Anti depressants and Breastfeeding

1nceUponATime

Reaction score
Are there any safe anti depressants for breastfeeding ?? Anyone have experience with this? I have an appointment on Monday and I guess if they say I'll have to stop nursing I will keep nursing. Just hoping someone out there has taken something and was able to continue breastfeeding .

Most medications are compatible with breastfeeding, much more so than pregnancy. I believe Zoloft is the first the go to for breastfeeding and pregnancy.

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm

That is a good resource for finding out how things are compatible with breastfeeding.

Zoloft (generic: Sertraline) is for sure. I took it while BF-ing (when she was 7-8 months old; I should have started sooner but I kept waiting to see if I would feel better on my own) - best decision I ever made. I'm not longer on it (and still nursing an almost two year old) but if I ever felt like my anxiety was becoming unmanageable again, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again.

Zoloft/Sertraline is the preferred antidepressant while breastfeeding. I've been on it the entire time while breastfeeding. I did manage a short spell without it but it was horrific. I'm so much better on it.

Thanks guys. Blingygal I feel the same. My DD is 8 months and I have tried everything to feel better, and if anything I keep feeling worse. I waited so long thinking this was normal and was going to get better as she got older. I hope my general practitioner will help me instead of referring me out and it taking a while to get to someone who can help me.

Also I just wanted to add to clear up my original post like if they said choose breast feeding or medication I would choose breast feeding, not like I would nurse if it was unsafe to do so lol...

Thanks guys. Blingygal I feel the same. My DD is 8 months and I have tried everything to feel better, and if anything I keep feeling worse. I waited so long thinking this was normal and was going to get better as she got older. I hope my general practitioner will help me instead of referring me out and it taking a while to get to someone who can help me.

Also I just wanted to add to clear up my original post like if they said choose breast feeding or medication I would choose breast feeding, not like I would nurse if it was unsafe to do so lol...

I am on Zoloft as well, during pregnancy, so I was definitely worried. I thought I would start to feel better, as I've never been so depressed before it was so unusual for me. I thought it would get better, it was situational, etc. Well it didn't. I got on Zoloft and I'm doing better.

You're definitely not alone. For me, once my anxiety reaches a certain level, it takes on a life of its own and escalates out of my control. When that happens, I need the help of Zoloft to get it under control again. I stopped taking it in December and I'm still doing really well without it. My work is really stressful and there's lots of uncertainty but I'm coping 'normally'. I can sleep, eat and enjoy everyday things. Just wanted to tell you that so you know that you won't necessarily be on it forever (there's also nothing wrong with taking it for the rest of your life either). Sometimes people hesitate starting anti-depressants because they think they'll have to take it forever.

And, if Zoloft doesn't work for you and you need an anti-depressant that isn't compatible with nursing, it's okay to stop nursing. Your mental health is the most important thing and having good mental health is THE healthiest thing you can give to your little one. :)

I got prescribed Zoloft today 50mg to start out and hopefully it helps and that's all I need.

Did anyone experience any side effects I should be aware of ?

I got prescribed Zoloft today 50mg to start out and hopefully it helps and that's all I need.

Awakeness. Dr told me to take it before bed in case it made me drowsy, but it had the opposite effect, kept me awake almost all night. I switched to taking it with breakfast and had no problems.

I had diarrhea for the first week to 10 days. Not bad, just looser and frequent, can't hurt when you are pregnant.

Awakeness. Dr told me to take it before bed in case it made me drowsy, but it had the opposite effect, kept me awake almost all night. I switched to taking it with breakfast and had no problems.

I had diarrhea for the first week to 10 days. Not bad, just looser and frequent, can't hurt when you are pregnant.

Too funny! It makes me drowsy so I take it at bedtime. Just make sure you remain upright for 30 minutes or so before laying down. It gives me horrific (!!!) heartburn/acid reflux if I lay down too quickly.

And yes to the loose stool for the first bit. And I get a little bit more thristy/dry mouth but then again that's symptom of anxiety for me too. Personally, the side effects of going on and off Zoloft have been pretty minor and tolerable for me.

If you're starting out at 50mg (instead of building from 25mg to 50mg), your side effects might be more noticeable. My doctor always has me build from 25mg for about a week or two, then move to 50mg.

Too funny! It makes me drowsy so I take it at bedtime. Just make sure you remain upright for 30 minutes or so before laying down. It gives me horrific (!!!) heartburn/acid reflux if I lay down too quickly.

And yes to the loose stool for the first bit. And I get a little bit more thristy/dry mouth but then again that's symptom of anxiety for me too. Personally, the side effects of going on and off Zoloft have been pretty minor and tolerable for me.

If you're starting out at 50mg (instead of building from 25mg to 50mg), your side effects might be more noticeable. My doctor always has me build from 25mg for about a week or two, then move to 50mg.

I started at 50mg. And yes to the dry mouth as well but that is a very common medication side effect so I didn't really notice/it didn't bother me.

I also remember a few headaches, but nothing major, could have been the disrupted sleep.

I was also slightly nauseated and did not have much appetite, but that also went away after a day or two. This only happened after switching to daytime.

Sertraline never did anything for me pre-pregnancy. I was told to choose meds or breastfeeding.

Sertraline never did anything for me pre-pregnancy. I was told to choose meds or breastfeeding.

If a doctor told me this, I'd see a different doctor. It's simply not true that you need to quit breastfeeding for almost all medications.

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/med-risks/

I probably should have done, and maybe I'd be in a better place now.
To be honest, though, it was probably because I required very high doses of two differrent antidepressants to keep my depression in check before pregnancy. Looking back, I often wonder if bottle-feeding and antidepressants wouldn't have been the wiser option for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->