Another attempt at cloth nappies

Kit

Reaction score
What is the latest anyone here has started with cloth nappies?
We bought a set of the fairly basic Lollipop bamboo nappies, in 2 sizes but couldn't use them to start with because LO was so skinny. We have made a couple of abortive attempts since but he cries and screams when he is put in one so I am assuming there is something he finds uncomfortable about them.
I am thinking about making a final attempt but with a different type of nappy. He is at nursery, and while they will do cloth nappies without making a fuss, I know they do find it a bit of a pain in the neck if they have to do anything very complicated, so ease of use would be a fairly big criteria. Also, he is still a long, lean little boy so anything too bulky would swamp him.
I am wondering about getting a couple of Bumgenius 3s while they are on offer, and a couple of Flips. What do people think?
I am guessing from the nursery's point of view something like the Flips would probably be easier, or I suppose I could provide a batch of pre-stuffed, pre-lined Bumgenius so all they have to do is put them on. I know that they would have to do whatever I asked them to do in terms of nappies, but we have a really good relationship with the nursery, and they do go above and beyond what is necessary with the babies so I don't want to make life unduly difficult, particularly since they have quite a few babies at the moment.
Also, do people generally use the disposable liners or not? I see how they would make life easier, but are they as comfortable? Or would homemade fleece liners be better?

Both V3s and Flips are slim fitting, easy to use reliable nappies, so I think they are a great choice. I think V3s would be even easier for your nursery to use than Flips, as if you have already stuffed them it is the same as putting on a sposie. Flips are barely any more complicated though lol.

I know a lot of people on here have started around 10 months ish, try Monkeh, Lu28, I think Blob was a late starter, I'm sure they'll be along soon lol.

Hope they work for you :) x

v3's would be easier for the nursery as there would be no building for the nursery to do. flips need putting together at point of use.

i use fleece liners in my nappies, but the v3's are fleece lined anyway, so it's up to you f you want to use a liner really.

he might find it strange for the first few days, try and buy at least a days worth of nappies so your not constantly switching between the two. the v3s do dry really quick so you could wash them at the end of the and they'd be dry by morning.

see how you get on though before buying loads and loads though - just in case!

Thanks - it sounds like the V3 might be the best option. Re: the fleece liners - I read somewhere that a fleece liner on a fleece lined nappy is counter-productive because the wee can't get through 2 layers of fleece. Is that right or is it rubbish?!

I'm not going to be any help, but I've just started making the switch to cloth diapers and Mady is 8 months old. :flower:

Right, I have taken the plunge and ordered 5 V3s and one Flip. If it doesn't work out then you will be seeing them in the for sale thread!

Right, I have taken the plunge and ordered 5 V3s and one Flip. If it doesn't work out then you will be seeing them in the for sale thread!

DIBS! :haha::winkwink:

:happydance:

We started at 9 months with Flips and they were great. They are more work than v3s but their man proof which says alot! :haha:

Sounds like you've got a good combination there and at least then you can figure out exactly what you prefer when they arrive :D

I started using cloth with Dexter in January, so when he was 7 1/2 months-ish. We started with Flips, which are nice and slim and worked really well for us. I haven't tried BG at all though so can't comment on those. Itti AIOs are another easy one which I love, but as Dexter is tall and slim we're getting wing droop :(

I use fleece liners on everything, whether it's already fleece lined or not :haha: I just cut up a fleece blanket I had and they work great :thumbup:

Somebody else on here (can't remember who) started fairly late and their LO screamed whenever he weed. I think it was just that the wee takes a bit longer to be absorbed in cloth and he wasn't used to it, so it may be worth trying again with the lollipops too. I'd definitely use a fleece liner. When a nappy is already lined with fleece I don't tend to use one, but if the fleece is old and bobbly I do cos I don't think it feels very nice against Leyla's bum. I've never had a problem with the fleece layers working against each other.

Thanks everyone. Kota, I am guessing that in light of your dibs I should watch out for threads entitled 'cloth nappies are rubbish - sell them all!' or 'don't try cloth nappies at 9 months old'.:haha:

Well I am cautiously optimistic about changing over. They arrived this morning and I took the V3 and Flip to the nursery to see if they had any strong views. They were all pro the V3, not for convenience but because they have had problems with leaks in Flips, but not with the V3s. So we tried one this afternoon - no screaming like we had with the Lollipops (other than our current usual nappy-change hysterical protest!) and after 4 hours he was still dry although he had managed to do a fairly soggy poo which I didn't smell. At least this gave me a chance to see that the nappy can deal with wet poo.
So I am fairly hopeful that we may be joining the Fluffy Bum Club soon!

I should admit to chickening out about trying a reuseable overnight on the first night - he is in a disposable right now!

Sounds like you had a great first day! I'm still slowly changing my stash over, I now have 16 cloths and 6 on the way, but still use disposables at night or if i'm going to be out all day long.

Sounds like a good start Kit, that's great! :happydance:

I'm wondering if I might be able to sell my set of Lollipop bamboo nappies - I don't get the impression they are all that popular. Anyone seen any being sold?

We started at 13 mths - don't think anyone can beat that! :p We only started in February and have a nice little stash now - I have one of all sorts of nappies as I wanted to try and see what they were like before I stocked up on more. We have found pocket nappies to be the best for us. Ella is in daycare full time so we needed nappies that were simple to put on and dried quickly. I love my issy bear nappies the most! The fuzzi does a good job too - haven't tried bgv3 yet but am looking at them.

I'm wondering if I might be able to sell my set of Lollipop bamboo nappies - I don't get the impression they are all that popular. Anyone seen any being sold?

Try clothnappytree? At the right price, you'll be able to sell them.

As for night nappies, that's a whole different ball game. Molly has special night nappies and wool covers but some people find the v3s hold up well, it depends on how heavy a wetter your LO is.

BGV3's dont work on Caitlyn but she's an uber heavy wetter. Pop in's do but the smell is dreadful the next morning :sick: I need to find a nice night nappy soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->