid injections in case of early delivery, I was due to return to hospital for my daily u/s scan when I had a morning of reduced movement, so I actually went in earlier than planned that day, suitcase in DH's hand, suspecting that this might be it.

They scanned me, and although baby's heartbeat was strong, they agreed that he wasn't moving much. Checking the doppler, my placental bloodflow had deteriorated to a potentially dangerous level - the choice was to deliver the baby as soon as possible, or risk losing him in the womb. Easy decision really. Seven hours later (they had to wait because I'd had lunch!), Andrew was delivered by caesarian section, weighing just 1lb 6oz, even less than the expected.

DH saw him in the theatre as they were intubating etc, and I was taken to see him in the NeoNatal unit (SCBU) the next morning, when he was stable.

Since then, his blood sugars have been up and down so he's had some insulin; they're treating him with antibiotics against infection; he was jaundiced for a day so received UVlight treatment; and he's had a couple of blood transfusions to raise his platelet & Hg levels. We've had no "major panics" yet, although headscans have revealed a couple of pre-delivery bleeds in the skull (between brain & skull) that they are monitoring, as yet we & the docs don't know what damage this may have done to the underlying brain areas.

But on the good side :happydance: Andrew came off the ventilator about 4 days ago (less than a week old), and yesterday he spent some time off the Cpap system too, as his lungs are so strong, thanks to those steroid injections.

He is still absolutely tiny, weighing 1lb 9oz yesterday - he's putting on weight now as he's on my EBM (moooooooo!). And everybody in the Unit is impressed with his progress, he's proving to be a little toughie.

wow!!! congratulations to you hun!!!

and well done to your little fighter!!!!
xxxxxx

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the world baby Andrew!!

Already CPap, that's awesome.

Are his bleeds called IVH by any chance? Lakai had a brain bleed as well, but his development and everything have so far not been affected by it.

Congrats again!! I cannot wait to see pictures!

Congrats hun i thought you hadnt been around much. Im so glad Andrew is doing so well he will soon pile on the pounds and be home where he belongs x

Congrats :) You have a little fighter there by the sounds of it! x

congratulations, he sounds like a little (teeny weeny infact) fighter! Great that hes putting on weight. xxx

congrats, Andrew sounds like a wee toughie he'll surprise you how quick he comes on. Take care x x

Congratulations on the birth of baby Andrew! welcome to the world little one!

Hope he continues to get stronger as beautifully as he is, he has done sooooooo well to have time off of CPAP already. He's definatly a fighter!

Hang in there Chick-we've all been where you are now, right at the start of your SCBU journey-but you'll get there, just like we have with our babies.

Many congratulations again, and I look forward to following your journey.

Take care xx

how wonderful he is here and is now safe and sound and being cared for.
I hope you are feeling ok after your experience:).

Congratulations!:happydance:

Congrats, he sounds sooo strong!

congrats on your wee bub!! Wishing yous all the best and he sounds like a little toughie!! xx

congrats hun he really sounds like a fighter and i can't wait to see pics of your tiny man xx

BIG NEWS!!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Andrew was promoted from the NeoNatal ICU to the High-Dependency room last night, he's doing that well!!!!

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Tigsteroonie/Baby/DSC01503.jpg

yeahhhhh for Andrew thats fantastic news, he's doing so well and gonna be a real heartbreaker with that cheeky wee gorgeous face x

awwwwwwwwww HULLO little tiny Andrew! :hi:

Thats fab news he's been promoted, its a fantastic feeling isnt it! Well done you. Upwards and Onwards!

I love his tufty hair at the back-ahhh :cloud9: make sure you get a few prints taken of his teeny hands and feet-usually the nurses will help you with that. They soon grow! :cloud9:

Congratulations again! xx

wow he is doing well, he is so cute hun. You must be very proud :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"