Any Bostonians starting IVF?

You know, that's what my fertility doc friend said as well. I'm hoping they do one next time I go in. Sorry to hear that your follicle count was low, but I guess the main thing is that your doctor seemed OK about it. That's exciting about IUI coming up soon! Fingers crossed.

Thanks re: shoes -- I figure, whatever it takes to get us through this process with our sanity intact!

Sept- I'm surprised they didn't do an antral follicle count on you yet. That was part of my initial testing after my first consult with my fertility doctor at Brigham. They did an ultrasound including the antral follicle count, an hsg, and took about 20 viles of my blood. Anyway, my antral follicle count was pretty bad. I had four on each side which, based on what I've read, is unusually low for someone in their early-mid thirties. My doctor didn't seem overly concerned though. I am excited for my appointment later this week. Hopefully I will also have my iui within the next couple of days. I am cd 16 today and got a negative opk this morning but plan on testing again when I get home from work today.

btw, loved your shoe comment!

sept - I noticed in your signature line that you went down on the clomid from 50mg to 100mg, were you having issues on the 100mg? That's what i've been on with these iuis.

Hi,

I did have a pretty hard time with the side effects on 100 -- I was emotional and had hot flashes. It wasn't all that bad really, but my ob/gyn said that she didn't feel strongly about me being on 100 or on 50, so I chose to drop down. Are you feeling alright with it so far?

sept - I noticed in your signature line that you went down on the clomid from 50mg to 100mg, were you having issues on the 100mg? That's what i've been on with these iuis.

sept - yes, I'm doing fine on 100mg. This is my third cycle on 100mg and I haven't really noticed any side effects except perhaps being a little more emotional than usual. On a related note, cd 17 and negative ovulation test again! Hopefully I'll have my iui by the end of the week because I prefer having it done at Newton-Wellesley and you have to go to Brigham if it falls on a weekend.

We have been TTC for 2 years now. After a year I went to my OB and she started some of the testing and found there was an issue with my uterus. After a few rounds of "we think it is this or that" we finally learned I had a large polyp at the very top of my uterus (made it look arcuate shaped at first). I had surgery in March so everything looks ship-shape now! My FSH level was also very high and they found I have a thyroid issue as well... our likelihood to conceive naturally was given about a 1% chance and our chance with IVF about 45-50% so it was a no brainer to move straight into our first treatment as soon as possible. Its been a very long road with lots of twists and turns, I feel blessed to be at this stage!

How are you handling the stress of TTC?

Candi - It's good that you are finding distractions and your embryos sound promising. How long have you been ttc?

Notoptimistic, that's good that you feel alright on the 100. When I was taking it, I was o'ing far later than I do naturally, I think cd 18/19, so hopefully you'll get your +opk very soon.

Candi, congrats on getting the uterus issue worked out. That must be a huge relief. Here's hoping everything works out on your first IVF attempt.

As for handling the stress, I've been trying to increase my workouts and get enough sleep, and I'm taking a bunch of supplements (omega 3s, CoQ10, wheatgrass, super yuck!), and as I mentioned earlier, I'm letting myself do a little more shoe shopping than usual. :) My husband is sympathetic and very sweet, but he doesn't feel the ups and downs of the process as much as I do, so I find it helpful to talk to my girlfriends, too. Do you ladies have strategies for handling the stress?

We have been TTC for 2 years now. After a year I went to my OB and she started some of the testing and found there was an issue with my uterus. After a few rounds of "we think it is this or that" we finally learned I had a large polyp at the very top of my uterus (made it look arcuate shaped at first). I had surgery in March so everything looks ship-shape now! My FSH level was also very high and they found I have a thyroid issue as well... our likelihood to conceive naturally was given about a 1% chance and our chance with IVF about 45-50% so it was a no brainer to move straight into our first treatment as soon as possible. Its been a very long road with lots of twists and turns, I feel blessed to be at this stage!

How are you handling the stress of TTC?

Candi - It's good that you are finding distractions and your embryos sound promising. How long have you been ttc?

Candi - It's good that they eventually figured out the problem with your uterus and resolved that issue. Two years is a long time ttc. That's about as long as I've been trying. I started trying in July 2010. I got pregnant first cycle in July 2010, miscarried that one and had a d&C in September 2010. It was an xxy so it would have never been viable and I never saw a good heartbeat. I then waiting one cycle and tried again and again got pregnant right away. That one I thought was a keeper because I went in at 7.5 weeks and the baby had a strong heartbeat. When I went back four weeks later for an ultrasound the heartbeat was gone. I was devastated. I had to have another d&C. They analyzed the tissue for that one too and couldn't find any abnormalities. That was a very rough time period for me because my great uncle died around that time and my mother died a few weeks after that miscarriage. Since that last miscarriage in January 2011, for whatever reason, I can't seem to get pregnant again. All the tests came back normal.

septbride - I just got my +opk last night (cd 17) and so I am going in tomorrow morning (cd 19)for the iui, well...actually..not until noon. They have a lot of iui's scheduled for tomorrow so I couldn't get in any earlier. I'm hoping it isn't too late. By the way, I hereby take back my previous statements about no side effects on the clomid. I'm not positive this is a side effect but I've been so weepy today ..on the verge of crying ..which is tough because I am at work ..I also feel very run down. Maybe I just need more sleep.

