Any Ferret Owners?

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
Now, I'm only looking for some tips, not to be told how horrible I am for keeping my ferrets around while pregnant and when I have my baby or any rude comments like that (sorry, I've had too much of that lol)

I've been very safe with handling my ferrets while I've been pregnant, being very safe with steering clear from toxoplasmosis(sp?) and I'm no where near willing to let go of my ferrets unless it comes down to my living situation. To any ferret owners, or anyone who has ferrets and children/babies, or even if you're pregnant and own ferrets or other small animals, how do you plan to have them around with your little ones? I did a lot of research, but I just can't find too much on the topic. /: I know I shouldn't have my ferrets around my baby for a little while, but what should I do? Keep them in a separate room at all times? And when would it be safe to let my baby interact with my ferrets?
:shrug:

I have a ferret :) They are wonderful little creatures aren't they?

In my humble opinion, ferrets would be just as safe to have around a baby as any cat or dog. However, I know my ferret gets excited SUPER easily and likes to weasel war dance whilst jumping up on legs or whatever she can reach on you. She doesn't bite, and I keep her nails trimmed down. I plan on waiting at least 4 months before I fully introduce my ferret to my little boy, but that's just my personal preference.

As long as you keep nails trimmed down and they don't bite (which you won't know how they will react until they meet your baby), then I think it's completely up to you as to when you introduce them. :) One thing I plan on trying is introducing my ferret to my Step-daughter's baby doll. That way I can see how she MAY react, and teach her to be gentle with babies. :) (with my ferrets adhd, this will be quite an interesting task!!) LMAO

Good luck!! And congrats on your little one! :D

Ferret owner over here!! I've had up to seven at a time..down to five now.

My ferrets I actually keep in a spare room. I have two different groups (some don't get along) which means two cages and I alternate who gets lets out in that room for their playtimes. I guess for us it's not going to be too difficult because they are seperated from the rest of the house. The only way one of my furbabies would interact with our coming baby is if I took one of them out of the room to play with her. Are yours free roaming or do they have a sectioned off play area? If they are free roam, I would just suggest sectioning off an area for their use only and you'll be golden.

What I am planning to do is just not introduce them to baby until she is older and I'm trying to teach her how to be gentle and treat animals with respect (we have cats too). And I would do it slowly as in maybe taking one furbaby out that I know is more laid back personality and just let them check each other out in a calm environment.

I don't really feel my ferrets are any threat. I don't think they even carry toxoplasmosis as cats do. My hubby has taken over the care of the cat boxes and such since we found out I was pregnant but I have still maintained the ferrets on my own (with occasional help from hubby when my back is hurting and bending is a chore). Mine are actually more gentle than cats or dogs. Sure they bounce around and act silly but they are no threat, I'm not too worried about it. Like I said, when you do feel like doing introductions in the future, I think slow and steady is the best. If you have a ferret that has a tendency to bite (4 out of 5 of mine are non biters and the one that bites is a fear biter because of past abuse so it is only if she feels threatened..I probably won't ever have her with the baby just to be fair to everyone), then just don't let them interact. These guys are so little it's pretty easy to make sure they don't even meet if you want or don't want to risk it.

People freak out about ferrets because they are scared of what they don't know. But as I'm sure you know they're wonderful little animals and I think it's ridiculous when people think you should get rid of animals just because a baby is coming. It's not like I'm going to plop down my newborn and let them crawl all over her or something. I'm excited to teach my daughter how to respect animals and interact with them correctly.:flower:

Thanks guys :D
Yeah, mine act no worse than my kittens or like any little puppy, so I'm not too worried about them getting too rough. They're always preoccupied with other things anyways pahah. Mine don't really bite either, they only nip at your socks when you run around with them. All I EVER get is how my ferrets are going to give my baby rabies, going to make my baby extremely sick, gauge their eyes out, etc. But most of those people don't even own ferrets and only hear the horror stories (that rarely even happen, and people that don't take good care of their ferrets). But it's really nice to know that it perhaps wouldn't be a bad idea to slowly let them all interact with one another. :)

I don't have ferrets, but I don't think you have to worry about toxoplasmosis. I think cats are the only animals that shed toxoplasmosis in their feces. (Cats get toxoplasmosis because they sometimes eat raw animals they kill.) You only get toxoplasmosis from other animals if you eat them without cooking them, and as I imagine you plan neither to cook nor eat your ferrets, you should be safe.

I have a feeling that ferrets are one of those things people fear because they don't understand. (i.e. I've read that sushi, safely prepared, is about as safe for pregnant women as fast food hamburgers, but we're told to avoid the sushi because it's seen as "exotic.")

Good luck! I'm sure your baby and the fur-babies will get along swimmingly.

This is really great advice, you all!:hugs: I wish I'd have thought of the internet when my 2nd was born and I had no idea how ferrets responded to babies and vice versa!

We have a ferret and we're expecting #3 in June. I never really did anything in particular when #2 was born 4 years ago. My ferret lives in my home office and doesn't have the run of the house due to my two killer hunters (a beagle and a Jack Russell/Rat Terrier cross). The one thing I found with the ferret and baby #2 is that as PP noted (brilliantly, I must say) that the 'ferret ware dance' is brought out by baby squeals/giggles! Aside from that I have let little one #2 get to know Weasel (that's her name) on her own terms, which has been very hesitantly. I don't know what baby #3 will be like, as Weasel is approaching older age (she's 7) and slowing down a little but, but still as gentle and sweet as ever.

when i was growing up my dad always had ferrets and i loved um :)
i wasnt allowed hold um till i was old enough to be gentle with um but i was allowed pet them and talk to them under supervision before that :) we had one ferret who used to run up ,y sleeve of my jumper , across my back and peek his head out the other sleeve :) ive never been seriously bitten by a ferret, ive been nipped playing, but only really gently ;) so dont worry they can mix ;)
we have ferrets now ourselves and i will do the same, only allow limited contact under supervision til bub is old enough to uinderstand to be gentle, same goes for my house cat, chickens and dog :)

We had them growing up, think I got nipped but that was all that ever happened ( me and my twin were fighting at the time). They are lovely animals, I'm thinking about getting fancy rats after bubs is born but again people seen to think they are full of diseases :(, wish people would do there research before lecturing :(. Sheep/goats/cats are really the largest risk of toxoplasmosis, but even then with very careful handling you can see have them :). X

Rats and small animals like that aren't ridden with diseases when they're coming from trusted pet farms, etc. and get their shots (as I'm pretty sure they're required before bringing them into pet stores) but yeah, everyone jumps to conclusions that having small animals like rats, ferrets, rabbits, etc are horrible for babies. Granted, yes they can catch sicknesses, but that's if you treat them poorly. Rats are such cuties though :)

We have rats! As you can see from my pic, lol :haha:

I adore them, and I understand they are similar to ferrets in their 'puppy dog' temperaments. Our rats never bite (none of the rats we've ever had have bitten) and I would be very confident that they wouldn't bite baby UNLESS baby makes a grab for them suddenly or otherwise frightens them.

We plan on keeping them away from baby until he/she is old enough to understand what 'gently' means. We'll see how that goes and take it from there.

When baby is older if they ever want pets of their own we will be getting them rats - a million times more fun then a hamster! I'm sure your ferrets are gorgeous <3

my dad had ferrets when i was growing up. we were just told to wash our hands not touch our face etc........... the ferrets be it smelly :haha: were v friendly lil creatures :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->