Any Bostonians starting IVF?

septbride - Hopefully they will let you at least try IVF with your own eggs. I think they will but you should also make sure to push for it. Who knows, they could stimulate you to produce several more follicles during an ivf cycles and all it takes is one egg. I've definitely heard of people starting with a lower follicle count then through use of the stimulation drugs they end up retreiving more eggs than expected. Hopefully you are not feeling too defeated right now. There is hope for you!

Here's a story that gives me some hope: My friend had been trying to get pregnant for about 4-5 years. Her and her husband went through all the tests and fell into the category of unexplained infertility. She did three iui/injectables cycles (actually - 2 because one was cancelled due to hyperstimulation). Those didn't work. They ended up adopting this past December and then tried their first round of IVF in March. She was overstimulated and got pretty sick - they almost didn't do the transfer. Also, they retrieved about 30 eggs and only a very small number fertilized. That IVF round failed. Second round they had to do the retreival one week early because she was overly stimulated, and they also had to inject the sperm right into the eggs. She just found out a couple of days ago she's pregnant!

Thanks notopt -- I'm really hoping and praying that they at least let me try on my own. I think I'm relatively young from a fertility clinic POV, so they might let me try. I'm definitely going to push for it. I also want to have the AFC redone. There was a lot of confusion about what they were doing yesterday (paperwork was screwed up and they thought they were doing a baseline ultrasound, not AFC, then they switched halfway through), so I'm going to ask them to redo the ultrasound and have a doctor do it this time -- I had a resident yesterday and don't want to put all my eggs in that basket (literally). Thanks for offering the ray of hope. I do feel very down and defeated right now, but I know I should be trying to stay positive.

That is great news about your friend! She must be so incredibly relieved!

Did you get your protocol in the mail?

Thanks again for the encouragement.

septbride - Hopefully they will let you at least try IVF with your own eggs. I think they will but you should also make sure to push for it. Who knows, they could stimulate you to produce several more follicles during an ivf cycles and all it takes is one egg. I've definitely heard of people starting with a lower follicle count then through use of the stimulation drugs they end up retreiving more eggs than expected. Hopefully you are not feeling too defeated right now. There is hope for you!

Here's a story that gives me some hope: My friend had been trying to get pregnant for about 4-5 years. Her and her husband went through all the tests and fell into the category of unexplained infertility. She did three iui/injectables cycles (actually - 2 because one was cancelled due to hyperstimulation). Those didn't work. They ended up adopting this past December and then tried their first round of IVF in March. She was overstimulated and got pretty sick - they almost didn't do the transfer. Also, they retrieved about 30 eggs and only a very small number fertilized. That IVF round failed. Second round they had to do the retreival one week early because she was overly stimulated, and they also had to inject the sperm right into the eggs. She just found out a couple of days ago she's pregnant!

Hi Ladies, I got some bad news today. My numbers are too low so it looked like the embryos began to take but are likely terminating right now (HCG level was 18 while it should be around 200). I go back in on Monday so they can test again and make sure but the nurse said it does not look good. I don't think I've ever felt a sadness quite like this. I know this is only our first treatment but somehow that offers me no comfort. I am not usually one to complain, especially to others going through their own struggle, but if anyone can relate I thought it is you two.

I hope you're having a much better day. At least it's Friday and beautiful outside!

septbride - How did your doctor's appointment go today? I haven't received my protocol yet. I wonder if they are waiting to see if I am pregnant this cycle. AF is due in 6 days!

Candi - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Don't worry about complaining to us - complain away! I completely understand the frustration. We are on an emotional rollercoaster and have gone through a lot to try to have kids - especially you with your polyp surgery and going through IVF - all those injections and egg retrieval surgery. I guess all you can do is keep pushing forward. Onto round 2! It would be great to hear some good news for a change.

Hope you girls had a great weekend. Just wanted to let you know that I did receive my protocol in the mail on Saturday. Looks like I have many injections in store for me - sometimes as many as three in a day. Terrific.

Oh Candi, I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is such a rollercoaster. Are you feeling any better today? I hope you had a nice weekend and were able to relax a bit. We can definitely relate to your sadness, and I welcome any and all complaining. It is so important to be able to express these things!

Notopt, that's exciting that you got your protocol in the mail. Less exciting about the injections! Are these ones that you can do yourself/have your hubby do?

