Antibiotics

suze12

Reaction score
I went to the Dr today as been feeling really poorly. I've got sinusitis and bronchitis. I've been prescribed clarithromycin which is an antibiotic. Having stupidly read up on it on google it has a risk of miscarriage. The leaflet inside says that the Dr will weigh up the risks of taking it. I've taken one and am now so scared. Not sure whether to carry on taking them? It's 1 every 12 hours. What would you girls do? Thanks xxxx

I'm so sorry that you are sick. How miserable. :sad1:

I'm sure your Doc has given you the lowest but still effective dose to get rid of the infection you have. I had to go on antibiotics for a severe throat infection at 5 weeks, and I'm still doing fine. Letting that infection stick around would probably cause more problems than the antibiotic. If you are concerned, go back to your Doc for more information or at least call in to ask a nurse for advice.

Keep posting on how you are doing. I hope you feel better soon.

Although I don't know a lot about the medication he put you on it is classified as a "C" drug which is a riskier category to be in. Could you ask if there is an alternative "B" antibiotic that will get the job done while safer for baby. I'm of the belief that it never hurts to ask :)

When i was pregnant i had a uti which i get quite often so had clarithromycin in the house but was told by my gp not to take and gave me amoxicillin. Maybe see if you can get an alternative x

Thanks, I'm going to give the Dr a call this morning, hopefully can get an alternative. Xxx

Spoke to my dr and she said nothing flags up on their system that you can't use it, she said she understands though why I'm worried and has prescribed me euthromycin instead. The original one is apparently a young drug and so there's no actual evidence that it's safe. She turn rang me back again and said she has now found that pregnant women shouldn't be given it and she will flag it up with her colleuges. She said taking 1 won't have done any harm!!!!

Yikes! Goes to show you it's always good to be aware of what you're taking and question it if you feel otherwise. Hope you are on a safer drug now and feel better very soon! Being pregnant and sick are always a lousy combo:hugs:

Thank you, yes scary really as if I hadn't had googled it and just took them, who knows! Hopefully the one k did take won't have any affect.
The Dr was so apologetic but still, there's something to be said for looking it up yourself! I'm now on one thag she described as 'old' and one thAt they always give yo pregnant women. XXXX

Oh, Suze, that's terrifying! Good on you for doing research and getting answers. I probably would've just gone along with it! I'm for sure going to pay more attention in the future.

I hope you're at least feeling better now! Are your sinuses and lungs clearing up?

Suzanne that's unbelievable! What a careless error to make on your doctors part! ! So glad you questioned it and also for other mums to be in the future too !! I'm sure the 1 won't do any harm.at all .... antibiotics need to be taken regularly to build up and take effect xxxx how are you feeling now ? Hugs xxxx

Thanks girls, weirdly I feel worse today, but hoping that's the antibiotics working. I'm so glad I didn't just take them like I originally was going to do. The Dr said on the phone yesterday that I should be feeling better by Monday so fingers crossed. XXXX

Wow! That is crazy scary. Thankgoodness you looked into it. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->