Any ideas as to why my doctor is pushing on the idea of contraception? (LONG)

purplerose

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted this on another thread but thought I post here.

Last month AF was late by 2 weeks. I went to a new doctor (a female one) whom seemed to be fresh out of medical school. Went in had the blood test for HCG Beta Test, HIV/Hep/STDS etc. I said I didn't mind either way if I was pregnant or wasn't. Just wanted to know what was delaying AF.

We spent half an hour talking about contraception and various forms. Even though I expressed that the method that OH and I have has been effective for six plus years. And I was happy at that.

My doctor started to push the idea I should use contraception for unplanned pregnancy. Saying I should go on the pill or have DEPO injections.

I was over the session even when I stressed I was with OH for SIX years and I'm in my late 20s, pregnancy would be fine be. After printing off info sheets of the Pill, I told her I would think about it.

A week later I get a call back saying my results were all clear and I wasn't pregnant. That I was perfectly healthy. I was thrilled and told her that a few days before AF arrived.

She said good and then she asked to see me as soon as possible.

I was worried and I didn't get a wink of sleep that night. The next morning went to the doctors after waiting 45 minutes she calls me in and I was expecting something was entirely wrong that she couldn't discuss over the phone with me.

Get in there, she askes how I been and I tell her everything great, I have been losing weight. After pleasent chit-chat she started to tell me the reason she wanted to see me was if I thought what contraception I wanted to use. I was stunned. Really flabbergasted. In no terms did I express that I wanted to go on contraception. No hint or idea that I wanted to use anything. Then she went for another round of contraception talk.

Finally I said to get out of there that I would take the pill, and I said "Only to get my periods in sync again." She happily filled out the prescription and gave it to me.

Anyone can tell me why she was wanting me to go on contraception.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to read and run. I honestly have no idea. I've never heard of anything like that before. I'd call the office back and tell her I'm not taking the pills though.

Maybe she gets bonus points? I've heard that gps get financial incentives for tackling certain problems.
That's why they sound so disappointed when your blood pressure is fine, you don't drink much and you can't stop smoking because you haven't started yet.

Don't feel pressured to actually take the pill now you have a prescription. I'm not against pills in general (although they did cause me to have life threatening blood clots), but by the sound of it you have no reason to take it.
As for af being 2 weeks late, I would hazard a guess that it was your ovulation that was delayed, not an extended luteal phase. Stress or illness during the first part of your cycle could have caused it. Hopefully you go back to clockwork now :thumbup:

Oh yeah, if your doc ever asks you why you aren't actually taking the pill she prescribed turn the question back to her: why are you so keen for me to take it?

That is kind of weird.. It shouldn't be any concern of hers whether you use contraception or not; especially since things seemed normal and okay after your last appointent.

How strange, i've never heard of a doctor doing that before. You don't have to take them though, and if you have to go back for whatever reason just tell her the truth, you changed your mind, but be firm. Ugh I hate pushy people, why can't they mind their own business :growlmad:

Thanks guys.

petitpas :) Thanks for that. Your right, I'm assuming every prescription she signs people on is a bonus right? I didn't pick up the prescription. As really I don't see what the deal is on going on Yasmin and after reading reviews it turned me off.

Urgh, she wanted to put you on yasmin? Seriously, she could have started you on a less dangerous one while she was at it. :dohh:

And yeah, you can tell her that, too!

Urgh, she wanted to put you on yasmin? Seriously, she could have started you on a less dangerous one while she was at it. :dohh:

And yeah, you can tell her that, too!

along with Microgynon, theure the cheapest pill they dish out. Really she had no business to tell you to take the pill and you should have asked her why she thinks yo ushould take it? its none of her bloody business. I agree that i reckon they are told to dish it out to as many people to reach a quota, i think this is totally wrong :growlmad:

Silly doctors. :growlmad: I went before to check for preg because I was late on my :af: and all of that was fine.

But while I was at the reception desk, saying I'm here for my appointment, I was asked to provide a urine test and told where the toilets were. :confused:

I then LATER found out it was testing for chylimedia (spell check)
I was like OMG, they just tested me for a STI, I didn't even ask for or agree to [-X and had been with the same partner for the past year ](*,)

A note to doctors: not every women under 25 is sleeping with the entire male population, and imo the young women who are actually trying to prevent pregnancy wouldn't get talks from their gp like purplerose did.

There is a tendency to push contraception of the hormonal kind onto people. I don't know why, I don't know if it benefits the practice or the NHS in general in some way.

I knew this mom who fell pregnant as a result of being raped, and after she had the baby, the nurse asked her if she wanted to go on the pill, and she said no (obviously not, she was single so no chance of pregnancy) and the nurse said "why don't you just go on the pill, to stop the same mistake happening again". It was beyond rude and insensitive.

They seem to think every pregnancy is a mistake. I dare anyone to approach me like that, as I am hugely anti-hormonal contraception. x

Silly doctors. :growlmad: I went before to check for preg because I was late on my :af: and all of that was fine.

But while I was at the reception desk, saying I'm here for my appointment, I was asked to provide a urine test and told where the toilets were. :confused:

I then LATER found out it was testing for chylimedia (spell check)
I was like OMG, they just tested me for a STI, I didn't even ask for or agree to [-X and had been with the same partner for the past year ](*,)

A note to doctors: not every women under 25 is sleeping with the entire male population, and imo the young women who are actually trying to prevent pregnancy wouldn't get talks from their gp like purplerose did.

I know in America it is standard to check for chlamydia at every pap smear. It's one of those routine things that they do. I don't know how it is in the UK though.

To the original poster, I would find another gyno. I would ask to have my records transferred to the new doctor and if the old gyno asked me why I moved I would tell them straight up that they were not listening to me and were pushing me into things that I was not comfortable with. Good luck!

dunno, sound odd when you told her you and your husband don't care to get pregnant. I know my friend have to be on birth control because she tend to get cervical precancerous cells without them (I have no idea what she talking about though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->