Anxiety in pregnancy?

sw20

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has struggled with anxiety in pregnancy before and if so ways you dealt with it? I'm 19 weeks tomorrow, just starting to feel movements and everything so far looks good. Previous to this pregnancy I have lost 8 babies through miscarriage, I thought I would feel over the moon to be pregnant and don't get me wrong I feel so so blessed to have gotten this far and all be well but I find myself panicking and working myself up at every little thing, no appointments are enjoyable as I'm on pins and bracing myself for bad news. I ended up in EPU today and the midwife there I have seen with probably 4/5 of my losses and she's putting me forward for a 'case midwife' so literally somebody I can rely on to text, call whenever I start to feel anxious and somebody who will do all my appointments and see me through my delivery and aftercare. I just can't help but feel guilty I'm not enjoying this whole experience more and would love to hear if any of you have suffered with anything similar?

I can absolutely relate.

Although I've had no loses, I was told I couldn't get pregnant at a young age because of my uterus. Now that I'm pregnant, I' considered high risk-so I'm being monitored more closely. So far everything is fine (I'm 23 weeks 1 day), but I can't help but be stressed.

I was in and out of the emergency room weekly my first trimester...they were starting to recognize me!

I was also taken off of my anxiety meds once they found out I was pregnant, which I'm sure isn't helping.

So no, you're not alone. Hang in there!

Thankfully i've never suffered any losses, but have always suffered from anxiety and since this is my first child I have no clue what to expect which = anxiety! What i did when i was 9 weeks was buy a fetal doppler. It was $15 from eBay and SUCH a great investment. I literally use it every single day and it puts my mind at ease. Hearing the little heartbeat really is soothing and i definitely recommend everyone get one. Something else I do, which might not be everyone's cup of tea, is I take my dog to the dog park. She loves it and it really helps me forget about daily stresses by being outside and playing with puppies. :happydance: Sounds silly but it really does help! Every time OH and i argue, or i'm stressed out about school or work I go to the dog park for about an hour and it really helps.
You just have to find something you like that will take your mind off of it. 9 months is a LONG time so you have to find healthy ways of coping with the anxiety/uncertainties. Good luck! :kiss:

I had two early losses and finally have seen a heartbeat with this one! That was so reassuring, but that anxiety is still there and it still rears it's ugly head sometimes. I find myself trying to stay positive and reminding myself that at least today, I'm pregnant. Despite the fact that the doctors say everything should be fine, and there's such a small chance of any problems...you just have to accept that it will be there and acknowledge it. I find myself being positive a lot, and the moments of anxiety getting fewer, but I know they will probably keep popping up throughout. Being on BnB has helped a lot, as a member of the PAL thread, a lot of those ladies have gotten their BFPs and thus we are experiencing the same issues and anxieties. The doppler is a great idea! I'm afraid I won't be able to figure it out and then I'll stress about that :haha: I'm looking forward to being able to feel movement and counting kicks!

Your anxiety sounds entirely natural after eight losses. I'm very sorry for What you have been through.

You can only try to be positive without giving yourself a hard time if you aren't. Have you got as far into pregnancy before? If not, try to see that as a positive. Just take it a day at a time and try to accept that it would be very unusual not to worry after so much previous heartache.

Take care of yourself and your little one. I am 19 weeks this week and we haven't got that long to go! Xx

And sorry, I meant to say that I also have struggled with anxiety for many years and the main thing that helped me was acceptance. Just telling myself, yes, I feel like this, but it's just a feeling. I let myself feel the anxiety but just accepted it and didn't try to make it go. Trying to make it go makes it worse.

Hi hon, first I want to say sorry for struggle with the miscarriages. I can't begin to imagine the mental pain from that:hugs: I do however feel your pain with the anxiety. My anxiety has been TERRIBLE while pregnant.

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and bipolar 1. It has been extremely hard on me this pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy and I am 24, almost 25 weeks pregnant and I can't begin to express how bad my anxiety is every single day. I freak out over the "smallest" things, and think they are all big problems. I mentally wares you out and you feel like you can't escape it. I freak out over every symptom and question everything. In my first trimester I had spotting, and now EVERY time I go to the bathroom I am looking at the toilet and the toilet paper to make sure I see no pink or red. If I see the smallest pink spot I start breaking down and freaking out.

I wish I could say that anxiety while pregnant goes away, but quite honestly I don't think it does. I think a certain part of the anxiety fades as you get closer to your due date, but then a new set of anxiety stressors start. The best thing we can do is try to maintain a positive attitude that everything will be fine and that our nerves are getting the best of us.

I wanted to say i am so sorry for your losses and that after having a loss, anxiety about current pregnancy is normal. i had one loss and this time round everything has been going so well- even though i had one hospital stay- my baby is absolutely fine and healthy.

Just remember that every pregnancy is different and this one will stick and everything will be lovely!
i found it helpful to have milestones, that helped my pregnancy goes in faster. My 12 and 20 week scans were milestones, as was reaching the end of each trimester.
Now i try to have weekly milestones because i am just fed- up haha- but yeah i found that helped me worry less x

I have massive anxiety, and can completely relate. I actually started zoloft recently, and it took away most of my anxiety. It helps with PTSD and general anxiety, as will as panic attacks.

Firstly hugs :hugs:

I can relate. I have suffered with Generalized anxiety disorder and on/off depression since I was a child (now 28)
This is our second baby but we had a loss in April at 6weeks. I spend every moment of pregnancy SCARED!!
Scared we will lose this baby,
Scared how i will cope with 2kids
Scared about how i barely cope with anything some days and could fall into a black hole.

I am on medication still. Im on the smallest dose and tbh it's really no good, what with dropping meds and raging hormones I can completely understand how your feeling. Every time I use the bathroom I panic i will find blood.

I will say that from my first I can say they do give you as much emotional support as possible. My midwife was great and then i had a health visitor come round every other week for 12weeks (they only normally come twice after baby born)
Try to remember your not alone and seek comfort from family where possible. It helps a lot since knowing my condition and has given family that help as they can look up the condition also.

Talk to your midwife and gp and they will help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->