Antibiotics while TTC

aflight84

Mummy to a princess x
Reaction score
I had to go to my local walk in centre last night as i found a lump and wanted it checked out - DR has given me antibiotics but i'm not sure i feel comfortable taking them - i explained i'm on Clomid and am ttc and currently in tww so had to see someone else to get the prescription had to go home and come back for an appointment as the wait was so long so went back at 8.40 last night - finally at 9.45 i walked out with a prescription and i'm not sure i'm happy to take it. I've checked it out with the medical department at work and it's not 100% safe in pregnancy and especially not in the first 3 months - what should i do?

that is very very tricky. i was on strong antibiotics with my first pregnancy and that didnt go well.. but that cud have been caused by my condition..

i wouldnt take them but if you really need them badly maybe u should talk it over with a dr make him see sence

I think it depends on what the lump is hon. If it's an abscess it can get a lot worse if untreated, and the last thing you'd want is your own body poisoning you during pregnancy (if the infection reaches your blood). An untreated infection can also get really bad over a period of 9 months.

If you don't already know, find out exactly what the lump is and why it needs treating. If it seems minor and is likely to go away on it's own, wait that extra week and a half to see if you'd be save taking it. If it's something that really needs treating, treat it. An unhealthy mother wouldn't be any good during pregnancy either.

it's like a boil/infected hair folicle.

what have they precribed? Penicilin is the safest in early pregnancy. How long do they want u to take it for? The reason i ask this is depending on how many DPO u are, then u could work out that the LO will not implant for so many days. I also heard that anything u drink or take does not get to the LO till ur about 5 weeks. XXX

Depending on how big it is now, I'd wait for a bit to see if you get a BFP or not.
Then again, I've had an infected hair follicle get out of hand quickly. I refused to go see a GP about it until I couldn't get up anymore (lower spine area) and was crying out in pain. Ended up in hospital, scheduled for surgery when the now abscess finally burst on it's own and I discharged myself (no trust in the hospitals around here). I've since been told that if it had gotten just that little bit worse I would probably have gone paralysed from the waist down. By then the abscess was about 1" across.

The advice a lovely Indian lady gave me when I went through this was to take salt baths twice a day. It pulls the puss towards the surface and gives it a head/helps it break through the skin. 2 Days of doing this (probably because of the combined antibiotics I was on) did the trick for me, so might be worth giving a try?

It never healed properly btw, so I still have to take salt baths about twice a month when it returns. And it's never failed me =D

Whatever you decide, I hope it gets better soon. And please, don't let it get out of hand like I did.

I've been prescribed flucloxacillion 250mg 4 times a day.
it's no bigger than a 5 p piece.
i've left a message for a dr at my surgery to call and confirm what i should do as i'm concerned hopefully i'll get a proper answer out of them soon

I think personally i would take them as i know that these things can get really bad and its better to sort it out now than when its more of a threat. If the course is not too long it shouldnt cause too many issues but i dont know a massive amount about antibiotics but i found this info on the net for you:

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.

There are no known harmful effects when this medicine is used during pregnancy, however, as with all medicines it should be used with caution during pregnancy and only if the expected benefits outweigh any potential risk. Seek further medical advice from your doctor.

This medicine passes into breast milk in small amounts that are unlikely to be harmful to the nursing infant. However, as with all medicines it should be used with caution in breastfeeding mothers, and only if the expected benefit outweighs any possible risk. Seek further medical advice from your doctor.

I think given this info i would probably take it as the condition was severe enough for you to seek medical advice.

Hope that helps

Amslou

i've just spoken to a dr at my surgery and she's given me the all clear and said it was best to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->