Anita Blake by Laurell K Hamilton

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone read these and would they recommend? I've heard they are a bit kinky!?

Unsure whether to bother?

I know quite a few ladies that have read the series and love it. It's not for me as I don't like fantasy stuff (Harry Potter being the exception).

Thank you. I might give them a try but I'm the same not really my thing, but a friend enjoyed them so :shrug:

Why not pop to your local library and see if you 'loan' the first one? Should tell you whether you like them and saves you money if you don't.

Hi! I read the first several and loved them but later on they became low on plot. It was all just badly written sex and judging from the reviews I saw last, still is. A sad way to go too because Anita Blake started out as someone who did not sleep around ever :(
Laurell K. Hamilton has lost quite a few fans. I know that she was also rude to fans in the past who said that they didn't like the books anymore because all it is is sex.

I read the first few then went off them which is a Shame as I do usually enjoy this genre of books

I tried them over the holidays and am now on the 10th.... :blush:
I am surprised by how much I am enjoying them. They are getting more sexual, but I think this has a lot to do with the growth of the character, and so far, I haven't found it over the top.
I am about to start Narcissus in Chains and the description sounds like the sex factor gets ratcheted up a few notches. If it just becomes sex and the good thriller/mystery part stops then I'll probably lose interest. Right now, I am really enjoying them. It's fun action/crime stuff with a supernatural twist.

I tried them over the holidays and am now on the 10th.... :blush:
I am surprised by how much I am enjoying them. They are getting more sexual, but I think this has a lot to do with the growth of the character, and so far, I haven't found it over the top.
I am about to start Narcissus in Chains and the description sounds like the sex factor gets ratcheted up a few notches. If it just becomes sex and the good thriller/mystery part stops then I'll probably lose interest. Right now, I am really enjoying them. It's fun action/crime stuff with a supernatural twist.

I believe that one was the last my sister liked. I liked it up to Obsidian Butterfly.
Hey Meridith Gentry series became all sex too. I mean, it started out with a lot anyways but eventually by like the 5th book you hadn't even made it through a whole day (literally, a book about less than a day) and it was all orgy after orgy. I believe a friend of mine described it as "vagina as a magic 8 ball."

Oh my god. :shock:
There is SO MUCH :sex: !!! :rofl:
While I do think that Hamilton built a justification character-wise for the sexcapades, it is a little silly. There is still a plot, it still works (so far anyway), but it's getting close to the line for me. Not close to the line as in the sex offends me or anything, but close to the line in that the story is getting close to spinning its wheels while Anita bangs everything that moves.

I liked the first few but then they started having loads of sex scenes which wernt really needed to further story. I would say the sherlynn kenyon series dark hunters is alot better and same sort of genre

I love, love, love this series. Each book is sexier than the last. It has a good plot line, too, if you're in to fantasy.

Here's my take: I have read all of them now and I am split. I understand why Hamilton has incorporated so much sex into the series and I don't think that it's badly written by any means, but I have to be honest - it is starting to make plot wheels spin for me. I am finding myself starting to speed-read the sex scenes to get back to the story. For me, that means Hamilton is getting into dangerous territory as a writer. She isn't carrying the plot through the sex. The sex is a detour. I am invested enough that I will keep reading (I definitely want to know what happens next!), but I enjoyed the first half of the series more.

Got about a quarter the way through one once and binned it in the end...it was just garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->