Any Caesarean Mommies that are Triathletes/Marathoners/CrossFit Athletes?

TTCfirstovr30

Reaction score
Doctor says I am having a big baby and I am preparing myself for a Caesarean.

That said, I know it is selfish to say this, but I train for triathlons and marathons year round and was wondering if anyone has experience with how they got back into your workout routine?

How long it took you to get back to training and did you see any effect from the caesarean? Could you not do certain things you did before caesarean with your training?

I typically swim, bike & run plus Cross Fit 2-3x per week.

Thanks!

Doctor says I am having a big baby and I am preparing myself for a Caesarean.

That said, I know it is selfish to say this, but I train for triathlons and marathons year round and was wondering if anyone has experience with how they got back into your workout routine?

How long it took you to get back to training and did you see any effect from the caesarean? Could you not do certain things you did before caesarean with your training?

I typically swim, bike & run plus Cross Fit 2-3x per week.

Thanks!

Hi! First, it is NOT selfish to think about such things! Please NEVER, EVER apologize for caring about yourself/fitness/health whatever! :)

I'm not into triathlons or marathons, but I have worked out in various ways all my adult life and through my pregnancy. I ended up having a big baby (ten pounds) and a c-section. Post op, after a few weeks or so I started light walking and exercises for diasatasis recti. After the ab separation fixed (around 3 months or so) I started getting back into my regular workouts which were mostly strength training and yoga. After awhile, I started adding HIIT/PLYO and heavier weights and now at over 40 (and two years since my son was born), I'm happy to say that I'm stronger and fitter than ever before.

If you don't suffer diastasis recti or any complications from the surgery, I believe you can usually go back to your regular exercise at about 6 weeks or so. Your doc will let you know when it's safe. Also, I would ask them to check you for ab separation as it's very common with larger babies. If you have it and do certain exercises before it heals, it can make it worse and cause your stomach to stick out a lot.

But yeah, there is no reason why having a c-section should keep you from returning to your marathons and such. Just take the time you need, and you'll get back there, and even beyond! Good luck!

I'm none of those things (I did try cross fit for 6 weeks but it just wasn't my thing) BUT I lift heavy weights and have had 3 c-sections, the c-section have never stopped me. I didn't lift after having Emma for a few weeks, got back into it with easy lift like squats etc at about 50% of my 1rm and quickly got back into it. I do snatches, clean and jerk, squats, deadlifts etc.

I've never had any post section pain beyond week 2ish. I'm not special, don't have a high pain tolerance, and have lots of adhesions and scar tissue(my uterus was stuck to so many of my organs with my last section that it had torn and had a window while I was pregnant). I'm also not skinny, and hate cardio though I do bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->