Any one NOT do birthday parties for their kids! I feel in a minority !

I haven't so far. LO's birthday is about a month before Christmas, and I usually just find that the expense of a birthday party at that time of year is just way too hard!

We've not yet for Ellis but we may do something for his 3rd. Growing up I never did, my birthday is December 22nd so Christmas overshadows it.

A friend went to a 2nd birthday party at the weekend where the parents spent £300 on the cake!!!! Madness!!!!

I will be having parties for my LO and will try and make them the best ever!!....because...I felt very alienated as a child because my mum couldn't afford to do parties for me (or take me out etc) and I was the only person in the whole class who didn't have them and subsequently I was the only one in the class not invited to other peoples parties. The only one!! I don't want my LO to ever have to feel like I did. x

I will be having parties for my LO and will try and make them the best ever!!....because...I felt very alienated as a child because my mum couldn't afford to do parties for me (or take me out etc) and I was the only person in the whole class who didn't have them and subsequently I was the only one in the class not invited to other peoples parties. The only one!! I don't want my LO to ever have to feel like I did. x

Now I feel that is the wrong reason to have a party, to make your child feel popular. I don't think is necessarily works, my boy isn't particularly popular at school and I don't feel that letting him have a party every year would make any difference to that as he is very loud and quite big for his age, so it puts people off him anyway! I'd be inviting all the class half of them never speak to him anyway.

I must admit I really do not see the point of doing parties for kids under the age of 4, its more for the parents I think. A friend had a bouncy castle, and entertainer for her 1 yr olds birthday...

Now I feel that is the wrong reason to have a party, to make your child feel popular. I don't think is necessarily works, my boy isn't particularly popular at school and I don't feel that letting him have a party every year would make any difference to that as he is very loud and quite big for his age, so it puts people off him anyway! I'd be inviting all the class half of them never speak to him anyway.

I must admit I really do not see the point of doing parties for kids under the age of 4, its more for the parents I think. A friend had a bouncy castle, and entertainer for her 1 yr olds birthday...

I dont think I would want either of mine to be the "popular kid" I also wouldnt invite to a party just for the sake of it or to get an invite back. I think smaller party's are more personal but that's just my opinion. Neither of my children are huge fans of big partys anyway xx (although DD is 21 same time as I am 40 so thats a no choice but a big party haha)

We did nothing for there first bdays not even a pressent. For there 2nd dd had a little tea party and ds had a BBQ (in oct!) for dd 3rd she had a party with her friends from playschool and for her 4th were going Disneyland lol but she's a leapyear baby! They will have little tea party's or days out with family for birthday :) when inwas growing up I only ever had one birthday party lol at mcdonalds! After age 10-11 I had sleepovers

I no, i wish they still did it haha we'd get slated now days if we did it now lol

I had the best party ever there, I remember having to pick a friend for something and I picked my sister haha. Such a cool party, wish they still did them ;)

My eldest 2 are 8 and 12 and they have only ever had one 'proper' party each , think it was the year of their 4th and 8th birthdays, dd had hers at a soft play place and ds had his at a bowling alley. They were ok but overpriced imo for what you get, id rather spend it on something better for them.
When they were little we just had a little tea party at home for family and close friends to come to, and on all other birthdays they get to choose to go out somewhere maybe with a friend too, or we all go bowling, or for a meal etc, or a little party at home for a few friends. I really dont feel theyve missed out on anything! My brother and sil have a massive party in a hall with entertainers etc for both their kids every year, but i dont see the point in all that. when theyre older i dont mind if they want a big party/disco type thing.

We had parties for their first and for DS second we took him out for the day.

I think that we will take them out for the day as a family and then when they do get older, maybe have a party? Not quite sure if I'd do it every year, but it wouldn't be a massive thing, probably family friends and their closest friends? I don't know the 'rules' yet of a school mum IYKWIM? (I know my mum would have had to invite the whole class when we were at school)

We use to take in cakes that we had made though, so it was like our own little party during break?

I cannot control how my life turned out as a child as I was a passive subject in the whole matter but I can now, as an adult, remember how I felt to be isolated. I don't believe you can 'make a popular' child simply by having parties...I think they become the popular kid by being nice to people. Since you didn't have the same experiences as me I dont think you could pishposh things to suit yourself. Its an horrendous feeling to be left out...maybe we are from a different age group and it wasn't as prevalent in yours but it was for me in the early 80's!! So thank you both for your input but I will still be having parties. Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! p.s why wouldn't I want to celebrate their birth???

I was nice to people at school and you know wher that got me? Being bullied all The way though school! I wasn't popular I wasn't in the 'in' crowd but I had genuine friends. I'm still celebrating their birthdays but spending £300 every year seems silly and i might once they are older suggest that they could have a birthday party of their choice or a day out as a family. We will celebrate as a family.. I'm hardly going to ignore their birthday:wacko:
Oh and I'm 34.

When I was young I didn't like big gatherings and lots of people and I was and still am quite shy.

My daughters not a party person. She is 5 and she said she hates it when little girls scream when they are playing games etc. She is not into all that singing/dancing stuff lol. She would be happier going to farm.

I guess it depends whats easiest for you.

For us, my OH has a bro and sister younger than him. My kids are 5 & 7 and their aunty and uncle are 4& 7 so all the kids are really close in age. We normally just take them 4 out rather than friends from school!

I haven't had a proper party for either of mine. We have little tea parties at home/go to pizza hut for a meal. They can have a big party for their 18th/21st but not when Kids..

we usually do a day out with a friend or 2... mainly because i dont know many kids caitlyns age to invite. When she's old enough to have little friends and stuff ill do her a party :) looking forward to it x

we had a party for Laila's 1st and 2nd birthday, just at the house, but it cost a bloody fortune with food and party bags, themed plates/napkins/balloons etc.. don't think i'll be doing it again! will do Romanes 1st and 2nd probably but he's in the summer so will probs just do a garden party xx

I don't.

Mollie and Katie both had 1st Birthday parties but non since.

V xxx

after talking to people with kids are at primary school I'm not going to bother, it's all one big popularity/one upmanship contest! My nieces school won't allow party invites to be given out as parents have been upset and had it out with parents when their Childs not been invited! Think I'll stick to family older until high school!

after talking to people with kids are at primary school I'm not going to bother, it's all one big popularity/one upmanship contest! My nieces school won't allow party invites to be given out as parents have been upset and had it out with parents when their Childs not been invited! Think I'll stick to family older until high school!

It is! we have been to some ridiculous partys and its all organic and boring "party" food now. Wheres the fun in that lol I want panda pop and party rings :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->