Any Mums of 2+ whos done birth with 'and' without the epi

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Hi girls

Have any of you gone 2 rounds or more and had experience of having the epi and not having the epi? Could you give me you views on it? Would you go with or without? Why etc? And was it much worse without?

I had epi with Caitlin but I'm split between having it again and not depending if labour is quicker this time.

x

I havent but.

When I was waiting for Oscar my sis-in-law had just had her second.
She had an epi on the first and gas+air with Pethidine on the second. He advice to be was not to have the epi.
I found giving birth without the epi eventful to say the least :lol: it was a wonderful experience and I got high on the G+A cos I kept brearthing it inbetween contarctions (i never told you);)

Oh I had it all :lol:

If I'd have been able I'd have twonked the nurse who to my gas and air durin the actual birth LOL Think it was because my contactions stopped and me I was more interested in the gas lmao!!!

ive had an epi and just gas and air.
the epi was bliss but made the birth slower, i would however consider it again if i was in loads of pain.

with clara i survived on gas and air that was murder at the time but labour was over faster as i stayed active until 9cm

xxxlouisexxx

oh another thing with g&a i agree sent me hyper, made me say weird things i had double vision hehehe i was spaced out lol midwife told me id been sucking it too hard and not breathing out as much as i should have hehehe i remeber asking if i could take a canister home so i could take it out round town lol

i have had the epi both times i was to scared not to lol and the worse thing forhaving the epi is tohave the cafetia how ever you spell it and the drip but thats it i duno what to do on the third time

with my first i had gas and air and pethedind and i was out of it, i had a really quick labour aswell, my second was a diff matter, i was ill it lasted forever and i had to have an epi (my god it was the best thing ever) i would def do it again until i think about the catheter....that hurt me more than the labour!!

h x

with my first i had gas and air and pethedind and i was out of it, i had a really quick labour aswell, my second was a diff matter, i was ill it lasted forever and i had to have an epi (my god it was the best thing ever) i would def do it again until i think about the catheter....that hurt me more than the labour!!

h x

yeh the catheter is the worst speacialy when they take that andthe dripout ouch!

I did first with (induction) and second without (spontaneous).

I decided after #1 I definately didnt want one with #2 and this was further confirmed after being my sisters birth partner.

I found that being on my back on a monitor meant the whole thing took way longer than it needed to. I wanted to use gravity this time. Now dont get me wrong - epis are magic when they work properly and mine worked perfectly but it meant it took bloody ages (16hrs HARD labour) and I was too shagged to push properly so it was forceps to pull her out.

Watching my sister go through her labour a year ago reminded me why I didnt want one again. She did so well and I tried briefly to talk her out of it but it was her labour and her baby so her choice not mine. She had the epi and laid there for hours not getting anywhere, too knackered to push, failed forceps and emergency section. Of course that aint gonna happen to everyone but it was our two experiences - the plus side was she was awake for the section.

This time I wrote in my birth plan 'dont give me an epi even if I scream for one which I probably will!' Of course 45 mins before she was born I was screaming for an epi!! :rofl: But that was as I was in transition and I was pushing minutes later. I did it with everything else - TENS, G&A and pethadine and it was sooooo much better. I could get up and about when I wanted, changed positions easily and had a bath and some time in the pool. I had just 6 hrs hard labour this time.

If I have anymore I'll be doing it the same!!

Thanks girls

And thanks mervs mum - did you have any problems after your epi? Mine kills but I swore I'd still have an epi! I'm not good with pain quite wimpy lol BUT I did think that how shit I felt was down to be knackered now it makes sense - do they really prolong thing for all or most? :D I felt my birth it hurt yet Ive seen some say they felt hardly nothing so now Im wondering if mine had kind of lost power yet it still stopped me from moving about 'after' which was frustrating as hell!!!
I'm undecide don the pain factor :lol:!!

Do TENS really help? What one did you have?

I dont have any probs from the epi but it was 14 yrs ago!!!

I found the TENS machine really helpful - I think they mainly distract you!! :rofl: I had this one..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Clock-Lady-TENS-obstetric/dp/B000A1QKGC

I think it was alot to do with the fact I'd really decided that I wasnt having a epi under any circumstances. So I really wanted the TENS to work so I could save the G&A and pethadine for when I REALLY needed it! :lol:

I think its like anything else - some people rate them others hate them. I have read a lot of people saying they felt it was a longer carry on though :shrug:

I am a total wimp with pain! I shouted OWCH when they gave me the injection to get the placenta out!!! OH was 'WTF?! as if you said ouch to a little friggin needle after pushing a 8lb 11oz baby out!' :rofl:

I think the reason I did it with out was coz I had said it from the outset and was determinded from the start but as I said once we were in the thick of it I'd have eaten my arm off for one at one point!!

I have given birth to the kids with g/a apart from Ryan who I also had pethidine with and c/s.

I had a epi though after I had Joe because I went to theatre (to get my placenta out) but it was a complete block and it did free me from the pain I was in at the time.

I have had back problems since though which is another reason why I wouldnt have one again, I think I'd opt for a gen/anaet if I had to go to theatre again.

Gas/air is good but does very little to take pain away but does add as a distraction and helps control your breathing and lets face it makes us feel rat arsed:lol:

So g/a all the way for me but I have to say getting the epi in was very straightforward and pain free and I wouldn't be afraid to get one in but 'I felt' it did leave my back weaker :(

i had g&a with nicole and it sent me to sleep, apparently midwifes kept looking in on me and i was fast asleep.

Had to have an epi with callum to get him out quick and it was the best thing in the world, would defo have one again (not that im having anymore kids tho!!) and havent had any problems since.

I haven't given birth more then once, but I had an epi with my c-section, and if I'm ever allowed to have a normal pregnancy I plan to go all natural . I had the worst side effects from the epi, and never want to go through that again. I had the epidural headache, couldn't stand up straight, eat, or be around lights for two weeks.

My back kills since the epi I can only assume its that = although its not put me off it has made me worry it could make that worse yet OH says sometimes the thing that caused it cures it? I just think he liked the fact I didn't beat him up in the delivery room tbh and wants me to have it again :rofl: totally undecided.

With Caitlin I was an emotional and mental WRECK from start to finish when she was born I honestly felt so much relief than that sudden rush of love some talk of and wanted sleep! I was just so relieved blah blah blah

I guess I have some time still to think about this

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"