Any good tips for constipation??

Jo1984

Proud Mam to Thomas
Reaction score
No one told me how bad it could get, I'm usually so regular so going every few days is killing me! And I dont feel like I go "properly" neither, like I'm not relieved afterwards (if that makes sense!) :shy: :?: By evening time I'm really really uncomfortable :(

I've been drinking some prune juice but dont know how much to have per day & it's really really nasty & makes me feel so sick!! :cry:

Any tips from others would be great xx

I found switching to a high fibre breakfast ceral like bran flakes, plus 4-5 pieces of fruit a day sorted me out to a level where I was normal again :D
No one told me either! Lol :D

When your body is pregnant the hormones that are secreted soften all your organs to allow your womb to expand for baby's growth.

The digestive system then becomes sluggish and it takes a lot longer for the body to digest food. You become less active, and probably may drink less depending on how you are feeling in pregnancy.

You can try to avoid or minimise constipation by
- drinking lots of water
- eat oranges in the morning and drink lots during the day
- go for long walks ( this actually massages the organs (bladder/bowel) in the productive system.
- yes prune juice is good because it is high in iron, plus it softens what is in the bowels so you do not suffer from piles.
- yes bran flakes and any fribrous foods
- would you believe licquorice is a good laxative with lots of fluids?

The body does slow down because of the hormones so a good dietis essential.

Hope this helps.

Prunes, raisins, probiotic yogurt, sugarfree gums or candy, bran cereals, lots of fruit and veggies, whole bread/pasta/rice instead of white... I'm trying all the tricks of the trade!

I think prunes work best but I don't want to eat too many as they're full of sugar. My mum swears by All brans cereals so I might change my breakfast soon too.

I know it takes time but you have to be patient. Your intestines are approx 30 feet long. It takes 72 hours for your body to get rid of red meat!

And with a sluggish 30 feet digestive system it does take at least 24-48 hrs for release.

If you are anxious, impatient and tense this does not help.

You are taking EVERYTHING instead of trying one thing at a time. This can also prolong the process as you are packing yourself up and the body cannot discern what to do.

So take it one step at a time.

Try what you like first, give yourself a week. If you don't like prunes them try dried apricots or raisins. Stay with dried fruits and drink lots during the day. You have to allow TIME as your body has changed and is now working to develop you baby.

Happy pregnancy.

I'm drinking gallons (well @ least 2 litres) of water a day @ the min cos I feel so dizzy and try to have some bran flakes whn I can stomach milk!

Will have to be patient but it's hard when you're crippled with pains & bloated!!

Good luck to you others too!! .... Oh the joys of pregnancy!! LOL!!

J xx

I've found dried apricots, peanuts and wholegrain bread, pasta etc to work really well. Also plenty of fruit and veggies.

And making sure you do go when your body wants to even if its not the most convienent time!

And when you've tried all that and if it doesn't work you can get something called lactulose from the chemist which is perfectly safe to take in pregnancy. :)

raise your feet!!!! i found the little bathroom bin worked well, but others use a stack of books etc.. basically you want your knees to he higher than your hips. works a treat!!

all what is mentioned above plus porridge with brown sugar. If nothing is working, try alpine tea.

Teaspoonful of linseed in fruit juice is what my midwife recommended... Has worked so far, but then I relax at weekends and tense up when I'm back at work...

Mrsaligee
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"