Any nurses out there? Administering chemo while pregnant?

butterbaby

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an oncology nurse who works in a chemo treatment room so essentially I am around chemo all day. We don't wear any special protection aside from chemo-resistant gloves which has never been a huge concern to me. A few of the nurses have given chemo throughout their pregnancies and had no issues so I figured I would be okay with it as well.

Well of course now that I'm pregnant I'm second guessing everything. The research out there doesn't give a very clear answer but basically says if you can avoid administering chemo while pregnant you should. I've been on vacation since a few days after conception so very little exposure so far. I don't know what to do as part of me feels silly worrying when I know that many nurses have had healthy babies while working where I do. Still I can't help but think I'm the one that will have a miscarriage and then I'll of course blame work, or worse have issues when baby is born.

I do have the option of asking to work in a clinic while pregnant and not in chemo but I'm still quite new to oncology nursing and not sure I would be able to do that job well. Ugh... I guess this is more of a vent but just in case any of you ladies have any experience in this I would love to hear it.

Also I know it's easy to say 'no don't do it!' but I'm looking for educated/experienced responses, no offense :flower:

Hi,
I'm a nurse on an oncology unit however I don't actually administer chemo - I am around it (double check, top up, take down etc) we always wear aprons gloves, arm sleeves, and goggles to administer or check. Pregnant nurses on my ward don't go near chemo - or the sluice so they don't come in contact whilst disposing of urine etc.
I would really talk to work about your situation.

I think as long as you follow precautions you should be fine, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it as you've said you only wear gloves?
I would tell work about your situation and they may be able to put in other safety measures for you?

I haven't told work yet (I'm only 4+ weeks) and I don't actually administer so I'm hanging off abit.

This isn't much help but just my experience lol hope all is well xx

My mum was an oncology nurse (not anymore due to her own cancer) and there is ALWAYS at least 1 member of staff pregnant. They take the precautions and are fine.

Your workplace should have official guidelines for this and as soon as you tell them should put a risk assessment in place for you. I'd talk to someone at work and find out what expected procedure is - they have a duty of care to protect you and baby once they know the situation.

Thanks for all your input. I have emailed my manager to let him know I'm pregnant and asked how I should proceed. I was hoping to not tell others right away but at the same time I'm itching to tell someone aside from DH. Our safety is my main focus but with this being so new I sometimes forget it's not just me anymore. Thanks again!

I work on an oncology/medical ward but we do not administer chemotherapy but look after some patients who have had it . We have very strict precautions and in the chemotherapy suite the chemo nurses (who administer the chemotherapy) wear full protective PPE. I am actually training to administer chemotherapy, but due to this pregnancy I will complete my training at a later date. We are advised to limit our exposure to patients who have received chemotherapy in the past 7 days while pregnant, which can be hard to do will be easier once I have told everyone about the pregnancy.

I'm a pharmacist and have previously worked in hospitals administering/manufacturing chemo. We would not let a pregnant lady near the chemo, just for safety! It's just too unknown.

Well I went to work today and explained my situation to my manger and charge nurse and they were both very supportive and accommodating. All my coworkers seemed to be happy and very understanding and willing to help.

The first 3 months is when chemo is most harmful to the fetus so until my second trimester I will not be administering any of it, just doing other treatments and tasks not involving chemo. Maybe even after that, but we'll see. We're looking more closely at policies as I'm the first person that's been pregnant working there in a few years. The closest I'll get to chemo is disconnecting the IV after treatment but by that time it's just saline in the line anyhow.

I know the risks are fairly unknown but that's only because it's unethical do to testing. Based on anecdotal evidence it seems to not be an issue if following safety protocols. In fairness we do give chemo to pregnant women after the first trimester and I've seen one of the babies, delivered completely healthy. Thanks for all your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->