Any advice on defaults on credit reports??

babz1986

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my credit report.

Basically me and OH have been trying to get a mortgage and on the 16th December, I get a phone call saying that they can't carry on with the application due to adverse credit on my report. I haven't got a clue what it was (well I didn't) so went on to experian to find a Default on my report from 2008 from Laredoute catalogue for a balance of £69!

I thought I'd paid my last payment in Jan 09 and I stopped receiving statements, etc, and closed my account. Until I received a letter from a debt collection agency in Sept 09. Which I paid.

I've rang Laredoute - who say they don't have copies of my statements cos the account is so old and was closed. but they have records that I made my last payment in Jan 09 but had an outstanding balance of £40. Obviously I didn't pay them as I thought my account was closed and I thought I'd paid the last payment. Even though they say they tried to contact me during the period after.

Now in the sept 09 I had a letter from a debt collector, demanding £69.. (the outstanding balance, plus late fees) I paid the £69 on 09/09/2009 and have a confirmation email of the payment to prove it. now on my credit report the default wasn't added until.. 22/11/2009 - nearly 2.5 months after I'd paid!

Now obviously I would of bloody paid the £40 outstanding balance to begin with if they carried on sending me statements, but they didn't! It was only £40!! lol.. and I managed to pay the £69 all right in Sept 09. I also had no letters to say my account was going into default.

I've tried contacting them to ask them to remove it.. and they said they can but they won't even though the account was settled.

Can anybody offer any advice on who or what I can do to try and get it removed as things just don't add up? and obviously with it stopping me getting a mortgage its rather annoying!

HAve you shown the copy of the credit report to the mortgage company? Sometimes they can appeal decsions through the underwriters?
if it's defaulted and now the accounts closed they cant default you again, so usually as long as the default is a year old mortgage compaines will accept you. I dont think you will be able to get it removed as technically it did default.
It's not much consolation, but it will go after 6 years xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->