Any IUI success stories??

RedCandle

Reaction score
I keep hearing how people have had 2,3, 4 IUI's without success. I am really sorry when I hear this, not only the financial loss but just the utter frustration! Wow. Anyway, I am due to talk to my FS this Friday about possible IUI. I would also like to ask her about unmedicated IUI if my progesterone levels are normal. Does any one know the success rate of this procedure? And of course, if you have a story with a good outcome, please do tell!! Thanks in advance :winkwink:

I was quoted success rate of 15-20% with each cycle, basically the same as sex.

I conceived my first son on my fourth IUI cycle.

I did 1 cycle in September to conceive a fourth child, and it failed.

Good luck.

Hi,I agree with readyformore, unmedicated IUI have the same chances with sex. With injectables you have more than 1 follie so success rates are higher, I was given 40% chance with injectables because I had 2-3 mature follies.
I wish I could tell you a success story but we had 2 IUI cycles with injectables both ended with BFN so having IVF on january.
good luck

FYI- That rate was for oral meds, not unmedicated.
Either clomid or femara.

I (and several others) are doing unmedicated IUIs, we have a thread over in the assisted conception forum if you're interested.

The rates aren't fantastic (to be honest) but when thrown in with other factors like my age -30- and risks of multiples (& DH's fear of multiples) and finances, we decided it made more sense for us to start with unmedicated IUI first before moving to medications. We've been diagnosed with unexplained infertility so there's no issues with either of us that we're aware of.

---Statistics just off the top of my head from what I've read without going to look anything back up---

The odds of a regular couple conceiving each month is approx 20%ish, the odds of a couple with unexplained infertility is estimated to be between 1-5% each month, the odds of unmedicated IUI is estimated at 6-<20%, with meds it increased the number of follicles released so it can be much higher, but whereas you get control over how many fertilized eggs are put in with IVF you don't get as close of control with IUI so while you could have end with a BFN or you can have even immature follicles release and get fertilized with IUI. John & Kate +8? That's from a Medicated IUI.

The odds of a regular couple conceiving each month is approx 20%ish, the odds of a couple with unexplained infertility is estimated to be between 1-5% each month, the odds of unmedicated IUI is estimated at 6-<20%, with meds it increased the number of follicles released so it can be much higher, but whereas you get control over how many fertilized eggs are put in with IVF you don't get as close of control with IUI so while you could have end with a BFN or you can have even immature follicles release and get fertilized with IUI. John & Kate +8? That's from a Medicated IUI.

High order mulitples are from injectable meds/IUI, not oral meds. There is a big difference.

Femara gives you a 7% risk of twins. Clomid is about 10%. Unassisted rate is about 3%.

Neither femara nor clomid gives a noticable increase in triplets, or any other higher order multiple. That comes from injectables.

I would like to start off with saying, that I know this is an old thread. But if there are others out there like me I searched anything and everything looking for advice, suggestions, help, knowledge and success stories. I was reading through threads that were dated back to 2005. So if there is anyone who comes across this.. my story began March 11, 2013. This was the date of my first consultation with Ohio Reproductive Medicine in Columbus, Ohio. I chose Ohio Reproductive because I was at a point in my life where the right guy just wasn't to be found and I wanted a child. I already have one who is a few years shy of a teenager and last thing I really wanted was that big of a gap between my children. So here I was seeking professional help. Lol. Well my first visit was quite fast. I was told since I have no known infertility problems he would do a few work ups and if everything comes back normal I will have an unmedicated IUI. He suggested 2 or 3 unmedicated's and since money was somewhat tight for me he would move onto medicated after that. So I had two sets of blood work completed that came back normal. I then had an HSG test, it also came back normal but showed a blocked left fallopian tube. Doctor told me that even with one blocked fallopian tube I still had the same chances of conceiving as women without blocked fallopian tubes. He told me that we ovulate from one tube to another each month and that even if I did ovulate from the left, my right tube could still pick up the egg. I didn't fully understand that process but just prayed that I ovulated from my right the month of the IUI. Lol. So I waited for my monthly to come and I ordered my donor sperm from the Cryo Biology lab just next door to the Doctor's Office. Very conveniant. Lol. I then waited until Day 10 of my cycle. Day 10 I started using OPK strips to determine when peak time was. I had to use the strips to determine when to have my blood work done, so I was vaguely familiar with them and how they work. The month prior I my OPK tested positive on Day 15 of my cycle. So come Day 15 of my cycle there was that big smiley face telling me it was my peak time. I was instructed to call the Office once I saw that smiley face and schedule my IUI the next day. I had to be at the Cryo Biology center between 7:30 and 8:00 to release the donor sperm. From there I waited an hour for them to prepare the sample. I then went to my Doctor (again next door) and checked in. 9:00 am I was back in the room with my feet in the air and the insemination was in process. It took about 8-10 minutes total. After the insemination I laid on the table for about 5 minutes. Once that was up I put on my clothes and went home. It was now time for the dreaded two week wait. And they don't lie it is terrible having to wait. Everything little twinge, every yawn, every cramp I wondered if I was going to conceive that month. They said it was possible to conceive on the first try but in all honesty I really thought it would take me 3-4 trys. Not too mention all the threads I was reading was talking how it took them several trys and eventually they had to move onto medicated IUI's. So 6 days prior to my cycle I was feeling down and depressed because I really didn't think it happened. But I got the First Respone that can tell you 6 days prior to your period and tested. Big Fat Negative!! I started to show signs that my period was on its way. 3 days before my expected period I was lying in bed and was just annoyed at the fact I had another test in the drawer. I couldn't get it out of my head until I wasted my money and used up that last test. So 9:00 at night I sat on the toilet and pee'd on the stick. I placed it on the counter, very much expecting that one bright line. I finished up and looked down at the stick and to my surprise thought I was starting to see a second line appear. I had to do a double take and it slowely got a little more presentable. It was faint but it was definately a second line. I couldn't believe it. The next day I went out and bought another 2 pack pregnancy test kit. I used one that night, again a faint positive second line. Used the second one the next day which was the day of my monthly and again, a second positive line. No Period!! When I informed my nurse at Ohio Reproductive she herself was surprised it happened the first time. So the moral to this very long story of mine... I am proof that you can get pregnant on your very first unmedicated IUI. If I go according to the first day of my period I am 4 weeks along and if I go according to my insemination date I am 2 weeks along. Lol. So still very early. But excited to start this process after wanting it for so long. I do hope this helps anyone out there looking for answers like I was. And Thank You to all the Threads that helped me along the way. :)

