another overfeeding question!

jenny82

Reaction score
sorry!

anyhoo LO is regularly taking 5oz and draining the bottle, and hes only 3weeks on wednesday!

i was considering upping him to 6oz but is this not too much??

he isn't a big baby. at his last weigh in last tuesday, he was 8lb...

I really wouldn't worry. Is your LO going 3 hours or more between feeds? If so then thats fine. They reach a plateau (Earl reached this at 6 weeks) where they are happy with the amount of food they are getting, their tummy's have expanded and they are settling into a routine. I had the same thing with Earl where at about 3 weeks I offered him 6oz per bottle. He didn't want it all the time and I was wasting a lot so I dropped him back to 5oz...he eventually went up to 6oz at 5.5weeks and that's where he's sticking at the moment. He eats approx every 3 hours during the day and will quite often sleep through the night. I think you need to just go by what your LO wants and not worry about him. See what his weight is and ask your HV at your next clinic visit.

I know every baby is diff & it'll depend how long they go between feeds too, Jax is 4wks & takes usually 3oz per feed & does 3-4hrs between em, Occasionally 4oz. Hv told me he was drinking to much :dohh: yeh right lol

He's usually 4 hours between feeds and has gone 5-5.5 hours during the night. Last night he was hungry again 90 minutes after taking about 4oz and I had to feed him again at 2.30am - he took another 2 oz!! Greedy baby :)

I'm just thinking though - he was on penicillin for 5 days there for an infection in his belly button and had horrible diahorrea (sp) so I'm wondering if it made him more hungry...

He could be drinking more during day for going longer at night. Or he could just hungry , if you dont think he needs feeding hour after his last one try cooled boiled water hun in case hes thirsty or just needs sucking to comfort. Hv told me this although no good for us jax will not drink water lol

I'll try that, cheers - do you just put an ounce or so in a sterilsed bottle?

He drained 5 oz at 8pm and again at 11pm. I think I'm going to have to up his bottles to 6oz just to see if he'll take it..

I would up his bottles to 6oz. Better to occasionally throw an oz away than be left wondering if he's had enough. Ruby was about 8lb at Culann's age too and drank similar amounts of milk, plus she was very hungry in the evenings, she fed at 6,8 and 10pm, and went long stretches at night.

Alfie was the same and hv said not to up it to 6oz but I think if he needs it he needs it so I upped it, I wasnt going to have him crying with hunger. If he is constantly draining 5oz bottles I would defo up his feed to 6oz x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->