Any experienced sewers around?

MrsGruffalo

Me, DH and the budgies
Reaction score
I've just started sewing, and am looking for some top tips from any ladies who are more experienced than me...

so, what are your top tips for a novice sewer? :D

Thanks ladies!

Sewing clothes or other projects? I mostly make quilts but have done clothes too

Awesome! When you finish I'd love to see a pic :)

I have sewn a few cushion covers, blankets etc but nothing too fancy, I mainly make clothes and tend to use Eastern sewing techniques as opposed to Western ones, there are quite a few differences but Eastern techniques tend to put the garment together in a different order, and instead of using paper patterns either use an existing garment as a pattern or using mathematical calculations; draw the pattern pieces directly onto the fabric in chalk before cutting out xx

For sewing quilts:

#1, make sure you are sewing using 1/4" seam. Any smaller, and your seams tend to come undone. Larger and it's wasting. All your seams need to be the same size, for better alignment.

#2, When making individual blocks, after sewing blocks, make sure they are trimmed to the right size. Fabric tends to shift, and blocks are almost always in need of trimming.

#3, pins really help a lot, especially if you are sewing triangles or any fabric cut on the bias.

Hmm, it's early, that's all I can think of right now. I do have a quilting blog, with lots of tutorials. You are welcome to come check it out.

https://mtnmommy2.blogspot.com/

When you are working with smaller pieces or anything cut on the bias iron it win starch before cutting and again before sewing if needed. This helps it from stretching. Also for a 1/4 inch seam use the presserfoor that is 1/4 inch. Then you just line it up with the edge. Sew slowly and pin lots! I love using silk pins because you can sew right over them. One last thing, don't stress about it being perfect. My blocks usually come out smaller than they should and seams don't always match up perfectly but that gives it character!

Great tips, thank you ladies! I've been working with 6mm seams, because I'm a metric girl! I'm about half way through my quilt top, and just ordered fabric to make a very cute bag (if it works!) :D

Good deal Mrs Gruffalo! Make sure you share pictures with us, when it's done.

My favorite thing for quilting is my collection of square rulers! They make patchwork so much easier.

Also, I pink all of my quilt seams to keep them from unraveling inside the quilt.

And when lining up rows to sew together, match seams starting from the center and pin outward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->