anti depressants whilst pregnant?

purple_rain

Reaction score
Is anyone currently taking anti dperessants whilst pregnant?

I've been on citalopram for around 10 years now, stopped with my 1st pregnancy and with the excitement i felt fine until she was 5 months, then went back on them. I've come off them again now i'm pregnant with my 2nd but i'm struggling to deal with my 2 year old whos seems to have the terrible 2's and my raging hormones.

I'm feeling so low and upset, i'm close to packing a bag and presuming my hubby and daughter would be better off without me.

The midwife has always said to see the doctor straight away if i'm feeling low as they compare the risks but i'd never forgive myself if i went back on tablets and baby had any complications.

You really should go to the doctors they won't necessarily put you back on the meds they could do or they could put you on something else or just have more regular appointments where you can disscuss how you feel but they never do anything without first weighing up the pros and cons. X

I only recently have gotten help for my mood disorder, after the birth of my son I was a mess, diagnosed with PPD and after some further investigation by a counselor things started to click and make sense with my history and past problems. As a result I was placed on sertraline (zoloft) for it. I did really well with it and felt normal for the first time in my life.

Then I got pregnant with baby number two. Personally I did not (still don't) feel comfortable with taking any anti-depressant while pregnant. My doctor agreed with me but wants me closely monitored during the pregnancy. I've noticed a drastic change in myself and I've become the old me again. I suffer from a mild form of bi-polar and experience intense periods of sadness, happiness and rage. I've been working with a counselor to help me through the symptoms and we have made some progress with non-pharmacologic means but I'm still having issues.

It's really up to you and how you feel. I would definitely talk to your doctor and discuss what options are open to you in a non-medicine route.

went to the docs this morning, he's signed me off work for 2 works but said he didn't want me going on anti-depressants due to the complications that could happen which i agree with and just needed someone to confirm it.

He's also give me a list of counselling services so i could try them, have had counselling before for other issues.

Going to get out and about while off work, walk the dog more, get some exercise, which should help.

i was on sertaline i was told to come off them esp for 1st 12 weeks then see how i feel.

dr said if my mental health will be more determental to the baby then risk of anti depressents to start taking them again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->