Anti D - just 1 injection?

cb1

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I saw my midwife yesterday and she confirmed that I'm O Rh -ve so will Anti D injections.

When I had my bookng appointment with her she said that there were 2 injections, 1 at 28 wks and 1 at 34, but yesterday she said I'll just have a larger dose at 28 wks instead??

Everything I've read (and from what she first told me) has said there are 2 injections, so I'm wondering why this has changed?? The cynic in my says it's cost cutting - why do it twice if you can get away with just doing it once, but it makes me wonder if only 1 injection is needed why the general advice is to have 2??

Anyone else got any experience with this?

Ta xx

i have one anti d at 28 weeks and glad of it they bloody hurt :)

I had 1 at 28 weeks, and not due anymore until baby is born. However I understand where your coming from as everywhere I have read your meant to have two. I will ask at next appointment, but I take it they are doing the right thing, and like someone said - it hurts so im grateful of only having 1 hehe

I found out last week I was RH negative too.

I have to have one jab at 28 weeks and then MW said they would see if i needed another one before the baby arrived. She never said I would definitely get two jabs, which contradicts everything I've read!

In my area, when there was two jabs during the antenatal period women would have a blood test to see if they needed a second. Often the lab would say they are still fine with the first lower dose and therefore didn't need it cause they were covered. This resulted in a change to a single higher dose in certain areas meaning women would be covered. Also, once baby's cord blood is return post delivery you may have another. :)

I found out I am Rhesus negative yesterday and my midwife told me that I will only get one injection, she gave me a leaflet and she said that it might tell me that I will have two which makes me think they have recently changed it! I think you only get one at 28 weeks now:shrug:

yes its fine you will have one at 28weeks and after birth if baby is +

also if you have any knocks or bleeding you need to go get it x

you will have one at 28 weeks and they can sometimes give u another at 32 weeks.

also u will have one if u experience any bleeding also u will have one after lo is born if lo is a pos not neg.

i had 3 anti d injections in total

the one at 34 weeks they dont give it anymore its not needed anymore

i just had one at 28 weeks and after birth

To those who've had it already: what kind of injection is it?

I mean is it just under the skin, into the muscle, into a vein?

I've known all my life I was B- but I actually know almost nothing about the anti-d injections!

Intramuscular usually in the arm, some trusts will put it in the bum or thigh.

My doctor says I will be having 3, one at 28 weeeks and one at 34 weeks and one within 72 hours after the baby is born? :shrug: The best way to see what is the right thing to do is check the National Institute of Clinical Excellence guidelines (NICE)

Thanks for this post :)

I don't feel so alone now! I found out I am R- the other day & didn't have a clue what it meant! I was going to ask midwife at next appointment but I think all my questions have been answered :) I feel much more at ease now knowing it's not that uncommon.

Joanne xx

being r- doesnt mean anything until u get pregnant then it can cause alsort of problems

eg if u have a bleed there is a small chance if the baby is + that ur blood cells will attack the baby and can cause a miscarriage and after uve had a baby due to bleeding again if ur lo is + then ur blood cells could attack ur uterus.
theres a slim chance from what ive heard this would happen but theres still a chance so its best to be safe then sorry

I'm having mine at 28 weeks and then another at 34 weeks. If baby has pos blood when born i will get another. I didnt need one after birth with my first as she is the same blood group as me.

I suppose everywhere is different as to when you have it.

i am AB-, so the chances of my baby having the same blood group as me is very slim. so i'll more than likely get injected. i'll find out on friday in any case i think.

abz xx

i am AB-, so the chances of my baby having the same blood group as me is very slim. so i'll more than likely get injected. i'll find out on friday in any case i think.

abz xx

Yes AB- is rare, but it isn't the blood group that is important. It is the Rhesus status i.e. negative or positive. That chances of your baby being negative isn't slim at all. Is the FOB a -ve or +ve :)

Thanks everyone for your replies, it sounds like quite a recent change from 2 to 1 injection, which has put my mind at rest. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->