My strategy for stress relief? I wish I had one. It takes me up to an hour and a half to drive home from work everyday and the last thing I feel like doing is going for a walk/exercising although I'm sure that might help with my stress a little. Talking to my husband and friends definitely helps. Hearing everyone announce their first or second pregnancies doesn't help!

It sounds like you have had so much to deal with in the last two years, I am sure it doesn't help the stress of TTC. I too find it very difficult to see what seems to be the never-ending-stream of people announcing their baby that's on the way. It's especially painful when it was an accidental pregnancy and those people say "It's so easy to get pregnant!" UGH! I ran into an old High School friend at a wedding and she said that to me and I nearly burst into tears. A friend who had gone through IVF warned me that some trashy/ill-fit celebrity would get pregnant and it would totally throw me over the edge- for her it had been Jamie Lynn Spears. I didn't think too much of that until they announced Snooki's pregnancy. I had an absolute breakdown! :growlmad:

It's hard to do and somedays it doesn't suffice but my mantra in these situations has been "her getting pregnant has nothing to do with me not getting pregnant."

I too commute for over an hour and half each day and also find it difficult to get to the gym but it does help. Some weeks I go, some weeks I don't. I like to go when I am super pissed off- I always burn extra calories on those days :winkwink:

Candi - It's good that they eventually figured out the problem with your uterus and resolved that issue. Two years is a long time ttc. That's about as long as I've been trying. I started trying in July 2010. I got pregnant first cycle in July 2010, miscarried that one and had a d&C in September 2010. It was an xxy so it would have never been viable and I never saw a good heartbeat. I then waiting one cycle and tried again and again got pregnant right away. That one I thought was a keeper because I went in at 7.5 weeks and the baby had a strong heartbeat. When I went back four weeks later for an ultrasound the heartbeat was gone. I was devastated. I had to have another d&C. They analyzed the tissue for that one too and couldn't find any abnormalities. That was a very rough time period for me because my great uncle died around that time and my mother died a few weeks after that miscarriage. Since that last miscarriage in January 2011, for whatever reason, I can't seem to get pregnant again. All the tests came back normal.

septbride - I just got my +opk last night (cd 17) and so I am going in tomorrow morning (cd 19)for the iui, well...actually..not until noon. They have a lot of iui's scheduled for tomorrow so I couldn't get in any earlier. I'm hoping it isn't too late. By the way, I hereby take back my previous statements about no side effects on the clomid. I'm not positive this is a side effect but I've been so weepy today ..on the verge of crying ..which is tough because I am at work ..I also feel very run down. Maybe I just need more sleep.

My strategy for stress relief? I wish I had one. It takes me up to an hour and a half to drive home from work everyday and the last thing I feel like doing is going for a walk/exercising although I'm sure that might help with my stress a little. Talking to my husband and friends definitely helps. Hearing everyone announce their first or second pregnancies doesn't help!

Notoptimistic, that sounds like a long, tough road you've been on. I'm so sorry about your mom and great uncle, and about having to deal with the miscarriages. I hope it helps that you're now going through the process of IUI/possibly IVF...it helps me to know that we're getting the show on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if you're feeling weepy because of the Clomid :( It's really hard plodding through this stuff each day. Can you treat yourself to something special today?

I completely relate with what both of you said about other people announcing their pregnancies. I cried when I heard about Snooki. I threw my phone across the room when I got a text from a friend saying she was pregnant the first month they tried. I'm going to a good friend's baby shower on Saturday and hope I don't cry or throw things :). It's just hard to watch, and I don't think people understand if they haven't gone through it. Candi, I like your mantra...I might try it out this weekend when I'm surrounded by baby bellies.

Can I ask what you're both doing about caffeine? I'm still drinking one pretty big coffee every morning but I'm wondering if I should cut it out.

Notoptimistic, good luck with your IUI and keep us posted!

Hi ladies - I was also a bit annoyed over Snooki's pregnancy! Just keep in mind that there are a lot of celebrities out there that have had fertility issues. I found this article not too long ago that discusses different celebrities and their struggles. Hope the link works!

I also broke out in tears when I found out recently that one of my closest friends is pregnant and they had only been trying a couple of months.

