Any Mummies At Uni?

Mummy May

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Its something I'm considering and just wondering how hard is it really? I know that money will be tight but I wouldn't want me studying to affect my children. Any advice welcome :flower: xx

I'm starting in september, I will spend two days at uni, two days on placement (im doing my placement at LOs nursery) and one day to crack on with uni work.
its definitely doable, several of my friends have completed a university course with a LO, just need to be organised I think!

I study distance learning so I guess it is different, it's a post grad and I work 3 days a week so financially it doesn't affect us. The hardest thing I find is the motivation to get stuff done at home, but I think it's just because I'm in a funk ATM while on maternity. I think once I'm back at work I will find it easier to divide my time, but with a 6 month old I'm pretty tired and unmotivated ATM! Before he was here I was doing really well, getting good grades, it was very rewarding, so hopefully will get back into it. I divided my time to ensure we had family time so it didn't affect DS1 unless deadline was looming and I would have to spend a weekend or two on it. I also made sure hubby and I still had time together. I'm over half way :)

following! I'm starting back in september, I took a year out to have my DD so interested to hear other's experiences :)

I finished my bachelors in 2012 when my dd1 was 2 and a half. Like others have said, it's just a case of being organised really - assigning time in advance to family time, study time etc. I'm hoping to do a masters in the not too distant future so it can't have been that bad!
I can't comment on finances as i had a lot of help from student finance and family but i know quite a few people who've done it. Have you considered carrying on working and doing something like the OU?

I want to study Radiography so its pretty much 'normal' uni I think. Either that or Midwifery but I know that Midwifery is notoriously difficult to get on to. I would need to try and do some kind of work and I would get a bursary each month of £500 it just worries me that I would put so much financial pressure on my Husband. If I were to start next September then I would only have 6 months of childcare to pay for before my son got his free nursery hours but I don't know how I could manage that unless I got a student loan - which I defo would do if it helped. The NHS would fund my tuition on either of those course so I wouldn't have that to pay back. I'm feeling really selfish for wanting to do it but I don't want to regret not doing it. Its difficult!! xx

I have just finished my first year at uni doing BA English Language and Literature. It is hard, but it's worth it. You just have to discipline yourself to make sure you do everything. I get help with childcare and get my student loans as I go full time. I finished with a 2:1 this year. I know it's going to get us into debt, and I felt pretty selfish about it too but I know that in the long run it's going to be better for the family, I can get a better job doing something I actually want to do and it's going to make things easier on my husband in the long run. He hates his job so I feel like when I have my career up and running it will give him the chance to really think about what he wants to do and go after that x

Absolutely doable. Yes it's juggling childcare and studying but other students are juggling studying with the tough job of binge drinking til 4am every night and they manage it so it must be doable! :)

^^ :haha: that's so true! I've been thinking about it like I'll have an advantage because I absolutely have to be up at 6am every morning with my DD whereas more carefree students won't be able to resist the temptation to stay in bed :haha:

mummymay, I'm doing an allied health professions course as well :)

I'm a student Mummy... I love it. Much prefer it to being on maternity leave...

I took a year off when my LO was born, as he was born early / small. So my degree ends up taking longer. But I get so much time off with him.. and theyre so flexible. Financially theyre brilliant too. I started back at Uni when Riley was 9 months old.. And they paid his childcare. I also was only in 4 half days a week,so I got most of my time with him. Now he's 2.5, I'm starting my full time work placement. In my final year ill get much more time off and be able to be with him his last year before school! Perfect.

Financially, its fine. It is stressful around exam times when everyone else has plenty of time to revise; and youre struggling with children x

I did uni as a 19-21 year old, unattached no kids living on campus and my grades were a level lower than what I am getting now, I did what I needed to do to get my 2.1 but I never really pushed myself, I felt like the whole world was on my shoulders doing my undergrad despite not actually having any responsibilities! I have so much more drive and reason to do well this time, I want to prove it to myself, my family and I enjoy doing it because it's a change from being mum.

My friend was able to manage during uni... Except that she had a super support system to help her out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->