any dental nurses/dentists?question

MikaylasMummy

Mummy of 1 & TTC
Reaction score
hoping someone has an idea of what i should do! two weeks ago i had a really bad infection in my mouth in my gums radiating down to my jaw. i had antibiotics but the doctor said i needed to go to the dentist once id finished the antibiotics. i didnt really agree so i havnt been yet but now the infection is developing again (i may not have finished the antibiotics, im really bad at remembering them :blush:)
only problem is im not so sure a dentist could really help as i do not have ANY sore teeth AT ALL. it does not hurt to brush any of my teeth, or to eat hot, cold, sugary or hard food. there seems to be nothing at all wrong with my actual teeth just my gums.
i was thinking of going to a doc again and getting another course of antib's and then getting some antiseptic mouth wash and seeing if the infection stays away. i dont really want to go to the hassle of a whole dental appointment when i dont think theres anything wrong with my teeth as such!
opinions?
Ps iv never had or needed a filling or any other dental work my last check up was about 2 years ago now

I'm not a dental professional but I have had an abcess in my gums, I didn't have toothache but it was treated by the dentist. Not sure how it works in Australia but in UK dentists can prescribe antibiotics and can treat any area of the mouth - eg ulcers and sores - but doctors can also treat these things they just wouldn't do things like fillings. Your doctor perhaps suspects its dental and he may be right, a wisdom tooth abcess could cause gum and jaw pain without direct nerve pain in your teeth, it also can affect anyone regardless of how good your dental hygiene is. I would see a dentist tbh.

Also if your last check up was 2 years ago then you're due to go anyway. Even if you don't have problems dentists are the first line of defence against mouth cancer - rare but at least they can see early symptoms before the patient feels unwell.

Thanks so much for your reply.I had a good look and it seems to be above my wisdom tooth(which is out and in it's proper place) I'll book in at the dentist.what do they do for an abcess do you know?so you fan have an abcess without tooth pain?
I know dental hygeine doesn't always matter I'm just saying I havnt had any previous problems that could be causing it

Sounds like you may need periodontal treatment, and if you ignore this and it progresses, in extreme cases you can loose teeth. Gums are as important as teeth. The proceedure involves cleaning underneath the gum line, but obviously I cant comment too much as I dont know what the real problem is you have.

Thanks Hun.iv googled accesses and it seems there is two types,the tooth type and the gum type.I am pretty sure iv got the gum type as I don't have nor have I ever had tooth pain.but I think like u said I have to go get it cleaned.I'll get some antibiotics first then book myself into the dentist.thanks for your comments

Just thought I'd give a little update.I didn't describe exactly where the pain was in my op.its not actually really near my teeth its on the side of my mouth basically under my cheek.not under a tooth in the gums.I got hold of my dads partner who is a dental nurse and she agreed it wasn't to do with my teeth and suggested hydrogen peroxide.
I went to the docs today and since this time I went earlier and it wasn't as swollen yet he could clearly tell it wasn't my mouth or gums at all but rather the gland in my mouth/cheek.so he's given me an aggressive double lot of antibiotics which should clear it up and If not we have to start imaging to see if there is something more sinister in the gland.so not dental after all.
But I'm defo still overdue for a checkup :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"