Our appointment went well on Friday. My worst fears were not realized -- the doctor says we are definitely going ahead as planned, and when I said I had been terrified that she would say we needed donor eggs, she said absolutely not. She didn't seem fazed by my ridiculously low AMH and follice counts. I suppose it is in her best interest to manage our expectations, so I will take this as a good sign and *try* to stop worrying. Now we are waiting for our insurance to approve us for IVF and ICSI, and then we will take the class. Have you both attended the class already, and did you find it helpful?

Hope you're both feeling good, or at least better, today!

Hi Ladies, I got some bad news today. My numbers are too low so it looked like the embryos began to take but are likely terminating right now (HCG level was 18 while it should be around 200). I go back in on Monday so they can test again and make sure but the nurse said it does not look good. I don't think I've ever felt a sadness quite like this. I know this is only our first treatment but somehow that offers me no comfort. I am not usually one to complain, especially to others going through their own struggle, but if anyone can relate I thought it is you two.

I hope you're having a much better day. At least it's Friday and beautiful outside!

septbride - That's great that your doctor wasn't at all hesitant about going ahead with the IVF! I actually did not know there was a class. Are you sure we are both going to doctors in the Brigham/Parters program? lol :) I know that at some point we are going to be shown how to do injections but no one ever mentioned a class. Is it a one-on-one private class with just you and your husband? Regarding the injections, we have to give ourselves all the injections and I'm not sure yet if I will be comfortable giving myself injections or if I will need my husband to do it so I can close my eyes and look away!

Hah, I wonder if we are in the same program! We're at the Center for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery/Center for Assisted Reproductive Technology at Brigham and Women's -- it's possible there is more than one program through Brigham/Partners! I think it's a class with a group of people who are starting at the same time, and our doctor said they will walk us through the entire process and do a Q and A session. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it and see if it sounds helpful? I would be happy to give you a rundown of the topics we cover, too.

About the injections, it sounds sort of hard either way, doesn't it? I think I will be squeamish about doing it myself, and I think my husband will be worried about hurting me. We'll see what happens.

Are you doing OK, Candi? Sending you good wishes.

septbride - That's great that your doctor wasn't at all hesitant about going ahead with the IVF! I actually did not know there was a class. Are you sure we are both going to doctors in the Brigham/Parters program? lol :) I know that at some point we are going to be shown how to do injections but no one ever mentioned a class. Is it a one-on-one private class with just you and your husband? Regarding the injections, we have to give ourselves all the injections and I'm not sure yet if I will be comfortable giving myself injections or if I will need my husband to do it so I can close my eyes and look away!

septbride- We are definitely at the same place! I think perhaps the difference is that I go to the satellite office in Newton, although my doctor is a Brigham doctor and I currently live closer to Brigham (I am moving next week and will then be slightly closer to Newton-Wellesley). Anyway, I'm not sure my husband would be up for going to a class with other people there. Regarding injections: I get very very squeamish around needles. I'm going to have to get over that fast.

Hi, yes that makes sense about the different offices. I just found this video online that seems to include an entire "Transition to IVF" class -- might be helpful!

https://www.brighamandwomens.org/De...uctivemedicine/resources/VideoTransition.aspx

septbride- We are definitely at the same place! I think perhaps the difference is that I go to the satellite office in Newton, although my doctor is a Brigham doctor and I currently live closer to Brigham (I am moving next week and will then be slightly closer to Newton-Wellesley). Anyway, I'm not sure my husband would be up for going to a class with other people there. Regarding injections: I get very very squeamish around needles. I'm going to have to get over that fast.

Thanks - ill have to check it out when I get home from work! This fertility stuff is so distracting. Surprisingly I'm still able
To get work done! Anyway .. I will know soon whether the Iui worked .. Should get af by Friday. The nurse had said she would seek authorization for ivf before then just to make sure I get approval in time for next cycle.

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for checking in with me and sending me good vibes. I am doing better today- I still have my moments but I can at least concentrate on something other than my sadness again. I spoke with the nurse the other day and she said I will need the next couple of months off for my body to recover, must have to do with the chemical pregnancy. So, I have decided to enjoy all the things you can't when you're pregnant or TTC and also start looking for a new job. That should help keep me busy :) I need something closer to home and hopefully less stressful. I think that can only help us in our efforts.

