Any one NOT do birthday parties for their kids! I feel in a minority !

hypnorm

Reaction score
So as the title goes who doesn't do parties for their kids?
I feel a bit of a meany but we have never done parties for either of the kids.
Ewan has his in the middle of the school summer holidays anyway so I doubt anyone would be around! (22nd August) and Robyn is in the cold February months.
We tend to spend it as a family or go out, it just seems insane some of the amount people spend on one party. He has been to afew of his class mate parties where the whole class has been there.

If we did a party for them we wouldn't be able to buy a present! I might do one in the future but at the moment it just seems like a load of peer pressure and who has the best party at school.

We don't :) We don't celebrate Birthdays for religious reasons (we have alternative occasions we celebrate on) but even if we did we wouldn't do parties, my parents never did parties for us growing up and now I understand why much nicer to spend time as a family as opposed to spending hundreds if not thousands on a party which can often be overwhelming for really small kids xx

I only rarely had parties as a kid - in fact, I can only remember 2 birthdays with a "Party". One at home, and one was at our local wildlife park. I tended to either have family days, or I'd get a treat like going swimming + cinema with a few of my best friends.

Roo is only two, but we didn't do a party for her this year. I don't know if we will next year either :shrug:

Aw I LOVE parties. For Summer's first we had forty people at our house for a garden party with bouncy castles, pools, trampolines, games etc. Summer had an amazing time and was spoilt rotten. Most of the guests were family though.

I won't have 'proper' parties for the girls every year though (so I say now). I suppose it'll all depend on money etc. I LOVED my birthday parties as a kid but I do think the prices some people pay are just absurd!

We dont. Dont celebrate birthdays here either but plan on doing what i did growing up....having parties for no reason with games food etc just randomly to get all the kids together!!! :)

I don't think I will be throwing parties for my future children either. I will however probably make a good day of it though by getting together with family and maybe out for a birthday treat.

I don't remember having a party every year, I remember I had one when I was 1 (All Family), 6 (Fancy dress at home) & 21 (In a social club). I think parties are way to expensive and stressful, my mum use to celebrate my birthday by taking me to McDonalds as it was the only time I got one lol.

I don't know if we will have a party every year but we are for Fran's first in a few weeks.

When I was a kid we always had birthday parties at home with a little tea party for 5 or 6 friends - and I loved them! My birthday is in January so cold too and a nice cosy party was really nice. That's the sort of thing I will do for Fran if she has parties - I'm not going to go over the top like some people do, although that's totally their choice!

We haven't so far for Joshua, this year (his Birthday is today), we took him to the Sealife Centre on Sunday just gone. On this Sat, we're having a 'tea party' at my mams, but it's going to be me, DH, mam, dad & my sis & we're going to have takeaway.

I don't think we'll do big parties, probably take him & a few friends to MacDs/Pizza Hut & Cinema.

Mine have (will) only a party for their 5th, by this time they should have made friends and settled in to school a bit. On the rest of their birthdays we go out as a family to somewhere of their choice. :)

We dont, Alexs first was a close friends and family gathering...maybe a party? But it was in a tiny living room and no room to do anything but sit down :lol:
2nd birthday was a day out with the three of us and his 3rd will likely be similar too

We havent - yet. I was a little tempted to do one this year, but she is too little. I think when she is bigger and she has a real group of proper friends, she can have a party.

Her birthday was on the 1st, and we took her out for the day. :)

I didnt have a party for my daughters 1st 2nd or 3rd birthday but for her 4th birthday im having one for her on saturday because she said she would like a party, plus she loves other children shes very sociable and i dont know anyone with kids so it would be nice for her to have kids to play with on a special day. I had parties as a child and i loved them! so did the kids who came. Also it doesnt have to be exspensive! im not spending very much on her birthday (i dont have a lot of pennys spare) but i know that theres tons of ways you can make it special and fun for the kids without spending a fortune. The problem i find is getting the kids to come to the party. And when parents turn the parties into a "who holds the best kids party" competition i just think thats sad and very selfish.. im having a party for my daughters sake and il spend what i can and if other mums think there childs party was better than the one i have for my child they can think it all they like! it wouldnt bother me whats important is that my daughter enjoys herself. Kids dont need a party all the time, there are alot of other fun things to do to make a childs birthday special :flower:

We dont plan on doing parties till lo is atleast 6 can can choose people and other stuff

Oh has kids with his ex and she spends around £300 on both of there parties!! I personally think this is crazy at there last bdays they where 3 & 4!!! It just seems tooo much, they wont remember and i think theyd much prefer a £300 pressie than a 2 hour party but :shrug:

I always have done , but i have friends that never do.
Its personal preference! Dont feel bad about not doing them, its up to you , afterall you have to foot the bill and they do get pricey!

I don't tend to (usually tell people they're welcome to come round at tea time for the cake), but I did the other week for Kaya's 4th because she asked. That said, there's no way I would do the whole soft play, entertainers etc. Kids are happy with musical bumps and pass the parcel.

I dont do parties as such but on the day I have open house & if family/friends want to pop in for some cake & a cuppa then so be it I take her for a day out instead this year we went to london had food & went to see the lion king I'd rather spend the money on something like that

I will probably take Joel for a family day out but let him take a couple of best friends - I'd let him have parties when he's a teenager though (would rather have him in the house rather than out getting drunk in a field)

My boy is an august baby and has never had a big party as 1) its in the summer holidays and 2) he would hate it lol we just do a special day out and birthday tea at home.

DD had a party last year, bouncy castle and disco. It was her first party at school and she loved it but next year I am going to take her ice skating with 3 of her friends x

When I was growing up I don't remember parties like they are now at the local farm, playcentre or theme park etc.
I remember having a few friends from school coming round to the house and playing party games.
I don't remember going to a lot of parties neither whilst growing up.
I don't know what I'll be doing about Isaacs birthdays and when he's going to nursery and school.
I think I'd rather go away just me, him and his daddy for the weekend whilst he's still young and school hours don't get in the way.
When I was 10-15 I remember going to 'expensive' birthday trips to Paris (Disneyland), London and Lake Districts plus presents.
It's odd how times have change and what children expect for their birthdays now. e.g. I work in a nursery and all the pre-school children have parties. We've got 70 children in that room over 5 days and I can now feel for the parents who thought great 'my child has got two parties this weekend, one next weekend and I'm glad we've got a break the weekend after'.
It's the cost of presents, getting there and then not spending 'family time' etc and plans may need changing. :shrug:. I might sound like I'm against Parties for Children. I'm honestly not. Just the price for them is ridiculous and mainly school children 29-32 children in a room thats a lot of presents over a school term.
Also I'm worrying about the years after years and ideas run out! :shrug:..
I suppose with Isaac being born on Bonfire Day he can go to a few Bonfire Shows for a few years and get them used to cover up paying for somewhere/something etc.. Scrooge I know!

Depends what you mean by parties, I almost always had my 3/4 best friends over for a sleepover so not sure if that counts :shrug: I will definitely celebrate birthdays with my kids though. They are some of my best memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->