Any dyslexic's out there? I need help. Long post

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
I was diagnosed when i was 6 and had some help at school but not a lot. I have only recently realised that it affects more than just spelling. I allways knew i had a different thought process to others but have only realised this is due to my dyslexia.
Well on tuesday i have a disaplinary hearing at work, im sure i can prove to them that i havent done what they are claming but i cant cope with lots of things being shot at me at once, its like my brain overloads, they know im dyslexic, well iv deffinatly told them i am, wether they remember it or not i dunno. I want to tell them im not going to be able to cope with 20q thrown at me but i dont what them to think im only saying this as excuse to get out of it and as with me being bloody dyslexic i dont know how to word it!!!!

Any help or advice would be great-could be the differance of me being sacked or not.

My OH is dyslexic but it only really affects his reading and spelling and after 25 years of stuggling he has that pretty much under control as long as he isn't really rushed. In fairness, he actually deals better under pressure as he just has to decide and stick with is as its more confusing for him to hmmm and haw about it.

I am not sure what to say hun except for good luck and I hope it all works out for you....

x

I'd make sure you write in bullet points everything you want to cover in the meeting. Take someone with you if you can, even if only to tell you to breathe before answering a question.

If your dyslexia makes you feel overfaced when you have questions thrown at you then say so. Say so before any meeting starts so it doesn't come across like you're backpedalling if things go badly. Quote the disability discrimination act if you feel like they're not being reasonable. The DDA states that you can't be discriminated against even in dismissal and the company have to make reasonable adjustments to help you.

Dont think i realy need the cab, just how to word it. Im better if things are wrote down and i have time to get my thoughts together and im better at writing things down than speeking them. Think its cos im doing something as im thnking about it.

Thanks purpular, Im planning on telling them before hand but i am struggaling on what to say or how to say it.

Hey hun,
First, does your company or workplace have a union. If so you can take a rep in with you.
Also, make sure you read your handbook if you have one, or contract or what ever to make sure everything they are doing is fair and aloud.
I would do as suggested and make bullet points.
Also, if you do get disciplined, you can do an appeal. With the appeal, you can write a letter explaining everything, you won't have to speak that way.
Hope all goes well.
x

I have dyslexia and dyscalculia (and they have to make them so akward to spell why?!) but I have never got help for it, just kept my head down and dealt with it. I'm okay with words being thrown at me, but when I have to talk back I stutter and freak out. Especially if that involves numbers!

I'm sorry, that doesn't help. But I would guess seeing CAB would be good too, get to know your rights before the hearing.

No dont have a union sadly but i am taking some one in with me.

Im fine when talking but they will be asking lots of questions about were i was on such a such a date and can you tell me why you did this and i wont be able to think so ill end up saying a load of crap. My mind crashes. I end up stuttering too drazic or mixing my words up well not actual words like saying one word insted of another but axualy saying 2 diff words at the same time.

Love your pic btw drazic

If you've told them before that you're dyslexic then that'll help. Go in with something written if you don't think you'll say it right.

I'd also say that whilst you need to mention the extra help you;ll need of the bat, don't go in all guns blazing straight away and get their backs up. Is there anyone you can take in with you? THings feel so much better just for having someone one your side.

The person going in with you should be aloud to speak for you if you explain you are having problems.
If you do get any problems, just get them to repeat what they have said and take your time replying. It also shouldnt be that many people in there. Maybe a manager, you, your friend and someone taking minutes. But this is depending on what company you work for.
You can join a union, i'm with usdaw, its £8 a month and well worth it! My work tried disciplining me for sickness, it was at 4% but i have a medical problem with they knew about, luckily it got thrown out. But i'm lucky in that my o.h is a usdaw rep!
x

I think ill mention it to my manager tomorrow and see what he says, i plan on taking notes in with me. But i think my dyslexia could have had an impact with what they are trying to sack me for, timesheets and expences, im crap with numbers

How are you getting on with sorting this? Are you any closer?

I think ill mention it to my manager tomorrow and see what he says, i plan on taking notes in with me. But i think my dyslexia could have had an impact with what they are trying to sack me for, timesheets and expences, im crap with numbers

How did u get on???
Surely if they knew that u were dyslexic they should have had some sort of support plan for u in doing that sort of thing?????

Ha they totaly disregared my dyslexia as my manager "dident think it had effected what i was being blamed for" He dident even read the pissing info i gave him the twat! sorry about the language.

Im only getting a written warning and have to do the induction traning again. whoooooooooooo

Dyslexia definitely affects people in many different ways.

My OH is dyslexic and it's tough for him to read and write, he is terribly bad with dates and times, but, my gosh, he can sure speak, and speak well. He should've been a lawyer. LOL

Make sure you bring it up to your work that you are dyslexic, that you cannot handle a multitude of questions thrown at you, etc. They seriously need to understand how dyslexia affects you. :hugs:

I'd suggest you still spoke to the CAB. You could be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act, and they can advise on how to ask for this. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->