I went to the class and found it very informative. It is lecture style and it is run by two nurses. The first nurse will walk you through all of the medications, their side effects and how to administer them. Its ideal for your husbands to attend as well since some of the shots are given in the bum and that can be difficult to handle on your own. He will feel more comfortable having heard first had what to do, ya know? My husband actually gave me every single shot- it was nice to work as a team! I preferred shots in the arm because I found them less painful so his help was very much needed. The second nurse will then come in and walk you through step by step what to expect during IVF, tips on navigating the process, etc. For what it's worth, there isn't any group discussion but you can ask questions if you have any and if they're too personal you can speak privately with the nurse afterwards. Every couple tended to keep to themselves which made it more comfortable overall.

Sept- I am so happy to hear your worst fears were squashed by the doctor! Us ladies can really get ourselves in a tizzy, can't we? :dohh:

notopt- I hope you get a BFP on Friday!! If you don't, I'm glad you will have the comfort of starting your first IVF treatment right away :thumbup:

Good luck staying cool these next few days!

Candi - So good to hear from you - glad you are feeling a little better. I've also thought about looking for a new job closer to home. How long is your commute? A few months ago my job moved tfrom Boston to RI so my drive is over an hour each way. Sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to get home. I hope the job market is good - I haven't really heard whether it is improving in Massachusetts or not. I guess it could also depend on what field you are in.

Unfortunetely, I started spotting this morning which always happens the day before I get my period. I'm trying to keep myself together because work is no place to fall apart. It's tough. You understand. I just wonder whether I'll ever have a child. I'm not getting any younger. I know I am only 33 and that's young from a fertility clinic's point of view, but I don't feel so young anymore. I have a feeling my eggs are mostly bad and I know my antral follicle count was low for someone my age so maybe im running very low on time. Anyway, on a brighter note, so glad I had sushi last night!

Hello girls,

Candi, great to hear from you and glad to hear you're feeling a little less blue. You are so smart to look at the bright side and think about enjoying your non-TTC life for a little while. Good for you! I know how hard it is to do that right now. I hope you can enjoy yourself and give yourself some extra little luxuries. Thanks re: my worst fears being squashed -- I can get myself into several tizzies per day over this stuff! And thanks for all the great info on the class. I'm feeling pretty scared about the whole process after reading the booklet they gave us, so hopefully the class will make me feel less freaked out. I keep feeling annoyed at other people who get pregnant with no trouble and don't have to put their bodies through all this. Not that it's their fault...

Notopt, that is awful about the spotting. Is it possible it's implantation bleeding? Staying focused at work is the worst -- I've cried to my monitor more than once in the past couple of weeks. It is a big thing we're going through, and anyone at work would understand your being upset (not that you necessarily want them to know!). I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged. :( Hang in there, it will all work out in the end.

I doubt its implantation bleeding. I am also getting some cramping and it's 14 dpo so it would be a little late for that. I really feel like my period is coming. I can't cry in my office because no privacy here - all glass. I feel like crying sometimes, but usually I wait until I get home for that! When are you taking that class? Are they working out a protocol for you?

I'm sorry, hon. :( Hope you feel better once you can get home and have a cry. As for me, right now we are stalled while we wait for our insurance to approve us for IVF and ICSI. Once we get approved, we'll sign up for the class. We are going on vacation for two weeks in July, so our doctor doesn't want us to get started until my August cycle. It's tough being in limbo, but hopefully we'll come back from vacation relaxed and ready to get started.

I doubt its implantation bleeding. I am also getting some cramping and it's 14 dpo so it would be a little late for that. I really feel like my period is coming. I can't cry in my office because no privacy here - all glass. I feel like crying sometimes, but usually I wait until I get home for that! When are you taking that class? Are they working out a protocol for you?

So I did get my AF today and called the nurse's line to report it as instructed. The nurse called me back and told me that my health insurance approved my IVF treatment. That was so quick! They are now ordering the meds for me and they had me set up an appointment for next friday for a "mock and pre-op" with my doctor. I guess they go over some pre-operation information with me and do a mock transfer meaning they are going to check my uterus position (something like that). In three weeks (CD 21) I go in for a blood test to see if I have ovulated even though I don't ovulate on my own until at the very earliest day 22! They will have me come back if I haven't ovulated a couple days later. Once they've determined I've ovulated I am starting on Lupron injections the next morning for at least a week and sometime after that I will be adding the stimulation medication. The retreival will probably happen early August. There's no class apparently to teach about administering the meds but my nurse said she'd meet with us after my appointment next week to discuss and that I should go to a specific website and view videos on how to give injections. I hope I don't get queasy just watching the videos! Septbride - where are you going on vacation?

