Anxiety/intrusive thoughts only when breastfeeding?

jessmke

Reaction score
I didn't have this with my daughter, but when I breastfeed my son in the dark in his room I always get intrusive thoughts, mostly about something happening to my kids but sometimes something happening to myself or husband. I used to get intrusive thoughts when I was younger but I haven't had them in years. I always found ways to distract myself from them, and the thoughts never caused an issue in my day to day life. Although they aren't pleasant, I wouldn't say they are causing much issue now as I am able to recognize what they are and can focus in distracting myself or concentrating on other things, but I think it is so weird they only happen when I am nursing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is this the only time that you have a quiet moment? If you sat in a dark room with no stimulus and weren't nursing do you think you might get intrusive thoughts then too?

Is this the only time that you have a quiet moment? If you sat in a dark room with no stimulus and weren't nursing do you think you might get intrusive thoughts then too?

It's only when breastfeeding. Sometimes baby wakes and I just rock him back to sleep in the dark and I don't get the thoughts, it's only when he's on the boob.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphoric_milk_ejection_reflex

Look up DMER - it is a legit disorder that can cause breastfeeding women to have negative thoughts whilst breastfeeding. Maybe being in a dark room makes it harder for you to reconcile these thoughts.

That's so interesting, thanks for the info! I'm going to look into this further, although it doesn't appear there is really anything that can be done about it except to learn coping mechanisms. I always bring my phone into his room with me when I nurse him at night so I can use it to distract myself if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->