I would like to start off with saying, that I know this is an old thread. But if there are others out there like me I searched anything and everything looking for advice, suggestions, help, knowledge and success stories. I was reading through threads that were dated back to 2005. So if there is anyone who comes across this.. my story began March 11, 2013. This was the date of my first consultation with Ohio Reproductive Medicine in Columbus, Ohio. I chose Ohio Reproductive because I was at a point in my life where the right guy just wasn't to be found and I wanted a child. I already have one who is a few years shy of a teenager and last thing I really wanted was that big of a gap between my children. So here I was seeking professional help. Lol. Well my first visit was quite fast. I was told since I have no known infertility problems he would do a few work ups and if everything comes back normal I will have an unmedicated IUI. He suggested 2 or 3 unmedicated's and since money was somewhat tight for me he would move onto medicated after that. So I had two sets of blood work completed that came back normal. I then had an HSG test, it also came back normal but showed a blocked left fallopian tube. Doctor told me that even with one blocked fallopian tube I still had the same chances of conceiving as women without blocked fallopian tubes. He told me that we ovulate from one tube to another each month and that even if I did ovulate from the left, my right tube could still pick up the egg. I didn't fully understand that process but just prayed that I ovulated from my right the month of the IUI. Lol. So I waited for my monthly to come and I ordered my donor sperm from the Cryo Biology lab just next door to the Doctor's Office. Very conveniant. Lol. I then waited until Day 10 of my cycle. Day 10 I started using OPK strips to determine when peak time was. I had to use the strips to determine when to have my blood work done, so I was vaguely familiar with them and how they work. The month prior I my OPK tested positive on Day 15 of my cycle. So come Day 15 of my cycle there was that big smiley face telling me it was my peak time. I was instructed to call the Office once I saw that smiley face and schedule my IUI the next day. I had to be at the Cryo Biology center between 7:30 and 8:00 to release the donor sperm. From there I waited an hour for them to prepare the sample. I then went to my Doctor (again next door) and checked in. 9:00 am I was back in the room with my feet in the air and the insemination was in process. It took about 8-10 minutes total. After the insemination I laid on the table for about 5 minutes. Once that was up I put on my clothes and went home. It was now time for the dreaded two week wait. And they don't lie it is terrible having to wait. Everything little twinge, every yawn, every cramp I wondered if I was going to conceive that month. They said it was possible to conceive on the first try but in all honesty I really thought it would take me 3-4 trys. Not too mention all the threads I was reading was talking how it took them several trys and eventually they had to move onto medicated IUI's. So 6 days prior to my cycle I was feeling down and depressed because I really didn't think it happened. But I got the First Respone that can tell you 6 days prior to your period and tested. Big Fat Negative!! I started to show signs that my period was on its way. 3 days before my expected period I was lying in bed and was just annoyed at the fact I had another test in the drawer. I couldn't get it out of my head until I wasted my money and used up that last test. So 9:00 at night I sat on the toilet and pee'd on the stick. I placed it on the counter, very much expecting that one bright line. I finished up and looked down at the stick and to my surprise thought I was starting to see a second line appear. I had to do a double take and it slowely got a little more presentable. It was faint but it was definately a second line. I couldn't believe it. The next day I went out and bought another 2 pack pregnancy test kit. I used one that night, again a faint positive second line. Used the second one the next day which was the day of my monthly and again, a second positive line. No Period!! When I informed my nurse at Ohio Reproductive she herself was surprised it happened the first time. So the moral to this very long story of mine... I am proof that you can get pregnant on your very first unmedicated IUI. If I go according to the first day of my period I am 4 weeks along and if I go according to my insemination date I am 2 weeks along. Lol. So still very early. But excited to start this process after wanting it for so long. I do hope this helps anyone out there looking for answers like I was. And Thank You to all the Threads that helped me along the way. :)

Sarah Reece,
Thank you for sharing your story. I am also using Ohio Reproductive Medicine and I am just about to throw in the towel and give up. I have tried IUI now 5 times and all BFN! The first time I tried, I did not use Clomid. The other 4 times I have. I have also done the HSG "dye test" right before my 5th time and im almost sure I am gonna start my period here in about a day or so. I am suppose to test in 2 days according to Carol. I did test today and got a big fat negative. Your success story gives me a little more hope than I had and I am so very envious of you!!! I want a baby so very badly and my funds and hope is running out!! I just wante to comment on this because it is kinda refreshing that someone else used the same places as me and succeeded!! Good luck and I'm very happy for you!!!!

Why didn't they do the HSG before iui? That doesn't make sense to me. As for me, my first iui was unmedicated and unsuccessful, my second was medicated (femara and hcg shot) and was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->