Hi ladies,

Wow, notopt, this is happening so fast! How exciting! Do they administer the Lupron injections, or is that one you do at home? How are you feeling about getting started?

We're going to France for two weeks in July, which will be really nice, although part of me is impatient to get started with the IVF. It will be good to relax before getting started, though. Speaking of relaxing, I started acupuncture this weekend -- will go one more time before the IVF cycles start and then will go regularly at key points in the cycle (apparently it's supposed to be helpful to go right after the egg transfer). I'll try anything at this point!

Hope you're staying dry...

So I did get my AF today and called the nurse's line to report it as instructed. The nurse called me back and told me that my health insurance approved my IVF treatment. That was so quick! They are now ordering the meds for me and they had me set up an appointment for next friday for a "mock and pre-op" with my doctor. I guess they go over some pre-operation information with me and do a mock transfer meaning they are going to check my uterus position (something like that). In three weeks (CD 21) I go in for a blood test to see if I have ovulated even though I don't ovulate on my own until at the very earliest day 22! They will have me come back if I haven't ovulated a couple days later. Once they've determined I've ovulated I am starting on Lupron injections the next morning for at least a week and sometime after that I will be adding the stimulation medication. The retreival will probably happen early August. There's no class apparently to teach about administering the meds but my nurse said she'd meet with us after my appointment next week to discuss and that I should go to a specific website and view videos on how to give injections. I hope I don't get queasy just watching the videos! Septbride - where are you going on vacation?

Have you been to France before? My husband and I spent two weeks there on our honeymoon. We spent the first week in the Loire region than drove to Paris for the second week. I loved it. Where will you be visiting?

I think it is great that you've started acupuncture. I'm a little hesitant to try it because it involves needles. Perhaps if this first round of IVF fails I will try it with the second round. By that time, I should be more comfortable with needles. All injections are self-administered. They don't do any of them for you. If I get too scared I'll just have my husband do them. He agreed to it. For the trigger shot, he definitely needs to do that one because that shot is adminsitered in the butt. Exciting stuff. If it wasn't for the needles I'd be excited about getting started right away, but the fact that I'm going to be doing daily injections and at some point three injections every day is really making me anxious. I have about 2.5 weeks to get used to the idea. I'm going to be picking up my meds next weekend - the pharmacy called me Friday night (things move quick!). They wanted to ship it but I just don't want to take a chance in case my neighbors were to see it.

Your trip sounds amazing. I've never been to the Loire but it looks gorgeous. We'll be in Burgundy with family for a week and then in Paris for a week.

No doubt about it, the idea of three injections a day is scary. Hopefully it's one of those things that will seem unremarkable after you do it a few times. I'm not super excited to have a non-professional (ie my husband) administering shots to me, but what can you do! Re: acupuncture, I understand your hesitation. The needles are very skinny and just feel like a little pinprick, so you will definitely be a pro at it if you decide to try it.

Have they told you what sort of anesthetic they use for the egg retrieval? I've heard it's general, but I'm wondering if that's wrong...maybe twilight/conscious sedation?

Have you been to France before? My husband and I spent two weeks there on our honeymoon. We spent the first week in the Loire region than drove to Paris for the second week. I loved it. Where will you be visiting?

I think it is great that you've started acupuncture. I'm a little hesitant to try it because it involves needles. Perhaps if this first round of IVF fails I will try it with the second round. By that time, I should be more comfortable with needles. All injections are self-administered. They don't do any of them for you. If I get too scared I'll just have my husband do them. He agreed to it. For the trigger shot, he definitely needs to do that one because that shot is adminsitered in the butt. Exciting stuff. If it wasn't for the needles I'd be excited about getting started right away, but the fact that I'm going to be doing daily injections and at some point three injections every day is really making me anxious. I have about 2.5 weeks to get used to the idea. I'm going to be picking up my meds next weekend - the pharmacy called me Friday night (things move quick!). They wanted to ship it but I just don't want to take a chance in case my neighbors were to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->