My iui went ok today although it took them a while to get the catheter in and they had to keep repositioning the speculum. It was a bit uncomfortable. The first nurse couldn't even do it so she had to bring in someone else. The procedure was done at Newton Wellesley as was my first iui. My second iui was at Brigham. For some reason they have had trouble doing it only at Newton Wellesley. When I went to Brigham last time they got it in right away and it was quick and painless. Anyway, tomorrow morning I have my doctor's appointment to see what the next steps will be if this iui fails. I'll let you know how that goes.

septbride - I usually try to stop drinking coffee around the time of ovulation until I get my period, although sometimes I do sneak in a cup. It's supposedly ok to drink one or two cups a day. I know people who drink coffee throughout their pregnancies and have no issues. I also try to cut down on my sushi intake but I still eat it. As my sister-in-law says, as long as you don't know that your pregnant it's ok. :)

I still have my morning cup of coffee and try to leave it at that. I used to on occasion have an early afternoon cup at work to keep me going but I try to only do that if I skipped my morning cup....every now and then I just can't help myself though :) I don't consume anything else with caffeine (no soda, tea, chocolate, etc) so I figure a 2 cup day every now and again can't do much!

notoptimistic- so sorry to hear they had such a hard time with your IUI... it's awkward enough without the multiple attempts! Please keep us posted on how it works out and what your doctor says about future treatments.

I have gotten a few sharp crampy feelings today. I'm worried it could be my period coming and hopeful it could be implantation...such a mixture of feelings. I've been super emotional all day today, it's hard to tell what feelings are just me and what feelings are from the progesterone and estrogen they have me on.

It will all be worth it in the end, for all of us! Hang in there ladies!!

Candi - hope your period stays away!!!!

Today I met with my doctor to go over options for next cycle in case this one didn't work. He went through all the options, describing the research, pros and cons, and then he recommended that we go right to ivf. So, that's what we will do if I am not pregnant this cycle. We will aim to start the ivf next cycle, provided the insurance company cooperates and gives authorization on time. Should receive the protocol sometime within the next week or so.

Notoptimistic- That is excellent news! I truly hope you are pregnant this round but if not, IVF is a great step. Let's both pray for no periods this month!
:dust:

Great news, notoptimistic! As Candi said, I hope the IUI has worked but if not, here's to IVF!

Hope you both had a good weekend -- I threw a baby shower for a friend and had an uninvited guest show up mid-shower...AF! Extra glad we have an IVF plan underway, and hoping I can get an antral follicle count done this week...

I'm praying. :) Hope you made it through the weekend AF-free!

Nothing too exciting for me this weekend. Was sick all weekend - a low-grade fever and achy feeling Thursday night turned into a full blown cold which I still have today!

Sept- What does your schedule look like for ivf? I am excited to receive my "protocol" in the mail soon.

Oh no, summer colds are the worst. Hope you're feeling a bit better today!

We have an appointment on Friday, so I'm hoping we'll talk timeline then. Do you know your schedule, or does that come with the protocol? It would be nice if we were on a similar schedule.

Regarding my low AMH levels, I called over to see if I could get a CD3 ultrasound for an antral follicle count...so I have that tomorrow morning. I'm really nervous that they won't find many follicles; praying for a good outcome!

Nothing too exciting for me this weekend. Was sick all weekend - a low-grade fever and achy feeling Thursday night turned into a full blown cold which I still have today!

Sept- What does your schedule look like for ivf? I am excited to receive my "protocol" in the mail soon.

Sept- I wish you luck with your follicle count!

I did not get AF yet. . . and I just POAS. . . the second like is BARELY there. I mean, I didn't think it was there at all until I picked it up and looked extremely closely. I've heard of false positives so with a line like that I am just going to repeat in the morning and then wait for the blood test on Friday. It seems like every step of this process gets more and more painful to endure. *sigh

NotOpt- I hope you feel better! Summer colds are definitely not fun!

septbride - Good luck with the AFC this morning. I think a timeline will come with the protocol but I am not positive. When we met with my doctor on Friday he did provide a general timeline even though he hadn't determined yet what protocol he would actually put me on. Based on his timeline (provided authorisation from my insurance company goes through on time), I'd be starting some type of drugs (possibly birth control) 3 weeks after my period comes. That will be sometime in July.

Candi - I hope that line was darker this morning! You could always buy a digital pregnancy test to take out the subjectivity.

Candi, that's so exciting! Hope that second line gets darker!

Notopt, also good news that you're almost ready to get started.

I've had more bad news -- they only saw two follicles during this morning's ultrasound. I have to wait until Friday to see the doctor, but I'm not sure I'll be able to try IVF after all, or if I do, my guess is they'll say I need a donor egg. I can't believe this...my periods have been like clockwork since I was 13, so I never suspected I wouldn't be able to have babies. It's so upsetting.

septbride - Good luck with the AFC this morning. I think a timeline will come with the protocol but I am not positive. When we met with my doctor on Friday he did provide a general timeline even though he hadn't determined yet what protocol he would actually put me on. Based on his timeline (provided authorisation from my insurance company goes through on time), I'd be starting some type of drugs (possibly birth control) 3 weeks after my period comes. That will be sometime in July.

Candi - I hope that line was darker this morning! You could always buy a digital pregnancy test to take out the subjectivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->